Tuesday, 22 February 2011

In Search of Snowdrops.

.
As some of you noticed,
I repeated this year my 'Snowdrop post'
from Great Missenden.

So on a sunny Tuesday, a couple of weeks ago,
I went off in search of a different location.
.
.
I stopped off for a picnic at the village of Sydenham.
It is on the way back from Thame market so I didn't go too far out of my way.

Now Sydenham is not in Buckinghamshire,
but just over the border into Oxfordshire.
.
.
It is a very attractive village, having a good selection of timber framed,
brick, flint and wychert (a clay-like material)
cottages under thatch and old tiled roofs.
.
.
This one is dated 1797.
I was wondering how many times it had been re-thatched
in those 214 years?

Further down by the little stream I found a few snowdrops.
.
.
Probably planted by the residents.

The name 'Sydenham' by the way,
means 'at the wide hamm or meadow'.

And here's a few in some-ones garden.
.
.
One of my 'better' photos I thought?

And then on over to the flint and stone St. Mary's Church
with its oak shingled spire.
This is much older than those cottages above,
as it dates back to the 13th century.
.
.
Now when I got home I read up on the village and the Church.

I seem to have done things the wrong way round here,
because I read that the Church door had a very unusual keyhole.
It was cut out from an old sundial.
.
.
I remembered reading about this in one of my books on clocks.
Did I take photo? No!
Do you think I can find that picture in my clock books? No!

I must remind myself to read up on a place
before setting out.
.
.
Anyway, the Church was home to a sweet little organ.
One manual, four stops and two candle holders!
Years ago it would have been hand pumped
by a boy around the back.
He even had his own little seat (picture right),
so he could take a rest between hymns.

.
.
And, as in all true English villages.....
The Pub. Right next to the Church.

And........
right next to the Pub was.....
the
Village Information Centre.
.
.
Housed in the now defunct telephone box!

(Shame I parked the car in the wrong place)
and
shame about the keyhole photo - if I come across it,
I'll post it up.
.

11 comments:

  1. That was a lovely post. All the photos are brilliant. I love villages with flowers and cute cottages, especially timbered and thatched ones. I look forward to more such posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll put this village on my list to visit when we are there. It looks lovely though they all look lovely to me. Can't wait to explore this lovely area Bernard. Should I also put Thame on my list?
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww! Foody. Thanks.
    Mind you, some people may find they all look alike when seen on blogs. You of course notice the differences when you visit a place.
    I'll see what I can do for you. :)

    Hi Helen,
    It's very quiet. No shops. Most of these tiny villages only have a Church and a Pub.
    No shopping, but you can always have an excellent lunch in the pub/restaurant. :)
    Yes, put Thame on your list, but go on a Tuesday as it's Market day. Not a touristy place, just real people doing real things. It's a good base for lunch, with short trips out to local villages. You can get to Oxford easily from Thame. Very difficult to recommend places as we all like different things.
    Cheers.....Bernard
    PS There are loads of bluebell woods not far away in the Chiltern hills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A delightful post and I love the photo of snowdrops in someone's garden :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the advice, Bernard. We're not worried about shops as we aren't into shopping but pubs and old churches are right up our alley. We also like to try to "live the life" - shop for food where the locals do ( so market days are great )and plan on strolling round these delightful villages especially those the tours don't find.
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great day out for a visit. Loved the picture of the thatch and snowdrops. Those old pipe organs were hard work and I bet the little lad's pay wouldn't have been extortionate either. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if they got the idea of using the old pelephone bix as an information centre, from the Archers?
    Delightful post Uncle, quintessentially English :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treat to see a red telephone box!
    The church looks bright and light with an example of recycling from a long time, ago, too. The cottage photos are superb.
    Haven't been that way for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok Bernard the rambler-where did you get that sunny day from?

    Was it the one we were supposed to have down 'ere in 'Ampshire.

    Come on, own up, and I bet you nipped into the pub for a libation:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greetings from Southern California.

    I added myself to follow your blog.
    You are more than welcome to visit mine
    and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You, ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Cherie, I was pleased it turned out well as I’d been down on my poor old
    Knees taking that.

    Always pleased to help Helen.
    I know all around Missenden area, as does Sylve. She doesn’t live too far away.

    Morning Molly:
    The organ is now powered by an electric blower.
    A lot of these small villages didn’t get electricity until the 1930’s. I was really amazed to read this as. Can you image no electrical things at all?

    Hi Kath.
    I don’t know anything about the Archers, but I expect when BT announced they were taking the phone out, the villagers ‘clubbed’ together and bought it.
    I believe our red pillar boxes are the next thing under threat?

    Morning Sylve
    I go off down all the side roads and dead-ends. That’s how I found Ilmer and Aston Clinton (a later post perhaps).


    That was Tuesday 8th Feb. Angus.
    It had to be a Tuesday as it is Market day in Thame. Sat out at the back of the old Renault Kangoo and had sandwiches, bag of crisps and a Thermo of tea.
    I didn’t nip the pub - my body doesn’t like it if I partake in the daytime. I fall asleep!

    Greetings to you also ‘Geezer’. Thanks for dropping in. You are the third to make contact from California.
    I have also have blog pals, Jan (Sacremento) and Myrna (Marina Del Rey).
    I’ll pop over and see what you are up to when I get a minute. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete