Saturday, 12 May 2012

"Pussycat. Pussycat, where have you been?"

.
I know. I know.
Where have I been?

It started off with monitor problems.
.
.
"Bugger it" I thought,
I can't be bothered, after all I've got so many
other things piling up in the background.
I expect it is because I use VISTA,
 a 'Visibly Inferior System To Apple's'?

I went back to painting the Organ front.
I needed some indoor jobbies as all it has done
for the last three or four weeks, is rain.

It has not been as bad here, 
as up in the 'Land of the wild and vicious Haggis'.

The weather maps clearly show us
where all the hosepipe bans are in force!
.
RAIN MAP % of AVERAGE
.
I did hear someone tell a joke the other day,
about Solar panels.

I can't remember how it went, but I did read about this Scottish farmer who woke up one freezing cold morning last week to find his entire herd of cows frozen in the field. Rushing outside, he tried everything he could to revive them without any success.
The farmer was distraught and he was wandering around in a daze when a familiar looking old lady walked past and asked if she could help.
The farmer explained the situation and the little old lady told him not to worry and she would see if she could help.
She proceeded to breathe lightly on each cow's nose and rub gently until the cow started to thaw.
Eventually, the entire herd had come back to life.
The farmer was so overjoyed he offered to reward to old lady but she refused saying she was pleased to have helped.
The old lady started to leave but the farmer called out "If you won't let me reward you, at least tell me your name"

"Thora Hird" replied the old lady.

+


See! It's not only wet up there, but cold as well.
(only joking).

Which reminds me, I wonder how Ann is getting on
with keeping her hedgehogs warm & dry? 

I was planting up my tomatoes in the greenhouse the other day,
when I heard a rustling sound from under the bench.
Yes, Mrs Tiggywinkle had woken up.
.
.
Not a very good pic I'm afraid,
but I didn't like to disturb her too much.
I am putting out Wesley's leftovers at night,
and it is all gone next morning.

What other news do I have?
Oh yes, do you remember how Hazel used to
spend hours sitting on her pot(ty)?
.
.
Well I planted it up with Cowslips
which have all come up
and given a very good display. Bless her.
.
.
And then of course at this time of the year, and with
all this rain everyone's had
the garden is going wild!

To be fair, this was last year.
.
.
A sort of 'before' picture.

And this is last week.
.
.
An 'after' picture.
Four rows of spuds, two of 'earlies'
and two of 'main crop'.
There are also carrots, parsnips and leeks in there somewhere.

I've put in chives, parsley and other herbs
down in this front bit.
Oh yes, and two rhubarb roots.
.
.
Sometime back I remember someone asking -
"Do you remember those big 'Sweetie' jars?"
Well I remembered as I bought half a dozen
about forty years ago for a shilling each.

They are in my garden shed housing my
'Blood, Fish & Bone' and other Gardener's goodies!

So you see, I have been kept very busy.

Now as you were all very kind about
all my previous videos, I thought I would do
another for you based on efforts in the garden.
Wesley supervised the video shots 
and the 'songs' were performed by
Ronnie Ronalde in 1949.

Sit back and get a dose of this.


.
Now wasn't that brilliant?

Fancy being able to whistle like a bird,
in tune and to music.
Fantastic.

And my veggies aren't bad either!

O well, 
now the sun's come out,
I suppose, 
I'd better,
get back to work.
.
.
Take care everyone.
Especially those north of Adrian's Wall.

.

52 comments:

  1. Uncle B, only you would have the "bare arsed cheek" to put something like that on your blog LOL

    Good to hear from you and know you have been keeping out of mischief!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that "Lots of Love"? as from Rebekah Brooks o,r rolls on floor "Laughing on Lino"? :D
      ps I've returned you an email. xx

      Delete
    2. Actually my real name is Laurence, but you can call me "LOL" laughs-out-loud.

      You are with-it our Unc, I had to google Rebekah Brooks, hadn't a clue what that was all about!

      xx

      Delete
    3. I have this 'thing' about red hair you see! :D
      Actually it's about our PM, who used to sign off his emails to Mrs Brooks with LOL.
      He thought it was "Lots of Love". A bit out of touch!

