.
Back here,
I mentioned how I had three great boxes (IKEA Jean tells me)
of old family photographs to wade through.
Just look what I found.
.

.
Bernards Great Grandma.
Now a few of you said, "please show us more", so here are a few of
some of the more interesting ones.
I promise not to inflict on you, dozens of pictures of me building
sandcastles at Weston-super-Mare,
nor lots of little babies,
or boys in school caps!
The lady above cannot be accurately identified,
but is very probably the same as the one below.
This lady (below) IS my Great Grandmother,
on my Fathers side.
.

.
Thankfully my Aunty had written on the back.
Here she is again with our Aunty Gladys aged eight.
.

.
And with interesting little comments.
.

.
"All her lovely dresses & bonnets she used to
make herself."
Now this one below has to be my all time favourite.
.

.
Just look at that vintage pram.
And who is it, and who is in the pram?
Aunty G. tells us all.
.

.
Dated - July 1905.
Well the brother in the pram is not my father,
as he was not around in 1905.
It would have been David or Norman,
my fathers elder brothers.
I need to dig much deeper now to get all the dates of
Birthdays and tie this all up.
.

.
This is that 'thoughtful' Gladys as a young lady,
who thankfully provided
all this useful information to make what are just photographs,
turn into our family history.
Thanks Aunty G.
.

Oh, do show us all the photographs you wish! They are wonderful and the family history so interesting. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteYou're so lucky to have these old photos - wish I'd got some of that age, and the notes to go with them. As ME says, show all the photos you like, they're fascinating. Now to make a family tree....
ReplyDeleteYou're lucky to have the information to go with the pictures. I've often looked at family photographs and wished that someone had had the foresight to write names and dates on the back.
ReplyDeleteGosh, Bernard those photos are so interesting. I love the one of the pram and where your Auntie G has written on the back of the card. If things are not written down, they're lost forever once the old folks pass on. I think it's a brilliant thing that you're doing, sorting through the old pics and writing the little bits of history to go with them. BTW would also love to see a photo of the vase of flowers with the reflection of a rainbow!
ReplyDeleteHow delightful. Apart from the odd one from the 50's, there don't seemt to have been any cameras in our family prior to the 60's.
ReplyDeleteWhat luck that dates were recorded on the back.
My mother spent a lot of time with the older folks from her family and my dad's, and she was soooo good at writing on the back of them. Now if she'd just been better at taking the pictures, that would have been great. It looks like you're having fun!
ReplyDeleteGood evening Uncle B.,
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely pictures!! The ladies were beautifully dressed...i love the second one of your GG..the jacked she is wearing is stunning and from velvet i guess..they made some great pictures back then...bet she had to sit still for a long time.. and that pram..awesome....i had a modern version of the English pram for my two sons...i can show you one simular if you like to click on the link
http://heerhugowaard.paginamarkt.nl/div-engelse-ouderwetse-kinder/153071.html
Please show us more...i like those old pictures very much...thank you..
groetjes Francien.
Family history is a fascinating subject and once you get started on it, it is difficult to stop.
ReplyDeleteThe last photo is very dreamy, I love it :-)
Good morning everyone.
ReplyDeleteCan I please reply to you all collectively as I’m sure I should be repeating myself eight times.
Eight lovely comments.
You are all too kind.
First a welcome to ME. I think the M is Mary, so welcome to my humble blog Mary.
As Sylve, Doohie and Kath says. We were lucky to have all these and especially to have dates and comments on the back. I must point out that this was not always the case and many go into a box marked “unknown”.
The pram that attracted Molly and Francien, I also found fascinating. A real Victorian style and I bet it must have put my Grandparents back a pretty penny.
However I bet it wasn’t new. It would have been used for baby Gladys years earlier. In those days things were put in store for the ‘next time’. Cots, prams and playpens were passed down from child to child if you were a bit short of ‘the ready’. Well, they were in our family. I have loads of pram photos! (with babies of course).
Thanks Jan and Cherie: Yes I‘m enjoying myself, but as you say very time consuming.
Some of the photos Cherie have been ’cleaned’ up a bit to correct exposure and on that photo you liked - I added the corner shading.
Thanks all, as it’s another grey day here, I may stay in and sort out a few more.
Cheers all….and thanks, Bernard
beautiful pictures, as I have said before I love family histories, so fascinating.
ReplyDeleteThankyou for this.
Great photos with useful info on the back! Like Doohie says, if only someone had the foresight.
ReplyDeleteOur family is a bit like Kath's in that we don't have many photos before about 1940. We also don't know much of our family history back past my Great grand parents. Without names and photos it is lucky that I have a couple of ancestors who were convicts. At least they can be traced !!!
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen
Morning Annette, Eliza, Helen.
ReplyDeleteI pleased to hear that you enjoyed this post.
I can't promise that all the photos are interesting. Aunty was 82 when she wrote all those little notes on the back. She must have known we would all be guessing otherwise.
They were not 'real' convicts were they Helen: I believe people were sent to Australia for just stealing a loaf of bread to feed their family.
They couldn't stand by and see their children starve. I wonder if the whole family was shipped out?
It's wonderful you have these photos. I don't think our fmily has anything older than about the 1950's.
ReplyDelete