.
When is a ‘bedroom’, not a bedroom?
.
.
In my case, when it’s a ’Music-room’.
.
.
When I bought this bungalow, twenty years ago, it was described as a bulk standard, three bedroom bung. with lounge and dining room.
(And before you ask? Yes, I have a kitchen and bathroom too.)
.
.
Well, four cats and their servant don’t need three bedrooms,
even though the cats preferred sleeping well apart.
I kept one as a ’spare’ bedroom, as you would,
but not many ‘spare’ people turned up to try out my hospitality,
or share with Wesley!
Although quite a few turned up to try out the music room!
.
.
I also didn’t really like eating alone in a separate dining room, so the ‘dinner table’ was planted down one end of the lounge.
The dining room was fitted out with shelves to house my lifetime collection of books.
(I throw very little away you see!)
.
.
As I never eat in there, I called it my ‘Library‘.
Even this is not now large enough
and cookery books have ended up in the kitchen,
music books have ended up in the music room
and gardening books have ended up…….
..
..
...at the local Hospice shop!
.
.
Over the years, I have also collected a huge quantity of sheet music and a fair scattering of strange musical instruments,
from an Appalachian Dulcimer
to Scottish bagpipe practice chanters!
.
.
Appalachian Dulcimer
and below a
selection of 'Bells and Whistles'!
.
.
Two bagpipe chanters (left).
There is also my harp, banjos, mandolins,
guitar and five concertinas.
I used to have a harmonium as well,
but some years ago swapped it for a piano.
.
.
Harmonium on it's way out,
to make room for the piano.
Of course when I built the little street organ,
I had to find room for that and the ‘sixty odd’ paper music rolls.
So, one of the ‘bedrooms’ became the ’Music’ room.
The so-called ‘spare bedroom’ now houses the PC and all it’s hangers-on.
(Printer, Scanner, Cassette converter, Disc (LP) converter and the latest addition - a VHS tape converter.)
.
.
All my LP's are now re-worked
as CD's.
.
.
One last spin and then down the Hospice shop!
So, when the 2011 census turned up,
I said I lived alone in a One bedroom bung.
(They didn’t ask about the cats.)
And of course it doesn’t end there either.
The conservatory, houses the washing machine and freezers so it’s really a ‘Utility’ room!
And, the garage does not contain a car -
but is really my ‘Hobby room’!
.
.
Yes, carpet!
It’s actually a workshop,
but I don’t want the council to think I run a business from here!
.
.
A while back I was asked,
“What’s your next project, now that you’ve finished the Organ?”
Well, I have a huge backlog of things to do.
There is the model traction engine waiting for me for a start.
.
.
1/4 size Burrell Steam Traction Engine.
And then there is the Symphonion musical box that needs a bit of TLC.
.
.
Hmm. I think it might be the disc Symphonion next.
So to finish, here’s the Symphonion accompanying
you on a wee tour of my music room.
.
.
Any volunteers to do the dusting?
Apologies for the sound quality.
That was the real music box
playing live,
and she, like me,
is very old!





Thank you for the tour Bernard, I am fascinated by your collection.... I downsized to move to Cornwall, but I wish I too could have a library room. Sadly Tre Agan does not lend itself to that, but I am working on the spare bedroom (the third, not the guest room) to become a something room - yet to be decided lol xx
ReplyDeleteWell, only a half tour Sage.
DeleteI kept the doors on the untidy rooms locked.
I shall be downsizing too pretty soon. I'm sorting out loads of stuff I no longer need.
This is the perfect example of what the estate agents refer to as "versatile accommodation" :-D
ReplyDeleteI think that's the great thing about bungalows, (hippy or otherwise), this "rule" about the bedrooms upstairs and living areas down. On one level anything goes!
"Versatile accommodation"?
DeleteI like it. I wonder if it makes it more expensive? or as the agents say - 'Much sought after'. :D
Gosh - and there was me thinking it was only O/H that couldn't bear to throw anything away. I can see now - it's a man thing.
ReplyDeleteI have kept stuff for years and years - just in case - I ever needed it! Things like - 7BA nuts, 1/2" Whitworth screws and left handed spanners! Loads of stuff is now getting dumped. If I haven't needed it in 30 years, I'm not likely to want it next week. :)
DeleteJust what a home should look like in my opinion.
ReplyDeleteYour piano is very similar to mine, compact and not a bad sound either.
Lovely post
Thankyou
Briony
I bought the piano for myself as a 'retirement present'. I learnt to play on that old harmonium, but have found the piano much more difficult. Different 'touch' needed.
DeleteGlad you enjoyed it. :)
What a great house you have. I used to own a bagpipe chanter - that was just before I was thrown out of one shared house...
ReplyDeleteHi Tom. Neither of those two play actually!
DeleteI got them cheap from the charity shop, as neither of them had any reeds. I'm sure they are available ont' internet. Haven't got round to fixing them yet. Cheers.
