.
Where have I been?
What have I been up to?
Busy bee, that's me.
Actually, before all this activity,
I hurt my back heaving the organ back up the steps into the house on my return from Cookham.
So that meant I had to sit quiet for a bit.
Ideal, I thought, for photographing my hedgehogs,
who have been visiting every evening,
for Hazel's and Wesley's left-overs.
Mainly Hazel's, mind you,
as Wes hardly ever leaves a scrap!
.
.
This was the set-up by the back door.
That was not the camera I was using.
(I'm holding that of course.)
I did think of poking it through the cat-flap!
But you could bet that once I had it set up,
they would insist on going in and out!
Here's one nice picture.
.
.
I had to be careful they didn't hear me or even
catch a wiff of me!
When they came out of the undergrowth
you could see their little noses
sniffing the air for 'danger'.
Well after several nights of this and they got used to me,
I started trying to get some video shots.
The result is up on YouTube now and I have
put a link in at the end of this post.
Sitting there, I also noticed the young going
in the greenhouse and trying to build up a 'nest' for their
winter hibernation.
Into the workshop, (sorry - 'hobby-room') I went - to 'knock-up' a hedgehog house for them.
I have seen these in garden centres selling for around £40!
I made mine out of off-cuts for nowt.
.
.
All set up about a week ago.
And a couple of days later -
.
.
All stuffed with bits of 'hedgehog bedding'.
I have left them well alone - and,
of course, I have to remember,
to leave the greenhouse door open all the time now.
Here's the video.
It's only about three minutes long and
has a wee bit of music to go with it.
Enjoy.
.
.
I enjoyed making that.
I need another nice rest now.
.

That's a great video. I loved it. How lucky you are to have hedgehogs setting up home in your greenhouse. Now you need a sign on the door 'SLUGS BEWARE'.
ReplyDeleteWe used to feed the hedge hogs when we lived in Waddesdon. One night we peeped out and the hogs were tucking into their cat food, joined by several huge slugs, sharing the bowl alongside :-D
ReplyDeleteWhat cuties! Do you think all 4 of them will hibernate in the nest together? Hazel's food doesn't look like standard cat food, it looks like something special you concocted. What do you feed the dear old girl that's kept her going so long?
ReplyDeleteI love hedgehogs, and I'm glad you do too - even to the extent of putting them up for the winter.
ReplyDeleteIf it's any consolation to you, I have a hard job heaving my old organ up the steps too.
Dear Uncle B,
ReplyDeleteThis video is a prize-winner! It's great to see the little fellows/girls multiplying at the food bowl. You are a sweetie to fix them a cosy bed for their Bed and Breakfast. I'm wondering if there will be babies. Ha, ha!
So sorry about your back. Be sure to not overdo. I fell and have injured 2 discs in my neck-am hoping I don't need surgery.
Have a pleasant weekend.
Oh poor old you. Hope that back gets better soon, Bernard. I love the video and that picture of the hedgehog too. The boxes are cool.
ReplyDeleteI do hope your back keeps improving.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for the wonderful film. You did a great job.
Sorry about your back, great video though,I just enjoyed that so much,thanks.
ReplyDeleteSo cute :-)
ReplyDeleteI hope your back has sorted itself out.
Take care :-)
Absolutely DELIGHTFUL Bernard!!! They are soooo cute. You have a hedgehog sanctuary in your own backyard, you lucky man.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about your back - nothing worse than a bad back. Puts your teeth on edge. Look after it, backs are very important.
Cheers
Helen
Lovely little film! It's nice to know they visit on a regular basis. Now to put a microphone somewhere nearby to catch all the snuffles, snorts and hedgehog grumbles! They've got some nice winter accommodation, too. All those offcuts come in useful eventually.
ReplyDeleteGoodness gracious, that was a popular blog. :)
ReplyDeleteI don’t ever remember getting eleven comments overnight like that. :D
Thank you all very much. Please excuse me, if I reply collectively.
I was wondering when I ought to stop feeding them, so that they can ’turn in’ for their long winter kip. I found several very good web sites and on one I read that if there is enough food around, they don’t bed down until after Christmas. I also read that their ’nests’ are called “hibernacula” and then found a page that showed the construction of various man-made homes for them.
You can read up on it here:-
http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/FAQS/hedgehog_homes.htm
What amused me was that the homes had been categorized by ’Council Tax’ bands!
I guess the one I built was only Tax band B.
I don’t know how many are in the little house. I have only ever seen two go into the greenhouse. The food that you see there is a days leftovers - a bit of a mix really.
It is better than scraping it into the pedal-bin (Jan - trash can).
Thanks for your consideration of my poor old back.
It wasn’t really bad - just one of those niggles.
The films as recorded did have grunts and snuffles. It also have me sniffing and Hazel meowing and a late night arrival of a 747 coming into Heathrow - so I decided on some background music. I was trying to find “In the Twi, Twi, Twilight” but the only recording I had was on a tape cassette.
Thanks again to everyone.
Cheers.....Bernard
That was wonderful to watch Bernard I think you should have called it "The Dinner Party" lol
ReplyDeleteWe sometimes have a hedgehog visit the garden at the side of our house, but we haven't seen it for ages. What time of night was that filmed? it looked very light. Sorry to hear you have hurt your back, I remember doing that a few years back (no pun intended there)and all I did was bend down to pick up the post and that morning we were flying to Girona for a few days, a sore back the whole time away going into spasms as i walked about. Hope your back is soon better.
Sorry to hear about your back.
ReplyDeleteOh, those hedgehogs are so cUUUUte!!!! Makes you just want to pick them up and cuddle them, until you think of the prickles. They're hungry little beggars, aren't they?!
Morning Ann and Foody.
ReplyDeleteMy back is OK now thanks. It is not usually serious - just a muscle.
Like a crick in the neck when reversing the car. :(
I notice Ann is building a 'Hedgehog Cottage'. I'm just off to take a peek.
They are hungry Foody, but what I give them would only have gone to waste. They need to build up their body weight in order to see them through hibernation.
What a wonderful video. I've had hedgehogs in my garden in previous years but I haven't seen any this year :-( I do love hedgies. Glad your back is better.
ReplyDeleteI've never seen a hedgehog. Your delightful video was so much fun to watch...they just multiply!
ReplyDeleteEliza, Myrna.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks. They are still coming round every evening and getting nice and fat, in order to see them through the winter hibernation.