      Delete
  2. It's been a while, but it was worth the wait. Your posts always make me smile. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Doohie. I was always taught that good wines and good cheeses always take time to come to their best - and can't be rushed. :)
    Keep smiling. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually folks, what I've just said above is very true. I can't be rushed. These ideas come to me 'out of the blue' and not on a regular, daily or weekly basis. "Be patient. All good things come to those who wait".
    Now who said that?
    I did, a minute ago! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Uncle B., you are such a devil! There I was all teary over the beautiful music, the hot air balloons,the garden and of couse seeing dear Wesley and then what do I see but a butt! Oh, well, it dried my tears anyway. Thanks for the lovely video and for letting us know you haven't forgotten us. You have been missed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Marilyn, Wesley is all embarrassed now, he doesn't have many 'lady-friends' you see.
    Now here in England, us gardeners have butts all over the place. I have five water-butts for a start, collecting rain from the house roof, to enable me to water my garden. I guess showing butts is a sort of 'English' obsession. As Kath says - "We're all a bit cheeky over here".
    Take care....B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to have you posting again Uncle B. Enjoyed your video and the cheeky chappy wasn't bad either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you liked it Molly. You can never rely on us men to be 'regular' at doing anything. We are a 'Law unto ourselves'! Well. I am. :D
    I was called "An awkward old bugger" the other day. Bloody cheek! :O
    Perhaps prunes would make me more 'regular'? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well hello and nice to see you again. We've all missed you and your naughty homour. I searched yesterday for you after reading Foody's blog but you were nowhere to be found.
    Guess we were lucky that we visited last year and missed all the rain you have had this year but we are still pining for England and looking longingly at our photos so your little MovieMaker was very well received.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must learn to proof read. I meant naughty humour!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always around Helen, if you click on 'view profile' you can see all the (4) places I might be hiding. :) Yes, you were lucky with the weather last year; I've thought that several times in the last four weeks. I've been up to Cliveden a couple of times to see the Spring bulbs and it was a bit grim. :)
      Trips to Missenden also turned out damp - mainly 'Sunshine & Showers'. I'm still learning on MovieMaker - but slowly getting there. Do you know how to 'insert' a picture in the storyline, if you miss one out?
      Or - how do you swap two positions over? :O
      Cheers....B

      Delete
  11. Nice to have you back, Bernard, and Wesley, too. Love the name of your Production Company. It must take you a l-o-n-g time to put all that together but worth waiting for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sylve, we're never far away.
      I don't like rushing off a blog-post unless I've got all the bits and pieces - 'Just to my Liking'.
      I have to collect up all the pictures, and then resize them, frame them, and then get them in the right order and - then choose some music and get the slide-show to start & finish at the correct times. All good fun but as you say a l-o-n-g time!
      Glad you enjoyed it.
      Cheers....B.

      Delete
  12. That was brillant Bernard lol. What a 'cheeky ' pic at the bottom........gettit? Lol We had the good spell up here and our daughter in East Mdlands as well as you all "down south" had the rain whist we were dry and sunny here.......which makes a change. Although it is windy and cold today.
    Thank you for the "breakdown" on solar panels etc lol. One of our sons in law is also an engineer. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann. :)
      I hope you didn't mind me putting your name on that 'Rain Map' for a laugh? :o
      Foody will like that I guess?
      As you didn't mention 'Hedgehogs', I assume that none took up your offer of B&B this year? If you put a bit of food out, they'll come back.
      Cheers.....B x

      Delete
  13. Rofl. I just noticed 'ann lives here" on the map. Lol so funny, thank you Bernard . No hedge hogs. The hide was in a wrong part of the garden, no signs of life in it. Maybe next winter. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have a 'Good-sense-of-Humour', Ann. :)
      I've put in a wee link there to your site. A 'click' on the red word 'Ann',(just after the joke) should link to your blog. (if I did it right?) :o

      Delete
    2. Ann, feel free to take a copy of any maps/pictures here. :)

      Delete
    3. Lol. Yes it worked Bernard, well done thank you.. Oh thank you I may and try and "pinch it". But I am no techie that's for sure lol

      Delete
    4. "Right click"
      "Save image as..."
      easy peasy!

      Delete
  14. I think that pot will be so comfortable to sit on now the flowers have sprouted...

