Saturday, 1 January 2011

Last Night I Slept Well

.
I was up at five this morning as usual.
Two hungry felines paced up and down the hall as they do every morning.
This morning to them was just like any other start to the day in their little lives.
Last night I slept well.
.
.
I usually have no trouble at all in getting a good nights sleep except for one night of the year - December 31st.
This is the night when half the population tries very hard, and usually succeeds, in depriving the other half of the population of a peaceful nights slumber.
Every year as I reach that last day on the calendar I become more and more upset knowing that after a couple of hours sleep that night, I am going to be woken up by inconsiderate people setting off explosives in their back gardens.
So imagine my surprise and relief, when I found out that I had slept right through it.


Last night I slept well.
.
.
I was also pleased to read on numerous web pages, newspapers and blogs, that I am not alone in feeling this way.
Just to quote one - Peter Hitchens had this to say:-

“And as I am actively hostile to the 'New Year', a celebration of nothing in particular generally encouraged by states which loathe Christmas, I'll try to make no further mention of this empty, insignificant moment, for which non-devotees now have to buy earplugs if we wish to sleep, since the 'New Year' lot seem to think they are entitled to shatter the midnight peace with colossal explosions and high-pitched whistles.”

A “Miserable Toad” my sister-in-law sometimes calls me, but this is no so.

I have absolutely no problem with anybody, anywhere, celebrating whatever they like, as long as their celebrations do not in any way affect other people.
Last night people were celebrating a ‘man-made’ event of little significance to me, namely the hanging up of a new calendar on the kitchen wall.

.
.
Society could have chosen any of the 365 days (approx)
that the earth takes to orbit the Sun, as its starting point..
January 1st is not the longest day.
It is not the shortest day.
It is just one of several standards that we all use for convenience.
For example, the taxman uses April for the start of his year.

If last night, at midnight, people were celebrating one orbit of the Earth around the Sun, they were too early by approximately six hours! It takes 365 and ¼ days for a complete orbit.

However,
allow this Grumpy Old Man to wish you all the
Best of Everything over the next 365 days.
2011 could be a 'bumpy ride' for some.
I hope you all, miss the 'potholes and bumps' !
.



17 comments:

  1. A Happy New Year to you, too!
    In my household, we've given up trying to get any sleep on New Year's eve - we bring in the felines, and finish off the Christmas cake and any beverages, and watch an old movie. All that makes any noise from cars and parties fade away. Then, next morning we sleep in like the rest of the neighbourhood. :)
    I hope this year is a good one for all.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a big fan of the celebration either. It is always my least favourite time of year.

    I wish you all the best for 2011 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bernard the grump,

    Happy new whatsit to you, Wesley and Hazel, may your organ never stop grinding, your sardines stay in their tins and your garden never get invaded by pigmys'.

    All the best.

    Angus

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean. I think I've said I don't 'get' New Year. It's just another day, another month. It would be more meaningful if it was 21st December, the turn of the year, the lengthening of days. Ooops. That could be a post for me. See you on SC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. and a Happy New Year to you too... xx I was so tired out yesterday by all the writing and then a glass or two of wine with dinner that the duvet enticed me by 10pm.. I almost woke up when the fireworks went off but otherwise slept through til 6am and Murphy wanted to go out and then have his breakfast... this mornings walk was done carefully to avoid all the broken glass which was lying around on the roads and paths.. not sure what was being celebrated but it goes on without me having a big part lol xx all the best for MMXI

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you Uncle B, we had an awful night, with a panting, shivering, bulgy-eyed dog frantic with fear at the exlosions outside, seemingly right outside the windows.
    Ban sales of fireworks to the public, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy new whatsit from me too Uncle B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank heaven it is illegal to buy fireworks here so we don't have them going off everywhere. There are those huge displays in the capital cities where they burn off about 5 million dollars worth in half an hour while there are people everywhere whose homes have been completely wrecked by floodwaters who get very little financial help.
    Happy New Year to you Bernard. I hope the year ahead is a good one for you. I have enjoyed the last year with you and look forward to more fun in the year ahead.
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I seem to have been quite lucky - only a few whistles, explosions and sizzles and no rocket sticks in the garden this year! Ashley was out when the noise began but soon came indoors. I think he's getting deaf which has its compensations on a firework night.
    Sylve

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lot of family traditions and culinary delights were attached to the Day celebration in my French Québec youth. Now of course the families are disseminated and the old generations gone. New Year means less and less except, as you mention, the changing of the calendar. For the church goers, on the 6th, we still have the Epiphany, the Day of the three Magi. At home, we bake the Galette with a feve for the King who will choose a Queen for the day. I do it out of nostalgia.