I was just going to invite myself to stay when I read the post title, but clearly I won't fit. I could sleep - sitting up - in your 'library', did I spy a bottle of something in there?
ReplyDeleteBut I'm NOT dusting!
Julie x
Twenty years ago, I had beds in all three bedrooms. You would have had a choice in those days. :)
DeleteBeing near (25 miles) Heathrow, my family would leave their cars here and get a taxi (or lift) to catch their holiday flights.
That was quite an old picture of the library. I used that because it's a wee bit untidy now and Wes was sprawled all over the floor too. That photo was taken after one Christmas - I think it was a bottle of Port actually. :)
I feel as if I have spent a lovely afternoon at your charming bungalow. The entire place is one after my own heart because it has a lived in look, not one that is done up for show. We turned our entire second floor into a suite for our 3 legged cat, Sunny, when he was recovering from surgery and never changed it. That is where the spare bed is that once was meant for visitors. When people hint to visit, we say, "You will have to share the bedroom with Sunny" and that ends that situation. Your library is just perfect and I would love to dust it if I could take my time looking at all the books! Can't wait to hear the symphonion when you are done as it is so melodious. Have a happy week and hugs to dear Wesley.
ReplyDeleteThanks Marilyn. As Julie has turned down the chance, I'll get out the duster for you. :)
DeleteActually I don't use a duster. It makes my asthma start up. I use a 'snozzel' thing on the end of the hoover pipe.
I have 32 different discs for the Symphonion, though many tunes I don't recognise.
I played one on that clip that I did know.
Wes thanks you for the {hug}.
Oh, Bernard, your house looks so lovely and fun. What a comforting atmosphere it has. I am sure your music room is the liveliest of all rooms. I believe I would stay in the library reading and 'force' you to play any music you would as I read! Your collection of instruments is impressive. I am a string person myself, though I do not play, I love to listen and admire anyone with the gift.
ReplyDeleteLiving in the foot hills of the Blue Ridge Mountains I see and here much of the Blue Grass music, which is, as you know, the child of the Scot-Irish music brought over by the immigrants. The Dulcimer and the fiddle are much used and at one time introduced to children in grade school, but I am afraid all music is left behind now. It is a blessing there are people like you keeping the beautiful alive. Many would know no beauty if it were not for you being so willing to share.
Hi Mary, I was just thinking that if I had a disc with the song - "I'm shy Mary Ellen, I'm shy", I could have played that for you.
DeleteThe music room faces south and gets the sun all day. The lounge is at the back and faces north and so I get no sun there. This is why you will always find me in a)the garden, b)the music room or c) the workshop.
Yes, Blue Grass music. Love it.
I have a book of fiddle tunes somewhere in that huge pile of music.
What a lovely comfy HOME you have there Bernard. Everything just as you want it.
ReplyDeleteI noticed there were not a lot of bungalows in the UK. People prefer living on two levels. Probably a space thing? We have always had a house on one level. We call them low set houses here and they are the norm but I don't know if they are quite bungalows - bungalows are a certain shape I think and here have a sort of beachy connotation??? I don't like the thought of going up and down all those stairs all the time in a high set house though it would keep visitors eyes away from untidy bedrooms !
You certainly have plenty to keep you busy and entertained there. Have you found yourself a caravan yet?
Cheers
It's a question of space, yes.
DeleteLand prices have stopped the building of bungalows here. (£)
This one was built in 1928 when they were popular (solid walls).
We call our 'beachy' properties, chalets.
I do have a flight of stairs to the 'room in the roof'. It is not used much, as I find it gets very hot up there in the summer.
No caravan yet, but I am getting the tow ball fitted next month.
Cheers.
Very rarely am I jealous of anyone, but you've just re-kindled something. That workshop is to die for; mine is ill-equipped and doubles as a junk room. Despair!
ReplyDeleteHello Cro, thanks for dropping in.
DeleteI always believe that if you enjoy a hobby, it is worthwhile making yourself warm and comfy. I had the central heating from the house extended to the workshop. Lovely.
It also helps prevent rust on the tools.
Cheers....Bernard.
I wish I had a bungalow but more expensive than a house and takes up more land. I wouldn't like to show you my collections of Must Keep things, not after seeing how yours are arranged. Books and more books, crates of wool, a large tray holding handsewing things, a quilting frame & narrow chair, the dining table holds the computer in the winter, too cold to sit in the kitchen. Only the kitchen left downstairs. My 'workroom' has material, sewing machine, ironing board, knitting patterns, more wool, cardboard 30 years old which will come in useful one day, art things etc., apart from 30+ ringback files of local history. No musical instruments or traction engines though!A lovely interesting abode complete with Wesley.
ReplyDeleteI bought this place actually, because I wanted to live in Bourne End and it came with a double garage and a fair sized garden.
DeleteYes it did cost more than a house but I was working up in London and getting 'good money' in those days. Hard up OAP now!
