.
This morning the Sun came out with beautiful clear blue skies.
Not so yesterday when I ventured outside to gaze upon this promised eclipse.
It was completely clouded over!
See even Mother Nature seems to abide by Murphy’s Law!
There is always a downside to most things, and as welcome as the sun was, it did its best to show up all the dust, crumbs, cat hairs and bits of Christmas past.
So I started my spring cleaning early this year.
To start with I took down all the decorations and then thought.
“Oh dam! I wonder if that’s bad luck for the next 360 days, for taking them down early?
I know it is bad luck to leave them up after the Twelfth Night, but surely not everyone can be expected to down the lot on the 6th January, or Epiphany as it’s more correctly labelled.
.
.
I went away to read up on this and found out that today, 5th January is known as Old Christmas Eve. So tomorrow is Old Christmas Day and all us old ’ns can, if we feel up to it, go through the whole celebration again! (not really).
It appears this all goes back to around 1582 actually, and as I was saying in my last post, all these dates are purely relative and have changed, time and time again.
From the time of Julius Caesar, this country used the Julian Calendar. It was based on the sun’s orbit and was much better than the previous system, based on the phases of the moon. But it was not accurate enough and every year was eleven minutes and fifteen seconds out.
So what you ask, who would notice?
Well, that adds up to one day out, every one hundred and twenty eight years.
So once again, as no-one ever reached the magnificent age of 128, it went unnoticed by the serfs and peasants.
.
.
But…..by the sixteenth century, this error had accumulated to ten day too many.
Not many people spotted this in their daily lives, but the Pope did.
Pope Gregory XIII was ‘at the crease’ at the time and at the ‘stroke of a quill‘, lopped eleven minutes, fifteen seconds off the length of a year and deleted the spare ten days!
This was the Gregorian Calendar and was adopted throughout Catholic Europe.
Us stubborn Protestants on this side of the English channel weren’t going to be told by the Pope, what day it was and so stuck rigidly to our Julian calendar.
This meant that Paris was ten days behind London.
We also kept the 25th March as the start of a New Year.
By the time Protestant England came round to adopting this Gregorian calendar we were eleven days out, and so, in 1752, these eleven days were given the chop.
As to be expected, there were riots with people demanding
“Give us our days back!“
Prior to this seismic event England had celebrated Christmas on the equivalent of 6th January.
.
.
And this dear friends, is why today is “Olde Christmas Eve”
and this Olde fellow is just off to hang up his Olde stocking for a second time -
hoping to get those goodies I missed out on, the first time round!
But I may not bother putting up all those
decorations again!
.
ps. I apologise to the people of Ireland, Scotland and Wales for no mention, but I found no details of how these plans were implemented in their
respective homelands.
.

Of course the 25th of March is and always was the start of the New Year...it's my birthday!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year dear Organ Morgan.
Oh I always take the decorations down the day after boxing day, they're really getting on my nerves by then, especially the cards, that flutter down every time someone open and closes a door. Bah Humbug!
ReplyDeleteHi C.J. You'd have been ok in 1752 then, but, not a good year for those (like me) with Birthdays from 3rd Sept to 13th Sept. Those days did not exist! Hence a lot of angry serfs and peasants!
ReplyDeleteHello Kath; The day after Boxing Day?
Gosh! That beats anything anything I have heard of before. I know what you mean about cards, but I've long stopped putting them on the mantle pieces. I now hang them on little 'washing lines' minus pegs of course! :D
Hey Bernard you could always bring those Christmas paper wrapped empty boxes out again too! 'Fraid my Christmas tree in a tub went out through the door on New Year's Day. Great to have some sun today - we've had a steady drizzle of rain all day today.
ReplyDeleteHi Bernard,
ReplyDeleteI take Christmas cards down on Boxing Day, don't put up any decorations so none to take down...
I've still got 2009's Cards in the car boot which were meant to go in the recycling bin at any Tesco store but the bin wasn't out when I asked a year ago so I've carried them round all year, and now another lot set to join them.
I've received a card from Australia today, posted on 16th December...
I keep the nice ones as bookmarks, though.
My Christmas decs got taken down before I went back to work. To much going to do it on the proper day!
ReplyDeleteI didn't know about all those complicated changes in the calendar...
I hope Santa fills your Olde stocking and you don't miss out this time around. :)
ReplyDeleteKate
You are on form with one of your erudite posts. Yes, please! Christmas all over again! I read that it was the January Christmas Eve they meant iin Thomas Hardy's poem 'The Oxen'. I didn't realise Hardy was around before 1752. Anyway.... very interesting. I am of course sad to see the trees and decs go away.
ReplyDeleteHi Molly.
ReplyDeleteNo, my little empty boxes are tucked away in the upstairs cupboard ready for next year. Having the same ‘presents’ every year is me doing my bit for the environment. :)
Raining again here now - just when I thought I’d go for a walk to work off a few calories.
:(
Hello Sylve,
I don’t actually put up loads of decorations, like we used to years ago. I put sprigs of holly and tinsel along the top of pictures. I like the way they sparkle - it seems very dull when you take it down.
"In your car boot for a year!" My word, they have travelled nearly as far as that card from Australia. :D
Hi CherryPie;
A “mine of useless information”, that’s me, Cherie. :D
Glad to have enlightened you once again.
Morning Kate,
Thanks. :D
Years ago, I used to hang up four old socks on the mantle piece for the cats! They had little packets of treats next morning! :)
I’m too old for all that now.
Erudite? That's a nice word Foody. :)
Mmmmm, I had to look that up to make sure it was a complement? But it was :).
It’s not a word I use a lot you see.
So thanks. :)
Did you read about that chap who had a Christmas Dinner every day and kept his tree and decorations up all year? It was in one of the papers before Christmas.
Another interesting post Bernard. Where do you find these ideas for posts? You're setting a very high standard.
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen
Happy Anniversary Helen,
ReplyDeleteand thank you for your compliments.
Ideas for posts are becoming a bit of a problem. I am not rushing to get them out every day like I used to, years ago. I give them a little more thought and a little more time for them to come together. :)