.
I'm going to cheat again.
Yesterday, I thought of going to Great Missenden
to see the Snowdrops.
But,
...... it was the same day as our monthly get-together
at the Amersham Organ Museum, which I couldn't miss.
So,
....here are the Snowdrops - from last year.
(I'm hoping they will still be out next Sunday.)
.
.
Deep sleeps the Winter, cold wet and grey;
Surely all the world is dead; Spring is far away.
.
.
Wait ! The world shall waken; it is not dead, for lo,
The Fair Maids of February stand in the snow!
.
.
Now with tender pencilled cup,
And with triple wings of white,
Snowdrop-maidens flutter up,
Wakened from the winter's night.
.
.
Now the birch with ruddier rind,
Hears the tit call to his fellow;
February's gentle wind,
Turns the happy larches yellow.
.
.
Sunday, 21st of February 2010. Great Missenden. England.
** A February Song - H. D. Rawnsley
Note: All the pictures will enlarge (by a left click on them).
.

Lovely... and I've never seen snowdrops. Perhaps we should be over there now!
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen
Beautiful swathes of snowdrops! I have noticed one solitary one in the border here so far but give it another couple of weeks .......
ReplyDeleteSnow drops are my all time favourite flowerbeside the other 100! honestly though i so enjoyed this then i noticed the blog from last year was 21st Feb and that was our 40th wedding anniversary,so i am going to say a huge thank you Bernard you made my day...
ReplyDeleteBeautiful.
ReplyDeleteI love the church.
Actually, I love graveyards.
my hobby is looking at churches and the graveyards, wherever, we go we have go to the churches and look around the graveyard.You get to know the families because a lot of them are buried in the same plot... it's like a family history.
Geoff isn't so keen (LOL) so sometimes I go by myself, I often think how long has it been since someone visited this grave?
Lovely photos tho.
Bernard, I lived in Prestwood, just above Great Missenden, for 20 years yet never knew about the snowdrops. Must try and go this year.
ReplyDeleteI remember the pics from last year. Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteGood evening Uncle B.,...i remember the pictures you have posted last year too...still like them very much...first off for the lovely Snowdrops and second i like graveyards too...not the "nice and clean"ones but the ones you show us in your pictures...the bit awry crosses..rosted fences and the church...i am glad you have "cheated"...hope you are ok and your lovely cats too...greetings Francien.
ReplyDeleteGreetings and Thanks for a lovely, comforting post. Beautiful flowers and cheerful music on a cold, windy, snowy Ontario day. It seems that February and winter will last forever.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments and thanks for not minding too much to seeing them again.
ReplyDeleteYesterday I went to Thame and on the way back hunted around for other ‘swathes’ of snowdrops. There used to be loads in the churchyard at Ilmer, but I ended up in Sydenham.
There were a few out but nothing like the Missenden crop.
I am preparing a post on Sydenham for later.
Just off to do a post on Thames floods for Jan. Can’t find any ‘flood music’ though!
(or snowdrop music for that matter).
Thank you all.
( note to Annette and Francien - a load more ‘wonky’ gravestones coming up!)
Cheers.....Bernard
There's Britten's 'Noye's Flude' (don't know if I've spelt that right) or Handel's Water Music.
ReplyDeleteHi Foody,
ReplyDeleteHave to admit that I had never heard of it as I am not a fan of Britten. :(
Thanks for the suggestion though. :)
Just tried it on YouTube. (sounds awful - to me)
You were nearly right. :)
It's 'Fludde'.
Cheers.......Bernard. (lover of harmony - and cats - and ponies - and chickens!). :D