    Lovely video, it reminds me I must start sorting my garden out :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wesley never sits in any of my pots Cherie, it was only Hazel that used to do that. I thought you might enjoy the slideshow, and I'm so glad you did. :)
      Actually, if you have a load of photos to 'blog' about, instead of posting them up individually, a slideshow will enable viewing, (30 in my case) in one go.

      Delete
  15. Like the slideshow Bernard the Monitor man, glad to see that you still have pussy in your life, after all the sky water dahn 'ere in 'Ampshire your wet map may need a tweak or two:)

    Have you lost weight?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers 'Ampshire Angus!
      It was quite a problem producing that on a monitor with a mind of its own.
      Wes is getting on a bit. He is Seventeen now (I think)?
      And no, I haven't lost any weight. Special 'narrow angle' lens on the camera! :)

      Delete
  16. So if it started with monitor problems, how did it end though I notice you have been busy - perhaps a taste of Scottish weather has done you proud. Nothing else for it but to get on with it, eh?

    I enjoyed your joke - I liked Thora Hird too - she was a nice woman wasn't she?

    My oh my Bernard - that is a nice picture of your rear in gear - dream on maybe? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs S.
      My monitor at the moment is a bit like an old car. Won't 'fire-up' first go! In fact I now have to switch it on/off 3 or 4 times to get going. Once it is on, it's ok.
      Ha,ha! That's not me! You can see me with no clothes on in the video on the previous post (Rub-a-dub-dub).

      Delete
  17. Hi Bernard. I didn't 'get' the Thora Hird joke. Would an English accent have helped me get it?
    Also had you not noticed that when southern Britain was getting all that rain, northern Scotland was basking in mediterranean temperatures? Oh sorry, I forgot, there is no north, south, east or west in Scotland.
    It's good to see Monkey Organ back. And what a lovely way to remember Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have noticed that wide bands of rain seem to sweep in from the West. Sometimes Scotland get them, sometimes we do. I was going to plant the Cowslips out in the garden, but then I remembered the pot was empty so I used that. I can also see them better from the kitchen window.

      Delete
  18. Hi Bernard,
    That made me smile, I love all your photos, I'll have to have a go myself at the video slide show doo dah. I've not bothered since 'Slide' shut down.
    And yes, I too write when I have an idea, sometimes I can go weeks, thinking 'is this the end? Are my blogging days over?' Then just like waiting for a bus, three ideas turn up at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I glad to hear you liked it.
      Movie-Maker is ok when you get the hang of it. It took me many goes to get things right and to understand 'what does what'.
      Years ago, I used to do a 'mini-blog' every day, usually about things in the news. I got tired of that eventually. Then I tried writing a bit more, say once a week. I ran out of subjects - so now I do something - when motivated. :)
      Cheers...B

      Delete
  19. Yes, it was brilliant. Great photos, great sound. Must go and pause over the music bits ot see if the written music really does reflect the birds' songs.
    Tell Wesley he can supervise lots more. He's a good director.
    Let me know how your rhubarb grows. I've tried two types. One grew but I only got two short sticks thinner than pencils, then it didn't survive the 2009/10 winter. I haven't tried since.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I thought you'd like it. :)
    Yes, all that music is real bird song, I promise you, although not the actual sound at the time on the video. I will email copies of the music, when I get a min.
    Now, I have been told I mustn't pull rhubarb the first season. Don't give up, because rhubarb just loves 'pony manure'. As children we used to go out in the road to gather 'horse manure' from the milkman's horse - for Dad's rhubarb. We then had to eat eat it with custard! The Rhubarb - not the 'horse manure'! :O

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brilliant blog Bernard - do all those birds visit your garden? did I see Quail and what is that bird in the sky it looks a bit like a Red Kite - and top marks for your doves and pigeon shots - I wonder how much an hour that gardener in the black wellies charges? is he off one of those naughty postcards? phew!! Love to Wesley he is so photogenic - I am still trying to find your Wind in the Willows blog - take care - Jane

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good morning Jane. Thank you.
    Yes, all those pictures are taken in the garden. Those are not quail, but Red-legged Partridge and yes, that is my Red Kite. I'm sorry you can't find that blog but another way is to go to my list of 'Labels', up on the right-hand side, and click on 'Local History'. You need to then go back to Aug 2009. I was going to say that I have done blogs on the Partridge and the Red Kites. They are under 'Garden Wildlife'.
    Cheers....B

