Thursday, 26 August 2010

Keeping abreast of the News

.
It is generally thought that Marks & Spencer is Britain’s largest retailer of lingerie. However we are informed, by a M&S spokeswoman, (and I assure you that I cannot vouch for this being true), that -

“Only one in three UK women wears our lingerie."
"We sell more than 50 million pairs of knickers
and 20 million bras every year.”

Yet even Marks & Spencer could not deny that lingerie is an art form created and dominated by the French.
.
.
A relic from WW2 (1940's)

When we were at junior school no one had heard of the word ‘Bra’.
I can however, remember in the playground kids coming up and asking -

“If wooden cows have wooden ears, and steel cows have steel ears.”
“What do brass cows have?“

They would then fall about laughing when you said “Brassieres”.
Pathetic when compared to today’s playground humour, but thing were different in 1949.


.
.
An Orangery Brasserie?

And as it's the so called 'Silly Season'........

A man suffering from amnesia was found wandering in the street by the police.
When questioned he said he didn’t know where he came from. So they took him to the police station, and, to keep him occupied, gave him a copy of the Sun to read. He immediately turned to page three and became very excited.
The sergeant behind the desk turned to his officer and said,
“He’s obviously a Bristol man”.


Try shoving an ice-cube down your wife’s front at night -
‘There’s the chest freezer you wanted.’ (Ken Dodd)


The ladies who live in Helsinki,
Are thin and flat-chested and slinky.
So most of the chaps
Prefer much larger Lapps.
Who am I to condemn them as kinky?


On the breast of a barmaid in Sale,
Is tattoo'd the price of brown ale.
And on her behind,
For the sake of the blind,
Is the same information, in braille!



9 comments:

  1. 'Only' one in three? Is that bad?
    I thought a brasserie was really meant to be a place to drink beer. That's waht they seem to be in France. Restaurants too get called brasseries and I can't see the difference between one that is called a brasserie and one that isn't. I think they just use the term because they think it makes them a bit posh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Uncle Bernard. This is the first time that I've visited your site and I've enjoyed reading through your blog. It made me laugh. I like the 1949 type of humour it's pre Tony Blackburn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that brassier would glow in the dark!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Foody:
    Not bad at all. I guess 33% of the market is very good. I used to get my (mens) :) clothes from M&S, but to be honest, they cost more and lasted too long! I like a change and have quite a few excellent bits from ASDA George.
    You are right, 'brasserie' sounds posh - and I bet the menu is in French. :(

    Molly,
    Hello. Nice of you to drop by. I do remember visiting you blog last week but do you know, I can't remember if I left a comment or not?
    It may have to been on the Great Village Show.
    I remember Welshpool as a young lad of nine.
    My parents had a caravan at Towyn and Welshpool was on the way from Bournville.
    I expect we stopped there for a cuppa tea and a wee. Us boys used to sit in the back of the car looking out for the old railway track. It was not restored in those days. We used to ride on the Tal-y-llyn when we were on hols.
    You have landed here during one of my silly moods! All my posts are not like this. :)

    Cherie:
    I'm sure you are right! Can't imagine what you could wear it under - except an orange jumper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yoohoo Unc, I've missed you while I've been moving house:D
    But now I've got internet again and I've come over to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning Kath.
    I've missed you too. It's good to see your
    'little smiling picture' back. :)
    It seems to have not come back on my group of followers though. :(
    Glad the move went smoothly and that you and the dogs are settled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOh isn't that odd,that happened once before when it defaulted to some other profile which I'd set up for another site. I just checked and changed it back to my Blogger pic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful. :)
    Can't afford to lose any valuable, faithful Followers. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you wouldn't lost me Unc! but for a while it seems you got my alter-ego "Kat" instead of your neice Kath :D

    ReplyDelete