Saturday, 22 January 2011

On "Idioms", "Eponyms" and "Anecdotes".

.
I was reading up, and feeling a bit depressed
about these awful floods in Australia,
when I came across this picture.

This cheered me up no end,
especially trying to think up a caption.
.
.
I was going to digger out the music for -
“Michael Roo the Boat Ashore”.

Then I thought you may think …
I had "Kangaroos in my Top Paddock!.“ (eccentric!).

That, I believe, is called a ‘Idiom’.

As is “Takes the Biscuit”.

.
.
I love not only these phrases but, words in general
although I’m afraid they tend to be mainly English words,
as I do not know more than a smidgeon of those from other countries.
Now there’s a nice word - ‘smidgeon‘.
When did you last hear anyone use that?
Or how about the word skerrick?
It was my Gran that introduced me to this one.
“Would you like some more gravy?” she might ask.
“Just a skerrick Nan, thanks.”

Todays words though, leave me cold.
They are complicated, contrived and down right ugly.
They seem to be made up on the spot to confuse
and to show how important the speaker thinks he is.
What, for example, is 'stagflation' or a 'rhetorician'?

The other day I was listening to a talking book.
I much prefer these tapes to books as the old ‘mince pies’ aren’t what they used to be.
Up pops a word that had a nice sound to it - ‘Risible‘.
Stop the tape! Look it up!
Ah, - ‘laughable‘, ‘ludicrous’.
A very useful word in times of politically correct clap trap,
and ‘elf ‘n safety restrictions, don’t you think?

A little further on I was treated to ‘bibelot’.
Mmmm, has a French aura around it. What can it be?
Mais Oui, a ‘small curio’, an ‘artistic trinket’.
(Collins says:- C19: from French, from Old French beubelet ,
perhaps from a reduplication of bel, beautiful)
Fascinating. My house is full of these bibelot‘s.

And books!
.
.
Up, on the top shelf, is a row of dictionaries.
Not French/English or German/English but things like -

The Penguin Dictionary of Historical Slang.
Cassel’s Dictionary of Superstitions.
The Penguin Dictionary of Proverbs.
A Dictionary of English Plant Names.

To name but a few.

Then I have these unusual ones -

Oxford Dictionary of Idioms. (as easy as ABC!)
A Dictionary of Eponyms. (Hoover those up!)
And a Dictionary of Anecdotes. (a brief chronicle?)
.
.
How about:-
“As Rare as Hen’s Teeth.”
or
“It had the aroma of an Arab’s armpit!”

For me, that is just soooo descriptive.

There, are these fellows, wrapped up in towels, riding camels in temperatures well up in hundreds (F of course). Sand as far as the eye can see and no water for hundreds of miles.
When did they last wash their laundry? Or worse still, when did they last shower beneath their armpits?
Is there a name for these?
The phrases that is - not the Arabs!

.

15 comments:

  1. How 'bout a dictionary of Quotations? hours of entertainment and Bloggy inspiration there :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have it Kath,
    It's the second one in on the right.
    Yes lots of fun.
    But not much of a 'story line'! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, first book picture....
    .... second in on the LEFT.
    Two glasses of wine on a Saturday evening and I'm (anybody's) all over the place! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Michael roo the boat ashore' LOL. Uncle B - you are a one! Great picture - great rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sadden'd by the loss of life out there Molly, but always feel the need to see the other side, and to see some being saved - even though they are only Roo's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Idioms are wonderful. It's interesting too that you can tell where a person comes from in an English speaking country by their use of these expressions.

    One example: whether you say "A kangaroo loose in the top paddock" or "A few sandwiches short of a picnic" defines a person as north or south here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am pleased that chickens got a mention.
    I get annoyed nowadays about how they make up words when there are already less complicated words in existence that mean exactly the same thing. The old fashioned ones are alright because they aren't just made up by twits, they came into being and have proper derivations etc.
    I didn't know that some of these books of yours even existed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It appears that we have the same taste in books, Bernard. I picked a couple of mine - 'Bloomers, Biros and Wellington Boots' and 'Stipple, Wink and Gusset' - both giving info on the people who gave their names to the items in the titles - and lots of other people, too. I don't have your Historical Slang book, though, will have to look on eBay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you keep going I will! That write up on PC was great, where was it from/ (Not the Mail I hope) On second thoughts, too erudite for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love "Michael Roo the Boat Ashore." Hallelujah! I really envy your collection of Dictionaries. I love words, but had to look up the spelling of hallelujah. I must be old, but I still use the word "smidgen." As "I'll just have a smidgen of that gorgeous chocolate dessert." Each to his/her own smidgen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kate:
    Looking back through some of my posts, I notice that I tend to use them a lot without noticing. “A few sandwiches short of a picnic” is a new one for me. I like it!

    Morning Foody:
    “Chickens”. Well I do try. :)
    I’m with you on words being too complicated. In sixth form at school, we had a book called ’The Complete Plain Words’. I think it was by a chap called Ernest Gowers .
    (Yes. I just googled - pub 1954). As several have expressed interest, I may show a few more in another post.

    Hi Sylve’
    I’m sure we do. I have about forty books on the Chilterns and a similar number on the Thames. I have seen those two you mention in book shops. Very similar to my one on Eponyms. I have too many now and havn’t bought a new one years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Ken,
    I’m still going - just. After two years, new ideas are becoming difficult.
    I didn’t know you were thinking of quiting? Don’t worry about all these new followers. Pop over and see Maddie Grig. http://worldfrommywindow.blogspot.com/
    She has survived it all and now things have died down, the situation is back to normal.
    No, not the Mail. I’ve had that filed away for some time. Can’t remember where it came from.

    Hi Myrna:
    I too would have to look up “Hallelujah”. :(
    I’m a great one for putting in too many ‘doubles’! Ss, ll, ff, and the like. Thank heavens for spell checkers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great collection of dictionaries. I have a few but no where near as many as that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goodmorning from Australia, I have really enjoyed reading your blog,there is a dictionary available here for Stryne?not sure of the spellling isn't that bad! butI have seen one and it is the language we use here not so much the young but the elder sect.Such as bag if fruit ...suit...dogs eye..pie...I think originally this probably was a version of Cockney from the First Fleeters anyway just a comment of interest.Our floods are still happening,can you imagine that the waters you would have seen have now travelled right through one state and now they are in Victoria at the other end of the country travelling down thousands of kilometres,we are all pulling together sending convoys of trucks with food,clothing and household goods to help,these floods will not abate until the waters reach the ocean,the towns know the waters are on their way and have some time to prepare,unlike huge amount that just bucketed down from the heavens at the start..we can get over this, it will take years as all the freah produce comes mostly from these areas,that can be replaced but not the lives we have sadly lost,everyone mourns for the wonderful people so tragically taken.It is lovely to know that so far away people feel for us.The pic you have shown is great and i love your musical thoughts on it. Thankyou for such an interesting blog.Carole

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Cherie, I may do a bit more about some of the more unusual ones. Quite a few people seemed interested.

    Hello Carole,
    Thank you for dropping in and leaving such an interesting comment. In amongst those books on view is the Dictionary of Cockney Rhyming Slang.
    The flooding is all very tragic and of course everyone was saddened by the loss of life. I did hesitate before posting that picture as I did not wish to make light of the serious situation.
    You mention "wonderful people tragically taken", sadly today, I have heard of the passing of one of your 'countrymen', or perhaps I should say 'countrywomen' Kath, who only hours ago left a comment above.
    It's a sad old world at times.
    Cheers,.....Bernard.

    ReplyDelete