Saturday, 25 September 2010

Amersham’s Heritage Open Day

.
This has to be the first weekend for months and months,
when I have nothing to do.

It's been a busy old Summer with something happening every weekend
and sometimes a clash of dates and events.
This happened on the 12th Sept with
Cookham Downhill Grand Prix.
and
Amersham’s Heritage Open Day.
.
.
I chose Amersham, as there is always lots going on, rather than just one main event.
The High Street was closed off except for rides on a 'vintage' bus. Not really Vintage, but just old.
There were people dressed in period costume. I wasn't sure what period - just old I guess.
Then further down the High St., loads and loads of real vintage cars.
.
.
I only show one of them here, because
I particularly liked the background building.
Last year was also a fine day
and there is a write and different pictures (I hope) on my post here

.
.
This is the new Amersham Town Crier, Mark Jones. He was born in Amersham 51 years ago and has lived in and around the town all his life. He can’t think of a better place to live than his home town. Mark states, “For many years people told me that with my naturally loud voice I should be a Town Crier! Well now I can use this “ability” in my new role. It‘s a position that I feel very honoured, privileged and proud to hold.” As Mark is Amersham’s first Town Crier he has had to have an outfit tailored for him by a leading historical costumier based in Nottingham. His uniform is based on a traditional 1750’s design.
.
.
We were so lucky with the weather and it was great to see so many people enjoying the stalls and shows along The Broadway, High Street and in Church Mead.
Plenty to do, see and hear. Music could be heard at five locations which all added to the heritage atmosphere – the Brass Band in the gardens, the Morris Dancers and the Doyle Dancers in the High St., the superb Re-loaded Rhythm and Blues Band and last but not least, a Fairground Organ from the Amersham Museum.
.
.
The Amersham Band was brilliant as usual in the Memorial Gardens; the clowns were hilarious, plus we had Amersham Townswomen’s Guild selling cakes and teas in Market Hall and Seasons selling refreshments in the Gardens.
.
.
You may have noticed that I'm trying out my new bit of software for the pictures.
I don't want to overdo it, but in some cases it does help. That picture of the Morris Men was surrounded by a large area of brick wall and tarmac road. The blended circle round it reduced this.

And here a colourful surround to the clowns.
.
.
This clown above had a toy dog on a pole.
As he pushed it, its legs 'walked' and this giant poodle
was straining at the lead to try and get hold of it.

And of course I couldn't have a day out without one of these.
.
.
Much more on the history of Amersham can be found here.
.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good day out. Great pictures. I can remember going to town on those old green double decker buses. They used to be owned by the Crosville Bus Company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALl that sunshine! what a lovely day out. I did laugh at that poodle eyeing up the woolly pretender :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Open Day looks amazing - I do envy all that culture and history.
    And the organ. Oh my goodness. What a thing of beauty!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly,
    We have been lucky with the weather every year.
    A wet day can ruin everyone's fun - we would have had to spend all afternoon going for rides on the bus. Yes you are right, they were run by Crosville.

    Yes Kath, another day of 'wall to wall' sunshine. :)
    All the dogs got very agitated by this woolly imposter. If they hadn't been on leads, I'm sure many of them would have torn it to bits!

    Hello Kate,
    On Heritage day, many buildings are thrown open to the public that are closed to them during the rest of the year. This is your annual chance to see what it's like inside some of these interesting places.
    I put in a link to the Organ Museum in the above post. (just above the Morris dancers).
    Here it is again:-
    http://tracker-bar.blogspot.com/2009/02/day-
    at-amersham.html
    You can hear them playing on this clip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like it was a really interesting day out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all looks such fun. Loved the clown on the ball with the huge feet. I'd like a pair of shoes like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great day out.
    I loved the dog too !
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. CherryPie, I am always very careful to pick interesting 'Days out'.
    I'm sure you do as well. :)

    Hello Foody,
    It is a big fun day. Heritage can sound soooo
    booooring to many children (and adults) so they try to brighten things up. They even had chickens in the park! (I didn't post a pic up as I guess we all know what chickens look like (except those that sing!) :)
    I was chatting to that clown, as I thought he must have had sand, or a heavy ball inside the big one to stabilize it? But no, he let me have a look - just a big empty plastic ball.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Helen,
    You popped in just as I was typing my reply to Cherie and Foody. Yes it was fun all round - Kath liked the doggie bit as well. :)
    Are you still up at 1 o'clock at night?
    I'd have been asleep four hours by that time!
    Cheers....Bernard

    ReplyDelete