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good Evening Uncle B.,...always great to see you have posted again!!!.....and to read it ofcourse......and what a fine post it is!!...would love to see the farmer here get to work like that tomorrow...it will be 20 degrees here then but i guess his wife wont appriciate that....I love that picture of Hazel on het "potty".....and those of your hedgehocks.. ....ours are out too...and your garden....well...all images excually....and that video is brillant.....we love to see some more.supervised by Wesley ofcourse.....wish i could wistle like that at work...most of the time they tell me to shut-up....and thank you for the explanation on my blog...guess no-one uses those studs anymore...could not find a name for it in my head ..remember my mother closed one of my raincoats with them when i was of to school way back when and that did hurt because she hat to push so hard to close them and i was very skinny.....she would not stand a change now!!....so....waiting paciently for your next video...take your time....we are not going anywhere.....de zomer staat al om de hoek...hopelijk met minder regen.....take care ...groetjes en een hug voor Wesley!!... Francien.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goedemorgen Francien, Wesley thanks you for the {hug} and I thank you for the lieve interesting comment you have left us. It has been quite wet and cool here, but na regen komt zonnesschijn. :)
      All my videos to date are up on my channel on YouTube. They take time to make but I enjoy doing them and Wesley is a good supervisor.
      Press-studs. Yes. Actually my duvet covers here have a few at the bottom but I never bother to click them together. I have heard them referred to as 'poppers'? Kath will know.
      Groetjes...Bernard

      Delete
  24. Well, glad you're back. I haven't been writing either, so now I don't feel so guilty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Myrna.
      I like to have a bit of 'time off' to recharge my batteries you see.
      Cheers.....B. :)

      Delete
  25. Phewwwwww had to come inside Bernard to cool down. Glasgow temp same as London yesterday yehhhhhhhhhhhh x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did spot that Ann. :)
      Do you like this heat?
      Anything above 70F and I get all bad tempered because I have to sit in the shade and can't get on with my jobs, gardening or hobbies.
      And.....I have to lug can loads of water down the garden to water my veggies. We have a ban on hosepipes here you see.
      Such is life. I bet we get rain during the Bank Holiday street parties. :(
      Cheers....B

      Delete
    2. I like the sunshine Bernard, but like you i have to sit in the shade. Me being a redhead and fair skin, never mind i just come inside and sit in the front room which is north facing so lovely and cool. I did a bit of gardening but i made sure i was in a shaded part of the garden. Just finished watering the plants i put in the other day, then another sit down.........with a glass (or 2) of wine lol

      Delete
  26. I always meant to get back to you re your nude video appearance - Och you were only a boy - but a naughty one nevertheless (if that really was you). Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. T'was me. :)
      It was taken a few years back on holiday in Italy.
      I've got a few more white hairs now! :o

      Delete
  27. Hello Bernard thank you for stopping by :-)

    Sunny and dry here in Ayr and most parts of bonnie Scotland, now why on earth they didn't arrange to have the flotillas on the river Ayr i don't know ! Her majesty could have stayed in my little B&B and then just popped over the road to her barge on the river which is just a hop skip and a jump lol

    A lovely day here although breezy but it is DRY. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have to look-up the River Ayr. :)
      Is it deep enough for a Royal barge? And, most important. Does your B&B have a 'throne' with a red velvet seat? He,he!

      Delete
    2. The river is not deep enough Bernard. I would have found a red carpet to lead to the "throne" room lol

      Delete
  28. We are watching the Queen's Jubilee on TV. The weather is atrocious, but the Queen is elegant and hearty. She hasn't sat down yet. The grand finale "fly-by" has been cancelled due to weather. However the London Philharmonic is still going to play for her. Has anyone on the blog been there in person?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Myrna. I haven't heard of anyone from round here, who is going up to London to watch.
      I myself don't have a television so I have not seen any of it.
      It appears from this mornings papers, that it was not very well covered by the BBC.

      "The BBC is facing criticism over its coverage of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee river pageant, with its on-air commentary described as "lamentable" and one MP accusing it of indulging in "low grade, celebrity driven drivel".

      This sounds as though it was pretty awful. :(
      I'm glad you enjoyed though. :)
      Cheers....Bernard

      Delete