.
Gosh! Hasn’t the summer gone quick?
I called in at the doctors yesterday to make an appointment
for my six monthly blood pressure check.
I don’t understand all these pressures they use.
I use pounds per square inch.
And when I check the pressure in the organ reservoir,
I use inches of water (on a real water gauge).
The doc. tells me my blood pressure is 140 over 80.
To me that is 140/80 which according to my Maths,
works out at 1.75.
One point seven-five what?
And is that good or bad?
Then I saw this big notice - Flu Jabs this year 2nd & 9th October. Free to all OAP’s and other vulnerable persons. The Flu season is with us again. I wonder what new Flu strain they will dream up this year? We’ve had ‘Bird Flu’ one year, ‘Pig Flu’ the next, how about Elephant Flu?
I was wondering - "If pigs could fly", would they catch ‘Bird Flu’ or ‘Pig Flu’?
Well, I got my appointment for Monday at 4:20 and the receptionist gave me a little reminder card. Monday is only a couple of days away but they like to be helpful to us seniors.
.
.
I can't say I was all that keen on their choice
of those advertising services!
I need cheering up now.
Here’s one of my corny jokes.
A man was walking home alone late one night when he hears a BUMP...BUMP...BUMP... behind him.
Walking faster he looks back, and makes out the image of an upright coffin banging its way down the middle of the street towards him...BUMP... BUMP... BUMP...
Terrified, the man begins to run towards his home, the coffin bouncing quickly behind him ... faster... faster... BUMP...BUMP... BUMP. He runs up to his door, fumbles with his keys, opens the door, rushes in, slams and locks the door behind him. However, the coffin crashes through his door, with the lid of the coffin clapping ...clappity-BUMP... clappity-BUMP... clappity-BUMP...on the heels of the terrified man. Rushing upstairs to the bathroom, the man locks himself in. His heart is pounding; his head is reeling; his breath is coming in sobbing gasps. With a loud CRASH the coffin breaks down the door. Bumping and clapping towards him.
The man screams and reaches for something, anything ... but all he can find is a box of cough drops!
Desperate, he throws the cough drops at the coffin ...... and of course
... the coffin stops!
And as the Chimney Sweep said to the Vicar's wife....
"I'll be up your flue in a minute or two"
....or was it the Lighthouse Keepers wife?
Can't remember - I'm getting past it.
(Angus, they'll get you next year!)
.

It was the Lighthouse keeper to his daughter Bernard:)
ReplyDeleteI'll be up your flue in a minute or two
Said the lighthouse keeper to his daughter.
Oh no you won't you silly old goat,
I'll throw you in the water.
Oh joy I am reallt looking forward to that, unless "they" cut those as well.
The Lighthouse keeper had a daughter Bernard?
ReplyDeleteWell, well, well!
Actually Angus, I have heard worse verse! :o!
I'll be up your flue in a minute or two
ReplyDeleteSaid the lighthouse keeper to his daughter.
I aint been up for a week or two
And I think it's time I oughter.
Your blood pressure's better than mine :-) Love the coffin joke.
ReplyDeleteI love the bottom left advert on your appointment card......funeral directors? Your Doctor covers all eventualities.
ReplyDeleteWhen I used to live in Gosport there were three businesses situated all next to each other:- a doctors surgery, a chemist and an undertaker. My family always referred to them as "kill 'em, cure 'em or cremate 'em"
Good morning Uncle B...
ReplyDeleteOur doctor here in the little village act sometimes like a "surgion" too...he likes to cut out things whenever he can and is a vet as well!!...he like to "squatter"( i hope thats the right word) your back if you say without a care if he askes how one is doing..."well..my back hurts sometimes doktor"..
he rushes up and before you know it he turnes your head like 90 degrees...but it helps for a little while..and most of the time i just came to take my bloodpressure...so you see...a man for all illnesses it seems...works together with the undertaker too...
i don`t go for the flueinjection although i am at risk the doctor claimes...age..diabetic..had a stroke...but i am alright up till now without them...never had one..maybe next year! and your bloodpressure is great...like a man in his 30- something...perfect...love the joke...
