.
If, you're free on Tuesday,
Let's go to the Market in Thame,
For I'm after some "What do you call its ?"
And I'm looking for "Oh, what's its name ?"
If we're lucky we might get "Thing-a-me-jigs",
As we saunter between the stalls,
Some faggots, pork scratchings,
Some real White Pud,
And a quarter of Aniseed Balls!
"Eadles" White Pudding made in Oxford, England.
My mention of White Pudding aroused a bit of interest the other day so I thought I’d tell you what I know about them.
During the 1940-50’s there was not much meat about and many times, sausages were about all you could get.........
A customer complained to her butcher about the sausages she had bought from him the previous week.
“They were all meat at one end, and all bread at the other.”
“I’m sorry, madam,” said the butcher.
“There is War on you know, and it’s very difficult to make both ends meat.”
And, we may laugh now, but it really was difficult for my Mother to “make ends meet”.
There were all sorts of alternatives - things from Pig’s trotters to tripe, and of course - White Puddings. (I may mention a few of the other 'delicacies' another time).
The puddings we had then, would have been made to a West Midlands recipe, probably from over Dudley way. I notice that Wikipedia does not mention the Midlands, but there you go. The best things are kept secret anyway.
First off there is a Scottish version. This is also called Mealie Pudding and is basically made from beef suet, oatmeal and onions or leeks.
Next off there is the Hog’s Pudding from down in the West Country. This is made from minced pork, pork fat, rusk and groats or unpolished barley. It is made in both Cornwall and Devon and the only difference is found in the seasoning. Mace, nutmeg, thyme and cayenne are used in the Devonshire version whilst the Cornish recipe shows mace, nutmeg, thyme and parsley. (Ref; Book of Sausages by Hippisley Coxe).
.
.
From my library.
There is also an Irish Pud, which is virtually the same as the Scottish one but with some ground cloves added.
Our version from the Midlands was made from rusk, pearl barley, pork fat and leeks.
The mixture was moistened with milk and seasoned with thyme and marjoram.
I can’t buy any white puddings in this area, so I have to go to Thame market where I can buy a version made in Oxford. (see above).
Years ago my mother would slice the pudding long-ways and fry it for us, but now I prefer to slice it across and bake it. (less fatty - must think of my heart).
And........for those who like sausages and pies, I have added a couple of new links further down on the right-hand side.
.

According to our local Irish restaurant white pudding originated in Ireland, used as part of the traditional Irish breakfast. I wasn't sure if this was true but wherever it comes from I love it. I am so pleased it is nearly lunch time, reading about food has made me feel quite hungry.
ReplyDeleteWell Uncle Bernard it's a case of live and learn for me!
ReplyDeletei'll give the White Pud a try when I'm next in the UK. ( Hope it won't be too long away !!!)
Cheers
Helen
Good Afternoon Uncle B..thank you...you have explained it very good...i have had googled too...found reading material and recipes..even found at Amazon??!!a whole ring and were to buy it..
ReplyDeletehttp://www.amazon.com/Irish-White-Pudding-Ring/dp/B000LEF97O
We dont have it here in Holland...so i will join you to the market then..i wish...
greetings Francien.
I have only eaten it in Ireland, but no taste of cloves thankfully! We have a Farmers market in Glastonbury (also on Tuesdays) and I look forward to exploring what that has to offer.
ReplyDeleteThat recipe sounds delicious, I had no idea what was in them.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteThe joke from the war years is very interesting. Isn't it wonderful how people can use humor to soothe over such adversity. As for sausages, I never heard of any of them, and judging from the ingredients I probably wouldn't eat them. Being the plain eater that I am, I might starve in the UK. However, I spent 3 weeks in England and Scotland several years ago and ate quite well, so there you go. Take care and keep collecting. Do you cure pigs?
ReplyDeleteHi Valerie:
ReplyDeleteWhite puddings I imagine could originate anywhere. They are basically a way of using up all the ‘left-over bits’ of meat from the carcass. I find all versions very tasty.
Good for you Helen! Give them a try. But remember they can vary in taste, depending on where they come from. :)
Morning Francien,
I am surprised that they are not found in Holland. There are no unusual ingredients after all. They are no more than a large ‘Pork and Leek’ sausage.
The English love their sausages and there are dozens of different varieties to choose from. We are famous for “Bangers and Mash”.
Hi Kath,
Yes, Valerie was saying about the great Irish breakfast. I expect White pudding can be found in any country where pigs are farmed. They are really a pork sausage, but using up the fatty cuts of meat rather than ’best’ pork. The Scottish puds do not contain pork but beef suet, so to me they are in a different group. (beef sausage)
Morning Cherie;
You should be well placed, there in Shropshire, to get hold of the ‘real’ puddings.
I notice you say “the recipe sounds delicious”. I guess they are not as tempting to you as ‘naughty cakes’. LOL
Claudia, thanks. I’m glad you found that interesting. Not exactly ‘musical’ though?
Hi Myrna.
We had jokes all the time during those years.
All these sausages contained the ‘not so good’ bits of meat. Sausages were a good thing to fill up us hungry boys. We didn’t care or ask, what went into them. They tasted good to us and were served up with mashed potatoes and gravy.
“A rare good ballast for an empty belly”.
No, I don’t know anything about curing bacon. I just picked that book up in a flee market for 50 cents! I like reading up on things and it contained lots of old recipes too.
I liked that post, particularly because I am just back from mid east Suffolk where they seem to rear pigs in a big way.
ReplyDeleteI found the Irish white pudding in Connemara very different from the type I had eaten in south east Scotland. It had next to no oatmeal in it. I daresay the different areas of each country have their own versions.
Good old fatty piggy foods!
Hi Foody,
ReplyDelete"Good old fatty piggy foods."
Agree, but all the flavour is in the fatty bits.
Hard to cut out the things in life we enjoy.