Sunday, 29 August 2010

"Down the Cut"

.
Some of you may have noticed that I have added a link to “Ramblings of a Boatwoman”. Her blog is actually called “My Life on the cut. - From a female perspective” and I am enjoying reading it very much.
I have been following her journey by referring to my canal maps.
.
.
You see, I have also been reading the ‘Water Road’ by Paul Gogarty. He is a travel writer for the Daily Telegraph and spent four months travelling 900 miles of England’s waterways.
The old maps are very useful to see exactly where people are.
.
.
Paul, not looking where he's going!
(or perhaps 'going astern'?)

I have always been fascinated by our canal system and would just love to go off and explore.
My very first view of a canal would have been at Bournville, where the Worcester & Birmingham canal ran alongside the railway for many miles. When I was young, six or seven, Mother would take us to the Cadbury factory to wave to our Father. Now he worked in an area called ’waterside’, for the very reason it was alongside the canal. Here we could watch the trains, watch the canal boats and at a pre-arranged time, wave to Dad, who would come out onto those steps on the left of the picture below.
.
.
Waterside - Cadburys, Bournville.

Later on, when at Grammar school, my mate and I would take his canoe to the ‘cut’ at Kings Norton and paddle up and down. We had to take it in-turns as it only seated one.
Kings Norton is at the junction of the W & B canal and the Stratford canal (the very same Stratford-on-Avon ie Shakespeare). There is a 2726 yard long canal tunnel here called Wast Hill Tunnel and we, being foolhardy lads, used to paddle off down into the darkness with no lights or life-jackets. They were the days!
I was hooked and set about building my own (as I would) in woodwork classes. I finished all the wooden framing and took it home to cover it with canvas.
This never came to be - I cannot recall why the project came to a halt - probably because of cost.
It wasn’t until 1973 that I got a real chance to see more of the canal system. A group of eight of us, hired two boats for a week, and set off up the Oxford canal. We travelled for three days and then turned round on the Grand Union and spent three days coming back. That’s me on the right of the picture in my Aran sea-going wooly pully. (Which incidentally, my Mother knitted for me and…..yes, you’ve guessed I, still have it today.)
.
.
Oxford Canal - 1973
(with Chris & I think Lorraine, from NZ)

I also, still have the book we used way back in ‘73. I’m sure it is still valid, even though 37 years old, as canals and locks have a habit of staying put!
.
.
Now I don’t have any music to offer on canals but many songs were written.
There is a link here to a site where you can hear quite a number.
.
.

14 comments:

  1. Bernard both me and my other half are enjoying reading your blog! The Montgomery Canal in Powys is very near - well within three miles or so from where we live. They do the canal boats there too. I think there is a web site you might find interesting on the Montgomeryshire Canal. I'm not very computer savvy about those linky things so Google might bring it up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to holiday. I've never been on a canal boat but these are so much part of our literature and deeply rooted in our imaginations.
    Over the years, I've looked at photos of other people's trips and yes, this is definitely on the list of things to do before I get too old.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a particular affection for the grand Union canal, having ridden along its towpaths for many years, when I kept my horse in Hayes. We would ride down to the PAdington Packet boat pub and ride all the way to Iver and beyond. Of course they were mishaps, my freind Mary went in twice avec horse but both lived to tell the tale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This all sounds like a lot of fun, though I don't understand why it took 4 whole months to only go 1000 miles - the author was really into having FUN along the way? Anyway, it sounds more enjoyable than boating across the US, which is actually almost possible. I'd like to recommend River-Horse: The Logbook of a Boat Across America by William Least Heat-Moon.

    Let me know when you're all going to do a long boat trip, that might be worth getting a passport.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imagine it was a lovely trip. We like river-boating, and I suspect it is similar. I haven't posted anything much for a while because I have been so caught up with doctors and physical therapy appointments I haven't DONE anything worth writing about. But my time will come. We have a couple of trips coming up, and I will write again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Molly:
    Thanks, I’m glad you both found something to interest you. Of course never two days are the same here. I started these blogs off, based on a musical theme but of course things like ’tomatoes’ wont fit in!
    I have heard of the Llangollen canal but not the Montgomeryshire. I love the names of these old counties - the ones we were taught at school Will look it up.

    Hi Kate:
    Nice of you to drop by. I really enjoyed that holiday - there was always plenty to do - opening locks and bridges. The evenings in the canal-side pubs were fun and of course you get to see parts of England not visible from the road. :)
    I have an Organ Grinder friend ’just down the road’ from you (Monaro Hwy? ) Derek lives in Bombala.

    Morning Kath:
    Sounds risky to me! :o
    We used to ride our bikes along tow-paths and that was hairy enough - but on horseback!
    It must have looked frightening from up there on the back of a pony/horse. Not very clean water to fall into I would imagine. :(

    Hi Jan:
    900 miles? - well you see, they are not straight miles, or even level miles here in England. We are all hills and valleys and the canals wind this way and that and go up and down through hundreds of locks. Then there are the small bridges that have to be raised and of course a speed limit. I think it about 4 knots or four mph. It is on the Thames. Do you know, you don’t even have to drive the boats yourself anymore. We now have floating ‘hotels’ on the canals. Just sit back and enjoy the English county-side on the move. Thanks for the ref; I shall look it up.

    Hi Myrna:
    Sorry to hear that you have been busy with doctors visits etc. I have been meaning to enquire about that poor leg of yours. A boat trip sound ideal - you could just sit back and rest it. Let hubby do all the work. :)

    Cheers all......Bernard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Aran brings back memories. I am sure I still have mine tucked away in the back of the cupboard somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always fancied travelling the canals, a friend lives and works on a barge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Canals are a new experience to us as we don't have any of them here (not enough water!!!). I have seen them when I've been to the UK and in France too and I would love to see inside those cute little narrow boats. The locks too are great. Have you seen the modern version at Falkirk in Scotland? Physics at work - a great thing to show kids.
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cherie:
    They were very popular at one time. With today's central heating and indoor shopping malls, there is not so much need to wrap up warm. Except perhaps on the top of the Wrekin!

    Eliza,
    If I had a friend with a boat, I'd be trying to scrounge a holiday! :)
    Try a holiday - it's good fun.

    Morning Helen:
    We have narrow canals here (hence "Narrow-boats") and I believe the French and others on the continent have wider ones, probably twice as wide. I don't think they need so many locks as we do here.
    I have seen the 'Falkirk Lift', or 'Wheel' as it is sometimes called, but only in pictures.
    Would love to see the real thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many thanks for an interesting post..the Cadbury's picture was lovely..the milk from my Grandfather's cows travelled down the canal to Bournville when my Mother was small. The boaties used to pinch the mushrooms from the pasture along the canal so you needed to be up early if you wanted Muchrooms for breakfast :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Val,
    Forgive me, I didn't spot your comment down here for a while.
    I was born in Bournville and at one time both parents worked there. I have of course, hundreds of old photos of Bournville and have popped up several on this blog over the years. Fancy you leaving Shropshire for Alaska - I shall have to visit your blogs and read all about it.
    By the way, CherryPie blogs from Shropshire if you are interested.
    Cheers......Bernard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice picures. I think the one with the jumpers looks like the front of a knitting pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Foody,
    1973 was a "Wooly Pully Period".
    A lot of people knitted. I must still have at least four upstairs somewhere that my Mother knitted for me.
    All the wool shops around here have all closed down. :(

    ReplyDelete