.
When I mentioned the other day,
that I was a bit stuck for ideas, one or two suggested re-posting
some of my older efforts.
This always seemed to me, cheating a bit -
but
as I am a bit stuck, here's one from last year.
.
.
January Man
Being cooped up in the warm is an ideal opportunity to see just what you have got in those old boxes. It’s a nice job in the warm and as Spring seems some way off I was not in the mood for Spring cleaning, although after removing all the decorations there is certainly a need for it.
I had just read all about ‘de-cluttering’. It said.......
“Declutter! Dejunk! Throw away!”
“Go on! Chuck out all your useless sentimental bits and bobs,
and silly souvenirs.
In this digitalised 21st century,
your home should be shiny, bare and minimalist -
like those shown in television commercials and posh property magazines.“
I actually thought the article is itself, a bit of rubbish!
If there is one thing I can’t stand -
it’s a home that doesn’t look ‘lived in’.
Untidy….no. Lived in……yes.
I’m not untidy. I keep all my bits and pieces in boxes.
Usually labelled.
Boxes of old photos, boxes of old musical instruments awaiting repair,
boxes of old postcards and boxes and boxes of old LPs.
.
.
And there I found my old Folk records from 40 years ago. Yes 1970 this record by Dave Goulder & Liz Dyer. I had previously bought the album ‘Requiem for Steam’ and enjoyed Dave's songs very much so I followed it up with ‘January Man’.
Dave is now 72. His birthday was funnily enough 1st January so perhaps that is where the title comes from?
So should I be throwing all this out?
In fact, according to a new survey carried out by YouGov
and a self-storage company, it may even be bad for us,
leading to all kinds of later regrets.
"Should we really have thrown out that box of postcards?
To most of us, the baggage we collect through life brings with it little jolts of memories.
And when we throw out that baggage,
we're carelessly depriving ourselves of those constant reminders of how we reached this point."
No, we need to save something.
My Aunt she died a month ago,
And left me all her riches.
A feather bed, a wooden leg,
And a pair of calico britches.
A coffee pot without a spout,
A mug without a handle,
A baccy box without a lid,
And half a farthing candle.
Is there anything sadder than going into the bedroom of an old person confined to a care home and who now has space for little more than a few photographs?
Well, I have lots of boxes of photographs. Some going back nearly 100 years.
There are quite a few with faces that I do not recognise and I'm sure future generations would not know who any of the people photographed were. So,I have been going through them, writing names on the back and I have decided to try and link all this together for my family, especially the younger ones with a few recollections of those early days.
My new blog project is here.
.

About all I will leave will be an old Rover, a used laptop and a pile of bills Bernard.
ReplyDeleteAlready done the old pics thing and traced my illustrious family back to the 7th century-some interesting people-a couple of Popes, a Saint and a King of France-honest:)
There are few old photos of our family, which I think is a terrible shame, good for you Unc, that you are making sense of them all for future family members. Makes me realise I should be printing photos off and not leaving them in the laptop, where they might be lost forever.
ReplyDeleteHi Bernard, my Mum of 90 lives with us full time and a younger relative came to visit recently,he has done the family tree and on his journey was given a many photos,they had a lovely time with Mum as she named all the people in them and they were written on the back,she is the only living one in the family that had that knowledge, your bits and bobs are priceless Bernard and your sorting of pics is the best gift you could give to your family.
ReplyDeleteI think it is a great idea to name all the photos and get some sort of family history down so future generations can trace where they come from. Writing memories down is a great way of preserving knowledge of history. We should all be talking to and recording these conversations with the older members of our families
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen.
Our ancestors had a bad habit of not naming people in photos - after all, they knew who they were, didn't they? But I have hardly any photos of my paternal side and no Victorian ones from my mum's side - I think she destroyed some before she died. Helsie says to talk to the older members of the family - I AM the older member...
ReplyDeleteHaven't done any family history writing for some years, should go back to it again before it's too late. There's a helpful book by Michael Oke called Times of our Lives which gives so many ideas you need never stop writing.
Kath's right about not leaving pics in the computer but printing them out, younger members (like the late 40 and 50 year olds) have memories revived of their young days - do you remember when?
I've collected dozens of Stone people photos, lent by the owners for me to copy, so they are saved in a collection, at least.
But what gets thrown away as rubbish when people die or go into residential care?
And a ‘hole in the photosphere’ that will be very hard to fill. Angus. :)
ReplyDeleteYou are just the chap I need to help me then. How do I get started?
Morning Kath,
My Grandfather was a chemist and did photographic developing and printing.
My dad was also keen on photography and our family is left with hundreds if not thousands.
I have my photos backed up on memory sticks (they last 10 years) but you are right, prints are the best option. :D
Hi Carole,
That is exactly the thing everyone should do. We have photos from ‘before my time’ and I have no idea who is in the picture. I never thought to ask my Gran, as I was still a teenager then and I suppose not interested in family history.
I have done a ‘short’ family tree but not yet gone back beyond Great grandfathers.
Hello Helen,
It was very sad about Kate. She will be very much missed here.
The "writing it down" is not as easy as I thought when I started. I should have done it all on paper first and then I could have edited into the proper order.
Blogging it gets bits missed out and out of sequence. :(
Ah, well.
As I’ve started now, I may as well press on.
Good morning Sylve,
You are right. They, and all the family knew. However, my Mother did write on the back of all photos of my brothers and I. Name and date. :)
It is the older pictures that I am stuck at.
Me too! I am the older member also. :O
I believe local history societies will take all old photographs into their care. I matters not who the people are, as they study the area, the clothes etc. so there should be no need for families to throw all this away. I have, on occasion, met some people who want no link with the past. Strange folk.
Cheers all…….Bernard.
That is such a great blog project. I have done some family history research and it is always frustrating when the photos don't have names against them.
ReplyDeleteComplicated question Barnard the searcher.
ReplyDeleteI started just by Googling my "unusual" surname, but there are a plethora of info sites out there.
You could try:
http://www.myheritage.com/family-tree-builder
for the software and:
http://www.your-family-history.com/
for the hard bit.
There is of course http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_190456
Or http://www.exploregenealogy.co.uk/
Hope that helps:)
Thanks Cherie,
ReplyDeleteEarly days yet, but I've always thought of putting some memories to paper for future generations. I would have loved to have read my great grandparents writings.
Hi Angus,
My fingers were all over the place yesterday.
Must remember to "engage brain before using fingers!" That should have read "Blogosphere" not photosphere!.
Anyway thanks for all that info. I will make a start. Cheers.
It's a difficult one. Sometimes I feel I would need another house if I kept lots more stuff because I do like uncluttered rooms (but 'clutter' is all relative). So it's hard deciding what to keep and what to chuck.
ReplyDeleteIs that a fife there, in front of the banjos?
Hi Foody,
ReplyDeleteI'm having a big 'clear out' at the moment.
Anything I haven't used/required (old bits of wood) are getting the 'chop', so to speak!
Books are going to the charity shop - I need the space.
That is an old Piccalo. It is one that was used in Marching Bands. (ie Northern Ireland)