Thursday, 21 April 2011

Packing my Trunk.

.
including:-
"My most recent find was in the garage, this lovely old wooden trunk....."

This reminded me that I also had a similar item in my garage.

Hard to find sheet music about wooden trunks!
Will this do instead?
.
.
I know, it's a bit way off, but I remember these songs
from years ago, with Nellie packing her trunk.

Actually, my 'trunk' is really a chest, a large tool chest.
It belonged to my Great Grandfather from Lincolnshire,
was passed down to Grand-dad, then my Father
and now ended up in my workshop.

It took a bit of 'digging to uncover it.
.
.
It's the large one at the bottom.
The one on top of it, is the one I made at school in carpentry lessons,
way back around 1957.

Needless to say, there was much dust and several spiders
lurking behind these two.

Which immediately brings another song to mind
from those early recordings.
.
.
I did a blog some while back on all these
Every Saturday morning with Uncle Mac.

Angus is always talking of "Things with Eight hairy legs".

Perhaps he'll like this?
.
.
I think I prefer something more feminine!

But, I digress. Back to tool-chests,

So here's what's inside.
.
.
Two very old saws in the lid,
and in the bottom with the spiders.....
.
.
Lots of lovely old tools.
.
.
Now, to be honest, some of these are mine,
and some are my father's,
but that is as far as it goes.

If there are any from grand-dad or great grand-dad,
I wouldn't know.
.
.
What I do know, is that I shall not be throwing
anything away.
Perhaps if none of our family wants them,
they could end up in a museum?
.

13 comments:

  1. Ooh very interesting Uncle B. i was hoping you'd show inside. There arent any clips in mine, but there were also a lot of old tools. I gave my neighbour A, the first pick, as he appreciates these old hand tools. My Dad would have been in heaven. There is another cupboard full which I must sort out.
    I plan on restoring my old trunk, as it would make a nice container for the dog blankets, although first it has to be treated for wood worm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There aren't any old tools here Bernard.... not too mant new ones either. The new ones aren't built to last like those old ones though are they?
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a little handsaw at a tiny jumble in some Old Peoples Homes in Chesham, probably in the late 60s, for 6d, ie, real money! It's smaller than those you've shown in the chest but I still use it from time to time. What's the tool in the second photo which is propped against the corner join of the chest and looks a bit like a strainer??? Don't think I've seen one of those. Others are familiar from watching my Dad do carpentry - he made everything, not much money available pre-war for fancy furniture!I still have his tenon saw and use that, too.
    More social history!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you have always been very talented. I was a bit scared to look at some of the pictures in case they were really of spiders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,Bernard,
    Oh my husband would love those old tools. He has an ancient work bench that he treasures. Actually, his tools are pretty old, he even has some that belonged to my father. He doesn't create things with them, but he is a great "fixer!"
    I've been busy with lots of things and haven't kept up with the blog, but I'll get back to it soon. You have a great sense of humor, I love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you Bernard the Chippie I to have an "old trunk" complete with Father's, Grandfather's and my old tools very similar to your own, it also contains a colony of eight legged hairy buggers who get quite upset when shown the light of day.

    Like the pic you selected but their personal life is no concern of mine:)

    Using a chair and a whip I do occasionally extract said tools to give them a coat of three in one and fell the quality as they say.

    I don't use them any more, sadly I have gone "cordless" when any building or repairing is needed, but they remain there in readiness when needed.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kath,
    Years ago all tradesmen and indeed many others would have kept their tools locked up in boxes and chests. This was because they had to buy their own tools for work.
    I still prefer working with hand tools even to this day :D

    Morning Helen,
    Very true. Years ago, tools would have lasted a lifetime, now days things are designed to have a certain length of life and then ‘pack up’, forcing you to go out and buy a new one.

    Hello Sylve,
    I’m still busy you see. :D
    Now the tool you are referring to had me puzzled also. I picked it up at a flea market and I am still researching into its use. I believe it is a device, for shaving those depressions in the seats of wooden chairs. (where my bum fits! ).
    I may go over again to the “Chair Museum” in Wycombe and ask them.
    I may do a blog later with larger pictures of some unusual old tools.
    But, as I say, busy, busy, busy!

    Hi Foody,
    I can’t say I’m over keen on spiders myself, but they are always more frightened of me than I am of them. I bet there are a few hundred ’homeless’ spiders wandering around Foodyland now that you have knocked down your old hay-shed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Myrna,
    Most men over here prefer electric tools, not only electric drills but screwdrivers as well. I have a powered sander and a lathe, but when working in wood I prefer the old hand tools. You have so much more control I think.
    Thanks for your appreciation. :)
    I do try. :)

    Morning Angus,
    Glad you liked my little joke. It was a bit like the Reggie Perrin vision of his Mother-in-Law (a hippo). Everytime you mentioned ‘eight hairy legs’, I had this picture in my mind of four blokes on a bike!
    Actually, I’ve been warned off ’three in one’. I read somewhere to be careful where you use it. Probably OK on the metal. I use Danish Oil on wooden items.
    No, I don’t use those old tools in that chest - except for one item. That big ‘breast drill’ is very useful away from the workshop when you need to drill a half inch hole somewhere. (ie a garden post)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember those old songs too...so I guess that makes me ...OLD!!
    That is a trasure trove of neat tools. I love tool being a surgery nurse. I used to love to watch my dad in his workshop. he would never let me touch a thing so I guess working with them seems more attractive than it probably is. Have fun with yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic tool chest. I love old tools, they were made to last. I have some of my grandfathers and they are still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have some old tools which belong to my grandad, I love the way they feel in my hand although I haven't the faintest idea of what to do with them if I am honest. At some point in time I would like to find them a home with someone who would take care of them or as you say a working museum.. sadly the trunk they were in didn't make it to the packing stage but it was very old and very tatty..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bernard has somehow got a message to me saying that his computer has had a hissy fit and he hasn't been able to access his blog or emails or anything. He is still speaking to us. He just can't be heard for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Firstly, sorry for any delay.
    Hello Donna, I certainly hope your surgery doesn't include tools as large and dirty as these. :)
    Our father didn't like us touching his tools either and his shed was always kept locked.

    Hi Cherie, I always use my fathers old fretsaw rather than my 'newish' one. It handles much better. All those scrolls on the Organ front were cut out with his saw.

    Hello Sage, I think any of these 'Heritage centres' would be quite pleased to put them on show. In Wycombe, there is a chair museum which has loads and loads of (relevant) tools that have been donated.

    Thanks Foody. :)

    ReplyDelete