Friday, 3 September 2010

A "History Lesson" (Repeat)

.
I thought I might treat myself to a 'day off' blogging.

So I have dug out the 'History Lesson'
from last year which may be new to some?


September 3rd 1620

In 1620, the Pilgrim Fathers decided to sail off to the New World. They sailed out of Southampton, England on the 3rd of September in two small ships called the “Mayflower“ and the “Speedwell”. It was not long after that the “Speedwell” began to leak and they had to put into Plymouth where it was decided to ‘go it alone’ in the “Mayflower”. She left alone, for the New World three days later.

September 3rd 1728

Mathew Boulton was born in Birmingham.
He was an English manufacturer and business partner of Scottish engineer James Watt. In the final quarter of the 18th century the partnership installed hundreds of Boulton & Watt steam engines , which were a great advance on the state of the art, making possible the mechanisation of factories and mills.
.
.

In 1752 September 3rd did not exist!

In 1751 an Act was passed, which stated that in order to bring England into line with the Continent, the day following the 2nd of September 1752 was to be called the 14th of September.


September 3rd 1802

“Earth has not anything to show more fair;
Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
A sight so touching in its majesty.”

Upon Westminster Bridge - Wordsworth

.
.
September 3rd 1939

Seventy-one years ago today, at 11.15 on a warm Sunday morning, the whole country fell silent to hear the prime minister deliver the most momentous announcement ever broadcast.
That morning, Britain had delivered a final note to Hitler, threatening war unless he agreed before 11 o'clock to withdraw his troops from Poland.
Then, the awful words: 'I have to tell you now that no such undertaking has been received, and that consequently this country is at war with Germany.'

.
.
September 3rd 1942

Slap band in the middle of World War II, this little fellow was born.
He weighed in at an amazing 8lb 3oz and it is interesting to note that the condition of his buttocks was described as ‘satisfactory’.


Well, I have to report that he has put on a few extra pounds,
but I can happily state that after many years of excellent service,
the buttocks are still ’satisfactory’!


PS I hope you don't mind a repeat?
I just couldn't think of anything new!
I'll try harder next year.
.

8 comments:

  1. HaPpY biRthDaY!!! HapPy BirThdAY! have a great day x x x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. !. Happy Birthday,
    2. What a good idea to repeat it as it was very interesting and I was not following then so missed it the first time.
    3. Must continue to surf around people's old posts to see what interesting stuff they have there that I have missed.
    4.Must have a bit of a look around my own blog when I get stuck trying to think what to write about.
    5. Forgot to say I'm amazed about the 3rd September 1752!!
    6. No comment about your buttocks !!( a little too personal for blogland )
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amy.
    Are you having trouble with your keyboard? LOL
    If I remember rightly, you may be having a
    'big 'NN' Birthday coming up sooooooon?
    (Better not mention the real figure). xxxxxx

    Hi Helen,
    Thank you too.
    I'm glad you didn't mind, and yes, you are right, there are loads of posts going back to January 2009. (The early ones were/are on my first blog (Tracker-bar). I got the idea of repeats from Valerie's (mixed bag).
    When you start blogging with no followers or friends, most of those posts go unread. Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! And I hope it's a memorable one.
    As Helsie has pointed out, it's interesting to go back in someone's blog...
    This is the Beatles singing Happy Birthday.
    kate

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glNjsOHiBYs&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Kate, I'm afraid at my age Birthdays all seem the same! :(
    ....and what is worse - they seem to come round all that bit quicker! :(
    I didn't know the Beatles recorded 'Happy Birthday'.
    I do now.....and they said it was rare.
    Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to be a bit late with my wishes for a spectacular birthday.

    ReplyDelete