.
I'm afraid this is, yet again,
not the post I was planning to do next!
I'll get there eventually, but with the weather
being kind to us it is always a shame to stay in.
I've recently spent several days in the workshop,
making a new set of organ pipes and I felt I needed some fresh air.
So it was off to Thame market (again)!
Actually I never tire of markets and always find something new.
Yesterday it was 'duck eggs'!
Now, I have never tried these before, so it will be a first for me.
And, they were only £1.56 for half a dozen.
.

.
On the way home I called in at Emmington.
It is only about a mile from Sydenham, on the opposite side of the main road.
You will see from the map above,
that the church is tucked away behind the Rectory.
and you can only reach it on foot.
.
.
There is a footpath alongside the Rectory gardens,
and then a shared drive up to the church gates.
.
.
Everything was so very tidy,
and obviously well cared for.
.
.
A real hidden gem, off the beaten track.
.
.
This was the view from the church door,
looking back towards the Rectory.
The Rector obviously believed that the shortest
distance between two points, is a straight line!
Now, back across the main road,
I called in again at Sydenham to see this keyhole that I had read about.
.
.
The folk of Sydenham couldn't afford a gravel drive,
so the path to the Church door was simply turf.
Alright in the summer, but a bit muddy
during our wet Winter months.
.
.
And there it was.
The sundial keyhole plate.
The little church at Sydenham, near Thame, has found a most unusual use for a sundial.
Of brass, small and rectangular, it is fixed to the main door as a keyhole plate.
It has incised Roman numerals which run from the bottom, to the left Ito VIII and to the right IX to IIII.
Although it is a nice idea, the shaft of the key would not, in this position, work as a gnomon.
It was simply a repair/replacement for the previous keyhole plate, or escutcheon as it is correctly termed.
Rectangular?
Looks octagonal to me.
.
.
Indeed, some books do state that the Church Warden could tell the time,
from the shadow cast by the key.
A nice tale but, not true.
Oh well, off to have a duck egg and 'soldiers'.
.

That was really interesting and the photos are lovely.
ReplyDeleteI hope you enjoyed the eggs. I have had them, but ages ago. I once bought a goose egg. It was massive.
It's a lovely little sundial. What a gem.
What a beautiful church. Thanks for posting the photos. I spent a couple of weeks in Scotland and saw some architecture like this. I'm so drawn to the history of England, Scotland etc. I've read so many books and know the Kings and Queens. It's fascinating. So looking at these photos takes me to the history yet again.
ReplyDeleteThe keyhole plate was well worth going back to see. I especially like the photo with the view from the church door. I suppose it's pleasing because it's symmetrical and the pretty little arch at the bottom of the path.
ReplyDeleteWhat lovely photos. You took me back with your mention of duck eggs. My Dad loved them, he used to say if you wanted a boiled egg, you couldnt beat a duck egg with its big golden yolk. I used to look for them wherever I went and it took me several years to get out of the habit, after his death.
ReplyDeleteMy friend up in Cookham Dean used to keep ducks as pets, but couldnt face the thought of eating the eggs, which she gave to me. My little'un was practically raised on them :-D
That is an interesting hidden gem of a church. I love the keyhole which octagonal.
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to your thoughts on the duck egg after you have eaten it :-)
Fantastic Bernard! England is full of these hidden gems. It's why we love our sort of holiday instead of touring around. We get to experience all sorts of little nooks and crannies hidden in the villages and towns.
ReplyDeleteKeep them coming.
Cheers
Helen
PS. I've used duckeggs in omlettes mixed with hen eggs but was not brave enough to try just bacon and eggs. Do they taste any different?
Lovely old building and the keyhole is very different,Bob loves duck eggs too although I have to say you may have to do another fart blog after you eat them lol..
ReplyDeleteMorning Foody,
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed my duck egg thanks. I can’t say I noticed a great deal of difference.
I too tried a goose egg. Yes huge! I believe it is equal to three hens eggs!
Hello ILMD&MM, (sorry, I don’t know your name).
England is a mass of small parishes, each with its own little church. Some go back, like Ilmer, to the 12 Century. I should read up more about them before I visit, but never seem to find the time or - more likely - I don’t know where I’m going to end up on that day.
Sylvie, you’re right. I missed the first time as the big main door was left open and we walked in straight passed it. It was a beautiful Rectory garden at Emmington, I shall be going back in the summer when everything is in full bloom. It’s private of course, but you can see over the hedge.
Hi Kath,
I enjoyed my duck eggs, but, not all that sure if they were worth the extra money.
Now if you kept ducks and had loads of eggs - yes, they were great.
All around Aylesbury there are farms that sell all types of eggs, but I’ve never stopped to buy any.
Morning Cherie, There were two different churches in this post. Two for the price of one! I forgot to photograph the keyhole on my previous visit so called back as the two were only a mile apart.
ReplyDeleteGlad to help out Helen. I’m arranging some nice weather for you! (wish I could -fingers crossed). I couldn’t detect any real difference between hens and ducks eggs.
But, my poor old taste buds aren’t what they used to be.
I don’t know if you like eating duck, but Aylesbury is famous for its ducklings.
Morning Carole,
All our old churches have huge locks on the doors and sadly, many are indeed now locked. That was a large keyhole and the key must have been fairly heavy.
Thanks for your tip off about the eggs - I shall have to be careful about the company I keep. He, he, he!
I liked that 'poultry' offeriing very much, that you put on my blog. Very good. Maybe I'll try it one day.
ReplyDeleteHow beautiful and serene the church and grounds are.
ReplyDeleteI'm just catching up with my blog reading tonight Bernard. I like markets too. Those duck eggs were a bargain! That little church does look well kept. The key hole with all the Roman numerals is fascinating be it working or be it not!
ReplyDeleteHi everyone, another lovely warm sunny day here.
ReplyDeleteWhen it's nice outside I also get behind, not only with my blogging but also not getting round to visit all my friends 'places'.
I have often wondered how these people manage when they get dozens of comments and have hundreds of followers?
As always - thanks for popping in.
Cheers.....Bernard
Your walk looks just lovely and so green!! Things are still dull here from winter and it's still cold out!
ReplyDeleteI thinking about you having your eggs and sausages...sounds yummy!!