I'm sure you aren't untidy?
Take us bloggers on a wee tour.
It sounds fascinating.
Cheers....B
I library and a music room, wonderful :-) I have books all over the house!
ReplyDeleteI think I will decline on the dusting, It would take me forever ;-)
I must admit some of the bedrooms in my house are rather unconventional too. One is kitted out as an office and one for my computer with a bed settee where I can sit and read when the telly is on downstairs.
I thought, well, if NT houses can have Music rooms and Libraries, why can't I?
DeleteI also have a 'walk-in' pantry and an 'outside' loo, but I didn't bother to mention those. :)
(ps there is a warmer loo in the bathroom I'm pleased to say)
Yep, projects. I know how you feel. I just started in restoring my Concert Roller Organ. Still have the 1910 player piano (pianola to you) to finish as well.
ReplyDeleteThen there are two writing projects in the works. One long, one short. Oh, and a PowerPoint presentation to finish up for a friend.
Hi Deb. It must be difficult finding time for these 'extra' projects when you still have a business to run.
ReplyDeleteI'm retired and still struggle to find time. I can understand you getting a Roller Organ down into your workshop, but how on earth are you going to work on a 'pianola'? They weigh a ton!
Your music room walls appear to be the same color as Snow White's bedroom walls.
ReplyDeleteI'm very impressed with your nice, neat, workshop. You are hereby exempt from my snarky remarks about men who own 3 of every tool but can never find one to fix anything.
Ha,ha. Nearly correct Jan. My walls are the same color as the Dwarf's bedroom! Snow White was just 'visiting'! :o
DeleteThanks for liking my tidy workshop. Apart from spare drills, I don't usually duplicate any tools. One is enough. You and your baby chicks would like my workshop. It has carpet and central heating - home from home! :)
Cheers....B.
Bernard your life time collection of books looks pretty inviting and I love that name for your garsge - Hobby Room - must tell OH that one - but then your one looks well organised - OH is a bit untidy - but then he does make some interesting stuff - good luck with your next project and love to Wesley
ReplyDeleteHi Jane, I have to admit that some of those books are very 'out of date'. Some are my parents and some are my grandparents - I can't throw them out!
DeleteSome are my books from a child in the 1940's-50's, so those are special - to me at least.
I expect they will all get 'recycled' when I have gone.
Wes thanks you..Purrrrrrrrr!
Somehow I must have missed this post on my dashboard. Sorry to be so tardy. I was just looking back today at your blog, thinking 'What on earth has happened to Bernard?' when I saw I had missed this one. Well, what a busy house you have. Gosh, what a lot of interesting stuff and projects.
ReplyDeleteI like the bottle of wine in the library.
Oh, I must go and watch that video now.
I'm sorry, but a probate solicitor had to think to herself 'Who's going to sort and distribute all that stuff out in the final analysis?' Sorry!
It's not just you, I think in that way about everybody! Never did, til I started probate.
Awrrrr, Foody - missed me out?
DeleteWell I have to admit I missed you too. :)
That was a bottle of Port I think.
I took that picture years ago, just after Christmas. The library was tidy in those days. You should see it now. :(
Probate? Sort it out? Ha,ha.
I shall rely on you to advise me. Perhaps I need to put it in the hands of a solicitor?
Cheers.....B
But you'll be dead when the sorting out comes around!
ReplyDeleteThe only advice I can give is make a will in which you will have to appoint executors.
You say you haven't made a will so in that case the sorting out task (and the benefit) will fall to your brothers, on the information that is available to me of course. Poor so-and-so's.
I do like the bells and recorder collection. It's a pity more people don't take up other members of the recorder family rather than the descant. They are lovely instruments, I think,and so simple.
True Foody, but I believe you have to ask people if they mind being an executor. Can you imagine anybody saying "Yes"?
DeleteI'm starting to get rid of a lot of it myself. 'Gift aid' before my 7 years are up.
Ah....the pianola is upstairs in the parlor. I had finished the majority of it while still living in Florida, when I had a full, first floor rebuild shop. Once it was moved up here, I just needed to finish up some removable case parts, tune, and finish the (removable) upper portion of the player unit. Still have that player unit to tweek.
ReplyDeleteUpstairs. Now I'm going to hope you have it positioned over a strong bit of flooring, especially if the parlour is directly over the workshop. :)
DeleteHi Lady B. This is only a fraction of the bits & pieces I have piling up.
ReplyDeleteThere is an upstairs room full, and after that....the loft space!
Cheers....Bernard.
Ah! A man after my own heart. I'm a collector and a do-er too! Thank you for this engagingly honest tour of (part of) your house!
ReplyDeleteHi Katherine,I'm glad you found it interesting. I have had to stop collecting bits and pieces. I was running out of space! And, the thought of moving house, ie down-sizing, gave me sleepless nights. I need to sell a lot of those books. A lot are out-of-date now. Many have already gone to the local charity shops.
ReplyDelete