Wednesday, 16 February 2011

Looking on the 'Positive' Side.

.
My sister has been custodian of the ‘family-photo archives’
since dear old Dad left us in 1999.
Being eleven years younger than I,
she was at a loss to identify many of the relatives and friends in the old photographs.
So, they have been delivered to ‘your truly’ for an identity check!

Not a dozen or so.
Not a hundred or so in a shoebox.
.
.
But three great big boxes.
One box contains our Grandfathers photos, the second, Fathers
and the third a load of photographs rescued from our father’s sister, our aunty Gladys.
.
.
This is going to take me months and months I can see, but it is a ‘labour of love’ and I am grateful that these were saved for future generations.
I wouldn’t mind betting there are going to be many, many sepia faces of tightly laced great-aunties that I do not recognise either.
My paternal Grandfather was a chemist and a photographer. I still have one of his old cameras. My Father was also a keen amateur and I still have one of his old cameras. So you see there are in addition to these old prints, hundreds and hundreds of negatives.

I did a blog way back in March 2009 about the old cameras.

In order to view and maybe print from these, I have lashed out on a new scanner.
My Canon printer/scanner only does positive copies, but this Hewlett Packard model has carriers for slides and negatives, in both colour and B&W in 35mm, and many other larger formats.
.
.
So this week I have been scanning and viewing
some of my pictures from over fifty years ago.


There was Grandfather in his chemists shop.
.
.

There was my Mother, astride a pony, on holiday in Devon. - 1935
.
.


Shock and horror! Mom and Dad in drag? - 1937
.
.


Bernard’s bare bum! - 1943
.
.


And there I was in 1961 on holiday with my first (serious) girlfriend.
.
.
And no, - it didn’t last.

But at least the negatives, photographs and the memories do.
.

23 comments:

  1. Fascinating! Hilarious! You look quite indignant about your bum being immortalised.
    A great post, and a pony in it as well.
    Snazzy boxes too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Foody. :)
    Sorry I couldn't find a singing chicken, although there was a picture of my dad feeding some chickens on a farm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolute treasure trove you have there. I wish my family had photos of the oldies but there are only a very few of my parents and their parents as adults.
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your so lucky to have all those photos, there are none of my fathers family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That should keep you outof trouble for a while Bernard the mooner:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen, Eliza and Angus;
    I'm having a great time thanks. There are of course loads of standard 'say cheese' shots, but my dad loved taking silly pictures every now and then. :)
    The reason for the look on my face Angus,
    was that the dog had been sniffing round my 'naughty bits' with a cold nose!
    Ha, ha! Who said old photos were boring? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to have all those photos. I loved the one of you with your girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There were about 24 snaps (two rolls in those days) Kath, of us on holiday. Bournmouth, if I remember correct. And her name was?
    I've forgotton.
    No.
    It was Sylvia.
    How could I ever forget?
    Wonder if she's still out there somewhere?
    Sylvia Whyton.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HU Bernard, these are wonderful,I loved the drag one lol hillarious,they must have been a great couple as you can see it in their faces.What a job but what a joyful one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am the keeper of our family's photos. It's a big responsibility. I've been trying to get them all scanned and catalogued for 3 years. I keep wondering if putting them on DVDs for all the nieces and nephews is really going to work, though. Technology changes so drastically and so fast, maybe DVDs won't even be relevant soon.

    Don't you love the high quality of some of the really old box camera photos? They were the best. The worst were Polaroids, so grainy even when they were new and now they've deteriorated.

    I love the boxes, too. Even I wouldn't have a hard time finding them in an emergency to evacuate them from the house. I keep mine in plastic bins in a closet near the front door, but I have used the same kind of bins for Christmas decorations. It would be just like me to grab them instead of the photos in an emergency.

    I'm going to be interested to see how you organize your job, and please keep showing us examples as you go along.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous photographs :-) I sometimes get the old photographs out when the grown up children want something for their childrens school projects and thats when the memories come flooding back, the girls when they were babies, me as a baby! my late parents ahhhhh memories. You should start a proper scrapbook for your photographs, I have only so far done holiday ones.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bernard I think those photographs are wonderful. Especially with you being able to identify many of the folks on them and write it down. With these old black and white photos, so often they end up in a cardboard box at a car boot which is terribly sad. So much history in the palms of your hands. Please God let the younger ones cherish them too and pass them on to their future families

