Saturday, 12 February 2011

Strange Verse and Wonky Stones.

.
The year rolls round and steals away
The breath that first it gave;
Whate’er we do, where’re we be
We’re travelling to the grave.
.
.
Sorry to start off like this, but...

Recently I had two readers who were fascinated by churchyards
and especially those with 'wonky' headstones!

There are plenty around these parts...
.....but not wanting to be too morbid,
I thought I could liven things up a bit
with some verse.
.
.
Dorchester - Buckinghamshire

Here lies the body of Meredith Morgan,
Who blew the bellows of our old church organ.
No reflection on him for rude speech could be cast,
Yet he gave our organist many a blast.
No puffer was he, but a very good blower,
He could fill double ‘G’, but now lies a note lower.

.
.
Floor of Dorchester Abbey

No more upon the mat will he play with pussy cat.
No more between his teeth he’ll squeeze her tail;
No more he’ll rub her nose against the iron bar,
For little brother Tommy’s kicked the pail!

.
.
Cookham - Berkshire

We knew he was departing by the colour of his breath.
We knew the flower was nipping in the bud,
And the Doctor said the only means of saving him from death,
Was to stop the circulation of his blood.

.
.
Ilmer - Buckinghamshire


Oh he’s gone for ever more has our darling blue-haired boy,
We shall never see our darling any more;
Like a dream he passed away, on the 93rd of May,
For he never died so suddenly before.

.
.

I shall ne’er forget the morning that his spirit passed away;
It was early, about 10 o’clock at night;
The hens were sweetly singing, the ducks were making hay,
And the sun and moon were shining dark and bright.

.
.
Turville's Windmill

And now he’s "gone before", at the age of 94,
There was nothing in this world his life could save;
So I’m going to the brick-field to fulfil his last request,
That’s to plant a bunch of turnips on his grave!

.
.
Lady Astor's pet graves at Cliveden

PS - I just thought I should make it clear;
this is a bit of a joke,
those verses are not on the stones.
.

18 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I shouldn't laugh but those verses really cheered me up! Brilliant! Have you ever been up to Aberystwyth, Bernard? They've got some classic verses on the grave stones there too! The church is right by the castle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes Molly,
    I've been to Aber. many times. All our (family) early holidays were in west Wales. All I remember though were lots of rides on lovely little steam trains. :)
    Haven't been back for many a year I'm afraid.
    Although, my nephew Stuart is there now at Uni.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Evening Uncle. B.,..Now these are wonky stones!!.. i thought at first that the verses were on the gravestones...
    "on the 93th of May?!" wish that month hat that amount of days...
    LOVE the pictures!!..specially the first one from Dorchester...that would be absolute house for me to live in..although the others are lovely to..Turvlle looks stunning ....i have saved the pictures and verses in my documents if you don`t mind....thank you for posting this.....i did laugh about the verses...
    Have a great sunday, take care...groetjes Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bernard,I loved this post lol thanks for the cheering up of a mournful(usually) subject.My darling friend that I travelled to the Uk with to say goodbye to her family is now at rest in Portshead(her ashes anyway) and it is a tiny little graveyard behind a church, her parents are there and when we visited the Uk she visited the graves, fell AOT(Australian for arse over tit) into a pot hole and we were hysterical with laughter as she was telling me where she wanted to be layed at rest in coming months.Her ashes are now there and beautiful daffodils planted and will bloom each year as a reminder of her loveliness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post Bernard. Loved the verses and the photos too.
    cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a bit of a fascination for gravestones due to my family history research. I don't find it morbid at all, but rather fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the photos, Bernard, real bits of England. Many Family History Groups have listed the gravestones in their county before the lettering is completely worn away or, as you show, used for steps, repairs, walling etc.Are the verses from your sheet music? And more snowdrops, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning francien,
    I think the first one did come from a gravestone, but the others are from a song.
    I hoped everyone would have a laugh. :)
    Please help yourself to anything from any of my blogs.
    Memories are to share. :D

    Hi Carole,
    Yes it can be a bit drear, I agree, hence the verses to cheer us all up!
    Is that the Portishead near Bristol? We used to have lots of caravan holidays at Cleveden just down the coast. And yes, we too use the term AOT. :o

    Morning Helen:
    Thanks very much. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

    Hello Cherie,
    I guess it’s one of those things that some enjoy doing and others, not.
    I myself don’t mind either way. I actually find the church interiors and especially the old organs more interesting than the graves.

    Hi Sylve,
    The photos were of course taken at different times over the last couple of years.
    I seem to be building up quite a collection. The first verse there is from a headstone, but the rest are verses from a song or recitation, I think, from Billy Bennett? :)

    Cheers all.......Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning and thank you Sir...and why am i not at all surprised that you are the first and only one to notice that i have 9 leaves instead of the usual 8..☺..but i am always a bit off...like to give my own twist to things i make...trying to get them more"made by me"...oh well.. mayby i am a bit "wonky"too.Have a great Valentine day tomorrow...bought myself heartshaped chocolates from the" pocketmoney" for "goodies" the cats and Meisje have because i know they want me to have them for Valentine`s Day...isn`t that a good excuse??!!
    Take care...groetjes Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello again Francien.
    I noticed my earlier reply above, only had a lower case 'f'. :(
    Sorry.
    It is my early morning wonky fingers! :o
    And no! you are not 'wonky'. I thought it was a good idea to be original and different.
    I'm now looking forwards to 'eleven' leaves on your next bit! :)
    Enjoy your chocies and your day.
    Groetjes......Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find graveyards both peaceful and beautiful, so I liked these photos very much Unc. Here in Glaston, it has been proposed that a pet cemetary is created by the council. I think it will receive a lot of support. If you find the dogs grave in Thame, I'll send you the story about it, it might make an interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Evening Kath,
    Yes, always very quiet and peaceful round here.
    And as you say, offer good photo opportunities.
    Now I looked for that grave the last time I was there. I went all round the Memorial gardens but I could see no mention. I might try the Church end next time I go.
    Cheers......Unc B. xxx (As you are collecting!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Singing Chickens were mentioned!
    I liked this post very much. What a lot of research you do. Very admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good morning Foody,
    I do try to get a chicken or two mentioned for you. :)
    And this time a singing hen!
    Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Of course, hens, to be precise. Strange how they have come to be called chickens in certain quarters. I have really always called just the young ones 'chickens'. Maybe I'll try to go back to my roots. But I won't change my Blog to 'Singing Hen'. Anyway, I digress from gravestones, which I don't find spooky or morbid. Visually the are quite appealing and they're just part of 'life'.

    ReplyDelete
  16. More kisses please Unc, I need to lose half a stone :-x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wasn't planning on being buried, maybe cremated and have my ashes spread around the lilacs. But now I can't get rid of the fun idea of asking Bob to plant turnips on my grave. Also I'm thinking it would be neat to write my own verse for my headstone, something more clever than "Here Lies Skippy." Hopefully I'll have a few years to work on that. I don't find cemeteries depressing at all, the lovely peacefulness of your English ones are like an ongoing gift from the dead.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Foody:
    As I'm a bit confused, I peeked int' my old Dictionary.
    Hen - female bird, cock - male bird.
    Cockerel - young cock bird.
    So perhaps 'chicken' is correct?
    Or - what about poultry? :)

    Hi Kath,
    So how many does that work out at? :O
    My maths is a bit rusty this morning.

    Morning Jan,
    I have a book of epitaphs somewhere, but it must be nice to be able to write an original.
    The large cemeteries in towns/cities are really gloomy places, nothing like these country churchyards.

    ReplyDelete