Tuesday, 24 August 2010

Dropped in the Soup.

.
Oh no! Not tomatoes again?
'Fraid so.
Actually, what happened is - I have just downloaded
some software for re-sizing pictures.
I then found out that it had lots of other features
and so I've been trying a few out.
.
.
You can get these small rounded corners,
coloured margins,
fancy frames
and once you have re-sized them,
put them into little groups (as above).
I just thought I'd test it out on 'tomatoes'.
Yes, they are still coming 'thick & fast'.
.
.
"Hello Tom. You're looking a bit down."
"Yes, I reckon someone's dropped us in the soup!"



Yes, soup it is.
.
.
Easy to make and freezes well to have on those first cold days of autumn.
.

9 comments:

  1. You certainly have a HUGE crop! Can't think of any other way to use them except soup but do the skins cause a problem?
    If you are a pizza lover they would be great on pizza too and I have a very nice,easy recipe using puff pastry, ricotta and parmesan cheese.
    Bon Appetit
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Helen:
    Yes, skins can be a problem. With large toms I plunge them in boiling water first and the skins come off. However, with these little fellows it would take for ever. I zap the whole lot after cooking and that seems to cut them all up nicely. Some books suggest putting it all through a sieve to get the bits out. I actually prefer a 'soup with bits' in, to a smooth one.
    Cheers.....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you've certainly done well for tomatoes this year. I love tomato soup. You'll have wonderful lunches through winter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember your tomato post of 2009. I do like those little men/bird shaped ones.
    Soup seems the simplest solution. I bet it's really lovely and tasty and just the thing for this cold, wet, windy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new software looks like a lot of fun and I do like those two tomato creatures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eliza:
    A 'heavy cropper' I would say.....but, although great to just eat, they are a real fiddle to pick and an even bigger fiddle removing all the stalks. A bit like "topping & tailing" gooseberries.

    Foody:
    A different variety this year.
    I notice there are yellow ones and stripey ones available, but I really go for those with flavour. All through the winter months we have to make do with hard, tasteless imports so it is nice to have a bit of home made soup to remind you of what real tomatoes taste like.
    The little tomato creatures reminded me of
    "Chad". The one with a large nose that hung over a wall - saying "Wot no beer?".
    (War time cartoon).

    Cherie:
    I didn't download the S/W you suggested (Thanks, by the way), as I had already got this one up and running. It seems to fit the bill and resizes pictures easily. Unless I reduced the size I would have soon run out of free storage on Picasa. :(
    Do you remember Chad? No I bet you are too young. :)
    See my comment to Foody above.

    Cheers all.....back to soup making!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good evening Uncle B..i was in Germany with the kids so i missed some of your posts..sorry....you had your work cut-out for you there...but what a great harvest!!..the tomatoes look delicious..that soup must taste awesome...
    Like the pictures...especially the one with "Tom"...
    and maybe you like to play with this free download to resize your pictures or put them in a heartshape mosaic...it fun!.
    greetings Francien.
    http://www.shapecollage.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Francien,
    You mustn't worry about missing posts of mine. I don't expect they were all that interesting.
    Do you know, none of these batches of soup, taste the same. They are all slightly different. I guess it's because I never weigh anything! I just throw in a bit of bacon; sometimes I use just one onion or maybe two smaller ones. My 'pinch' of herbs is never the same size. :)
    This all gives each soup a bit of variety.
    Thanks for that link - I will look it up.
    Greetings.......Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grown in window boxes Lady B.
    I have left a reply on your blog. :)
    Cheers.....Bernard

    ReplyDelete