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bernard, I am so impressed. It is such a huge commitment, although it is loaded wiith lots of laughs and precious memories. I have wanted to do it for a long time, with not just photos, but with nostalgic pieces and antiques. I'd better get to it or my kids could throw out great grandma's candy dish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful project to start on. Aren't any of them dated? Your new scanner sounds as if it will be used every day for weeks to come and make things easier, too.
    I love the photo of Grandad in his shop - please, do put lots of info when you decide how to archive them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Had to pop in to have a look, since we've both been on the same track. I reckon the weather is making us nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Carole,
    There were three or four of those ‘dressing up’ pictures. Dad even got to showing his ‘knickers’ in one of them! :O

    Morning Jan,
    I think they will be pretty safe on DVDs. Certainly for a few years. In 10 years time I expect there will be ways to transfer them to ‘new technology’ whatever they invent next.
    Yes, prints taken from the larger format films are excellent. However, the negatives I have are not in the best condition. :(
    Ha! Those are Jean’s boxes and will have to go back when I have finished.
    I’m filing things firstly by location. ie family homes.

    Hello Ann,
    Nice to have you drop in and thanks for leaving me a nice comment. :)
    These old photos are mainly loose in old envelopes and the like.
    My own photographs, from the last 30 years or so are in albums, but there is a problem. The ’sticky’ is not strong enough and they drop out when I pick the albums up! :(

    Hi Molly:
    Yes I am writing on the back, the names and places. (and date if known).
    If I put them on DVDs - copies can go off down different family lines.
    This is a bit better than one family member keeping all the ’hard copy’ prints I think.
    (although someone still will).

    Morning Myrna:
    That is true about nostalgic pieces. The trouble is, after a few generations the item are not remembered by the new owners and can sometimes become less precious.
    Not everything of course.

    Hello Silve,
    Yes, many are dated. My mother was very good a doing this. She wrote things like “Bernard at 10 months” on the back so I have been able to work out the date.
    I may not scan all the holiday snaps. They all tend to look alike.

    Hi Valerie:
    I’m afraid I don’t write as well, or as much as you. Yours was an excellent write-up I thought and interesting. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a lot of photos to browse through but I am sure you are going to have lots of fun with them.

    Your new scanner looks very impressive :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cherie, I'm seeing pictures that I have never come across before. My parents, after having a set of prints done, would sometimes send one or two off to relatives. I am now able to replace those 'missing' prints from the old negatives.
    Using the software, I can also correct exposure and improve sharpness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good evening Uncle B.,
    i can amagine you sitting in your favorite chair and looking at the pictures one by one...smiling.....because the pictures you are showing us here are great!!....remembering.. whit a nice cuppa? and the cats...isn`t that fun to do saving those lovely pictures... i wish i had taken more pictures from whereever i was ...and when my parents moved they did trow all of their old pictures out...even those from when we were young??!!..My brother and I were in very far and different places in the world so we did not know and we never bin asked if we wanted them...its a shame because i know there were many taken of us...
    So "you are off the streets"too for some time as they say here in Holland..but i guess you will enjoy doing the "saving"....
    Have a nice weekend....groetjes Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Goedemorgen Francien,
    Bedankt voor je lieve berichtjes.
    This is not quite my favourite chair. My computer chair is a wee bit hard. :(
    But yes, I have a cuppa and a sleeping cat here also.
    I have quite a few photos of people who I do not know. Probably just my parents friends. I shall not throw anything out. Well not without talking to my family first.
    I only stay "off the streets" when the weather is bad. It is a shame to stay in when the sun shines.
    Groetjes Bernard.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Goede avond Uncle B.,
    You are so right...out..out ...out when the sun shines!!..i ike to explain if you don`t mind wre the phrase comes from when they say here"van de straat zijn"..being off the streets..
    when i was a child everybody was sitting in front of their houses when they had the time and was knitting..drinking coffee..or had a chat when the sun was shining...we children were playing on the streets until it was light out or bedtime for us...and if a neighbour or friend wasn`t joining the group or sat outside their homes there was something going on...or the one was ill...had a lot to do...or simply was not there..so..he/she was "off the streets"
    For what its worth.☺..have a nice week....take care...groetjes Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry sir...untill it was dark out ofcourse!!
    groetjes Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Francien, We too, used to play in the road as children. There was hardly any traffic in those days, (1950). And up in the north of England where people may not have had front gardens, they put chairs out and had a good chat to their neighbours.
    We used to say - "Having a jaw" or "having a good 'chin wag'!" :)
    Or playing a concertina as here:-

    http://monkey-organ.blogspot.com/2009/07/it-was-midnight-on-ocean.html

    We have to be a wee bit careful with the term "being on the streets". As that is what 'naughty ladies' get up to! :O
    groetjes....Bernard :)

    ReplyDelete