Have a wonderful Sunday...greetings Francien.
Your jokes are worse than mine! But your blood pressure is better! Don't we all have the same problems as we get older, never mind, eh!
ReplyDeleteLove the coffin joke. As for the appointment card - so long as there's no commission involved. :) Now the thought of that would affect the pounds per square inch.
ReplyDeleteKate
I think I might just drop this unusual word “Hi”.
ReplyDeleteIt’s not really me. I can’t think that I use it in general coversation, so.....
Hellooo Eliza:
Ahhhh, but I am on doctors pills to bring it down. What it would be like if I stopped taking them I have no idea. I just trust him.
Greetings Dumplin:
I couldn’t believe it when I saw that. Perhaps they just didn’t think about it.
I know undertakers have to advertise their dying trade, but not in a doctors waiting room. Bourne Ends health foods shop or even our lovely Greengrocer would have been better.
Goedemorgen lievre Francien,
Our doctor here also likes to cut out things. Like being open on Saturdays!
Actually, he does remove Moles from the middle of your back if you ask nicely. :)
I’m not quite with you on “squatter” I’m afraid. Perhaps you mean ’massage’ you back and neck?
I don’t mind getting the ordinary flu jab. Winter flu is not at all nice. I gave the pig flu jab a miss though as I didn’t feel that it had been tested properly. :(
Sorry to hear about your medical problems. Take care and wrap up warm - as my granny used to say. :)
Hello Ken,
I know my jokes are wore than anybodies but, I have to keep them clean with all these ladies about.
Yes thanks, BP seems to be under control at the moment. I don’t smoke, I am taking lots of exercise, have lost a couple of stone in weight, so the doc, should be pleased on Monday. :)
My only downfall is - I like one or three glasses of Red Wine! :o
Good evening Kate,
We I’m guessing it might be evening ‘down under’?
I can never get used to these times shown under the comments. Is it ’local time’?
Commission! Gosh I never thought of that.
You never know what goes on behind the scenes?
Cheers all..... Bernard
Who needs flu jabs when you've got coffin jokes like that! Loved it!!
ReplyDeleteI think I shall just groan at the coffin joke ;-)
ReplyDeleteI read somewhere that a British study showed that the blood pressure standards that are being foisted onto us by drug manufacturers are totally unreasonable, especially for seniors, and that the drugs they prescribe do far more harm. Just sayin'.
ReplyDeleteEh-up Unc, I just "flue" over to say now I know you Joyce Grenfell is and I loved her in ST Trinians. I think you should do a post on her :D
ReplyDeleteGosh, more comments. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteMolly, Cherie: it wasn't a good joke really. I thought it just fitted in with the undertaker advert. :)
Yes Jan, you are right. I have been reading up on all these unnecessary (or non-essential) pills they pump into us. I take two types of pill - one for blood pressure and a Statin pill for Cholesterol. There are side effects in taking either (or both), but what do we do? Believe the doctors or just trust to luck!
Morning Kath,
I didn't mean to imply that you looked alike.
I though the hair style was similar.
Her Aunt was Lady (Nancy) Astor up at Cliveden and at one time Joyce used to live there in a cottage in the grounds.
I feel a 'post' coming on. :D
We didn't seem to get a flu season Downunder this year. Last year we had a lot of flu around but I know you have to take precautions in the colder climates. When my daughter was working as a physio in Edinburgh at the Royal Infirmary they used to employ a whole lot more physios in the Winter for all the bad chest complaints.
ReplyDeleteThey should just tell more coffin jokes.
Cheers
Helen
Forgive me Helen, I missed you down here.
ReplyDeleteThat's what happens when we are 12 hours apart.
I was asleep when you posted this.....and half asleep not to notice when people leave nice comments.
Cheers.....Bernard