Thursday, 5 August 2010

"Hundreds and Thousands"

.
Yesterday, Hazel was sitting by the back door
watching the world go by.
When you are an old lady,
there is plenty of time just to sit and watch.
.
.
I went to see what it was that she was looking at?
A Dragonfly was flitting up and down the yard and years ago she, or one of the two others would have grounded it - but not now - in fact they haven’t chased anything for years.
I stood there with her, looking out, and popped a tomato into my mouth!

For this year - I have tried growing tomatoes in window boxes on both sides of the conservatory. Talk about a success. I am overloaded.
.
.
Still in flower.

They are called 100’s and 1000’s
and the first figure is certainly true.

.
.
Down to the ground.

They are really the size of cherries or even smaller - more like grapes!
The plants are sagging under the weight and I have had to tie them back to the conservatory window frames.

.
.
It seems that with these small tomatoes the flavour is more concentrated. They may be small, but they are juicy, tasty and sweet.

My large tomatoes in the greenhouse are also doing well. It is just as well they are not in the garden, as with no rain for weeks on end, they would have produced very little.

Here the larger ones are being cooked on top of a fish and broccoli bake,
finished off with those delicious
.
.
You can’t beat ‘home grown’, ’home cooked’ food.
Unless, you’re a cat - when it comes out of tins!
Must go.
Hazel and Wesley are hungry.
.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a fantastic crop of tomatoes, those tiny ones are definitely full of flavour. Would it be too much trouble to send us a taster ... grins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow they do look good. Will you be able to eat them all or will you make something - relish perhaps? I've never heard of pickled nasturtium seeds. Thay look a bit like capers, do they taste like them?
    You'll be getting quite a cooking following if you continue to show us these great looking meals!
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? If it doesn't rain they don't get water? You mean you don't irrigate things? Nothing would grow in California if it wasn't irrigated. In the yard that's with a hose, in the fields there's usually a ditch of some sort. And I've never heard of nasturtium seeds being pickled. That's really interesting. Weird, but interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cherry tomatoes look delightful and I can almost taste them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Val,
    I do like trying different varieties as the flavours can be different.
    Shop tomatoes seem to have no taste these days. :(
    I may well grow these again next year.

    Helen, I shall have a good attempt at eating them all. :D
    Most years I make soup from the large tomatoes when there is a glut, but this time there are not quite so many.
    The seeds are very similar to capers in size but have lovely peppery taste.
    I have put in a reference further down.

    Morning Jan,
    ‘Fraid so. If it doesn’t rain, my garden doesn’t get water.
    All my pots, boxes and tubs get watered twice a day though. Tomatoes get a liquid feed as well.
    Plants in the garden have to make do. Of course, if I see things wilting they get watered, but here in England we get ‘Hosepipe Bans’ every summer. The Water Companies never store enough. Either that or the population is too large for this little island. :(
    Helen hadn’t heard of pickled seeds, so here is a reference to a site that tells you all about:-
    Stuffed Nasturtium Flowers
    Nasturtium Vinegar
    Nasturtium Lemon Butter
    Pickled Nasturtium Seeds

    http://www.herbalgardens.com/archives/articles-archive/nasturtiums.html

    Hi CherryPie,
    They may be small, but they sure have a super flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonder what you'll do with all these toms. I remember last year you were after suggestions.
    That dish of food looked bloomin' good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow those tomatoes look wonderful- yum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Warm comgratulations...with a touch of envy. Marvellous to grow your own tomatoes. And with so much success. I just manage a small herbal planter in my solarium. It's nice for cooking and salads.I keep it under a lamp as I don't have any sun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our neighbor's garden has been taken over with cherry tomatoes, so we have been gifted with them.

    Yummmm, I've been eating them as a side dish each dinner. Just sliced in half and salted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Foody, Eliza, Claudia & Deb;
    Morning all.
    A packet of seeds these days, usually has about 25 seeds in it. I plant them all - in case some don't come up.
    They all do!
    And I end up planting them all up in pots, as I'm not ruthless enough to discard any. You are supposed to prick-out the weakest and only plant on the strongest - but being a softy, I save them all.
    This is why I end up with loads of tomatoes every year. I give loads away and always make soup and then freeze it.
    I tried Italian Plum tomatoes one year, but they did not crop very well. :(

    ReplyDelete