    The best of everything for you. May music and wine give you moments of joy in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good afternoon Uncle B., wish you and your lovely cats all the best and lots of happyness and health in 2011..ifor one am glad those days are over...i like Christmas somewhat but i dont like the new yearscelebrations...its a bit to "tear-jerking" and lout for me...i told my sons to go and celebrate with their family`s friends and no binding visits because their parent`s are ( by choice) alone at home...we like it that way..we settle for the good wishes from them by looking and talking a bit through the webcam..
    so...here we are again... in a new year...hope you have a good one!!!
    greetings..Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greetings everyone!
    Now to save my poor old fore-finger from prodding out:-
    “Happy New Year and Best Wishes for 2011” eleven times, please allow me to type once only, - Thank you all and I wish you all - the very best of luck for the coming year.

    Hi Kate: Thanks for that link to the choir. I had not heard it sung either.
    Finish off the Christmas cake? Gosh. That must be bit ’heavy to sleep on’!
    At least you don’t get fireworks.

    Hello Cherie, I know what you mean. Life is all ‘ups and downs’.
    Without the ‘downs’ we would not enjoy the ‘ups’ half as much.

    Thanks Angus - and ‘A Happy New Calendar’ to you too.

    Hi Foody: I was reading a blogger post, who thought the New Year should be in the Spring with all the new lambs and new growth on the land. A nice idea, don’t you think?
    Yes please. Do a post. Hope your thumb is recovering?


    Only “A glass or two of wine”, Sage? I think I had the best part of a bottle last night.
    Mostly for my heart, the rest to help me sleep through it all. Which it did!
    Broken glass is no joke when walking the dog. Take care - all the best.
    I like the MMXI. :D
    I must remember that for next year.

    I am so sorry Kath, that sounds awful.
    Australia have banned them in private gardens, and although I think we here have too many things banned - this is one that I would go along with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Molly. And a Happy New ‘thingie’ to you and all you family.
    Thanks for all your lovely comments and happy gardening 2011.

    I wish we had some common sense here Helen.
    Not only are (excessive) fireworks a waste of money, they are also produce a terrible amount of pollution. Thanks for your kind support. I’m glad you enjoy my ‘grumbles‘ and ‘rambling’.

    Hello Sylve:
    I think there must have been a shortage of money. Bonfire night was also far quieter than usual. In the past, NYE and Nov 5 were terrible times for the cats. In those days I had four and they were all dashing about trying to find a place to hide. My Hazel is also a bit hard of hearing. She doesn’t seem quite as concerned as she used to be.

    Good evening Claude,
    I was going to post up some music for you, but couldn’t decide what was best for Jan 1st. I had a little verse and Kate kindly found the music for it on YouTube. It is here if you want to hear it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSCLCn9tO1M&feature=related
    I shall pour a glass of wine and play it again.

    Good evening Francien.
    Thank you for you kind wishes. I wish you and all your family the same. I join you in feeling relief that it is over for another year. Still, the children enjoy it all as we did also - a couple of years ago!
    I agree, New Years party’s are too loud. And, I also agree it is nice to be snug and warm at home, with your lovely British (English) Bulldoggen, Meisje. Give her a kiss from me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't celebrate New Year but I'm always excited when I wake up to hear others letting off fireworks. I sort of catch a sense of something being crossed, something new. It's even better since I've lived by the sea and I hear the ships sounding their horns at the same time. This is deeply moving (as well as sounded on a deep note note which vibrates right into one's ribs). The only other time they do this together is at the end of the silence on Armistice Day.

    Esther

    P.S. I never found your garden tools post. Was I looking on the wrong blog? E.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Esther,
    I think we may have to agree to differ on the subject of fireworks, but I do like the idea of all the ships sounding their horns together. :)
    The 'crossing' that you mention is really taking place at the Winter Solstice. Years ago farmers could now look forward to longer days and more time in the fields.
    My bit on tools was nothing 'to write home about',(not a patch on your posts), but thanks for showing an interest. On the right hand side is a list of 'Labels' and a click on 'Gardens' will sort them all out. I think that post you are looking for is the second one down. A "Rake Around", or something like that.
    Cheers.....Bernard
    .....or you can find it from here -
    monkey-organ.blogspot.com/search/label/Garden

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy, Healthy New Year to you and your family. I agree with you about the celebrants. We usually stay home and have to endure the fireworks and the dogs' responses. This time we were away at a resort hotel; not realizing that it was "family week." There were tons of kids racing around all day and evening. New Year's eve was quiet enough, we thought, until 12:15, when "they all" came stumbling past our first floor room, back from the party at the hotel. Too much drink and not much sense. Had fun in spite of them all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Lady B.
    Quite a few people have said it was quieter than previous years. :)
    There is less 'money to burn' at the moment.

    Thank you Myrna.
    I trust it wasn't the kids that came stumbling past at 12:15? :)
    Or do they start early in Californa? LOL
    Best wishes for 2011.

    ReplyDelete