.
.
On Saturday Jan enquired about the Thames.
“I find it amazing that there are houses so close to the river.
Is the river so well controlled then, that it never floods?”.
Well it does flood Jan, but not as much these days as it used to.
We now have quite a few ‘Flood relief schemes’ in place.
Houses, large and small still are built right alongside the water's edge.
.

.
As here at Marlow. (photo Graham Horn)
As an aside, I took those 'Sunset' photos of Marlow Bridge,
from that jetty on the left - where that man is standing.
.
.
Small houses with long gardens down to the river.
Before the flood relief schemes, thing were different.
This was at Boulters Lock in 1903.
.

.
I was amused to see that fellow fishing.
Obviously keen!
.

.
Maidenhead 1928.
.
.
Cock Marsh flood plain, from Winter Hill.
Here at Bourne End we have Cock Marsh which would be flooded first before the houses on this side of the river.
They are not supposed to build homes on flood plains but in some parts of the country this has been ignored. (as far as I know, not along the Thames).
.
.
Looking back towards Winter Hill,
you can see the height of the marsh is only just above river level.
Below is a Stanley Spencer painting of Cookham marsh,
which when flooded can be crossed by the causeway shown below.
.

.
The old river itself is usually quite tame.
It ambles for 215 miles across southern England from west to east.
It is navigable right up to Lechlade, a 124 mile stretch from the lock at Teddington, (London). Over this huge length it only drops 69 metres, so you see, rather than rushing, it just “keeps rolling along, down to the mighty sea”.
Its flow is scientifically regulated by means of reservoirs and weirs;
there are 44 weir systems along this 124 mile section, and of course 44 locks.
.

.
If the river level rises, the lock keepers can hold the water back to safely flood selected area or open sluice gates to allow the water down to the next section.
It is like a 124 mile cascade with water overflowing from one section to the next.
I can remember 'high waters' at Bourne End'
but nothing like the picture shown below.
.

.
Floods at Bourne End. (photo Tim Harrison)
You can see how poor old Cock Marsh gets to take the excess water,
and protects Bourne End on the opposite bank.
I found an old black & white newsreel film here,
but it wasn't possible to embed it in the blog.
It is of flooding in Bourne End & Cookham.
(Note to Foody - there is no sound and it contains both ponies and chickens! )
.

Bernard that was a great post I loved it,I found it so intersting and when i was over there I just wanted to be around the canals all the time,I was fascinated by them,I did not get to go on a canal boat but my friends relative lived at Monton in MAnchester and a canal was at her back door,i spent ages just watching and waving to the canal boaters,I have promised myself if I get back there I am going on a canal ride.
ReplyDeleteHi Carole,
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you liked it.
I actually thought it was a wee bit on the long side. I've only once taken a boat on a canal holiday - enjoyed it very much.
Here's an interesting blog if you haven't already seen it.
http://diaryofaboatwoman.blogspot.com/
There is a link under my blogroll.
I'd love a boat of my own. :)
Well we know the dangers of living by a river here in Brisbane. All those big expensive homes with their jetties don't look so glamorous at the moment and most of the jetties have been washed away. We only have one very big dam to hold the floods back and when we have a huge amount of rain as we did recently nothing can stop it.
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to exploring the Chiltern hills and we've just booked a tour of the WWII bunker at Uxbridge which Tony is very excited about.
Cheers
Helen
Hi Helen,
ReplyDeleteI've been reading about your dam being too full?
I heard they were trying to conserve water levels in case of drought but kept it too full.
I think had the water level been lower, that heavy rain may have been accommodated safely?
I bet you have been enjoying all this searching around for places to go? I'm not much into war relics I'm afraid, so haven't visited that one at Uxbridge.
Cheers.....Bernard
Brilliant photos Bernard. We've had a bit of flooding around here as well, though it's getting back to normal again. I like the idea of the locks and weir systems!
ReplyDeleteGood evening Uncle.B., first of all i sure do understand that you not always can comment on my "friemeltjes" most of them are " old girly" things...but i am always proud if you do once in a while...i am always here on your blogs too.. love your video`s...talks about music and the instruments..i think you have the most wonderful collection from what i have seen here and as in this post i love the pictures ( not somuch the high waterlevels) but the explanatons beneeth it...i think you live in a absolute beautyful country...
ReplyDeleteI went to see the "tatting"..it looks great but complicated....never tried it...she has a nice blog.. i am going back to read some of her stories...take care
groetjes Francien
Super blog as always. For no real reason it reminded me of our visit to Esher two years ago. God, isn't the south different in so many ways!
ReplyDeleteMorning Molly,
ReplyDeleteGlad you liked them. :)
Of course they are not all mine.
I'm off to look at a map to see where your stream finally ends up? I love maps and studying the routes that rivers take.
Good morning Francien:
Thank you for understanding me. Of course I find all of your creations very clever and very attractive. I am pleased you find my blogging entertaining and I hope interesting.
The counrtyside here is very attractive, the only draw-back is that there are too many cars and too many people.
Cheers.....Bernard
Hi Ken,
Yes the south is different. But that is a good thing. "Variety is the spice of life". Mind you, I do really prefer the countryside to the south-west best of all. As far from London as I can get!
Bernard, my Mum used to sledge down Winter Hill on a tin tray when she was a child, pre WW1....
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to see the ponies and chickens were on dry land. Terrible for the people in the houses.
ReplyDeleteThank you Uncle B for answering my question. That last photo is what it looks like around here in just a moderate flood year. That's why I'm always on edge from November through March. I can't imagine what the Central Valley would do with as much rain as Australia and some other parts of the world have had this year. I hope we don't have to find out. I love the old pictures of people out on the flooded roads. When I was a kid, the main road through our area would flood a couple of times a year and everyone had to go drive through it. The cars in those days would handle it. Our new cars would be dead in the middle of the water.
ReplyDeleteSylve:
ReplyDeleteWinter Hill's a bit on the steep side! :o
It would OK to slide down on the grass, but on snow - you'd get up a hell of a speed.
Mind you, children had 'real' fun in those days. (No Elf 'n safety)!
Hi Foody:
I would have posted the link if they weren't on dry land. :)
Morning Jan:
Thank you, for the idea for a write-up. :)
I like it when people give an idea as I'm always getting stuck.
The old cars were much higher off the ground with all the electrics out of the way.
That B&W photo at Maidenhead shows the 10" deep water only up to the cars axle.
Here's to hoping you stay dry. :)
Lovely photos, I don't think I would like to live that close to the water even though it looks pretty.
ReplyDeleteHi Cherie:
ReplyDeleteI could live near a small, quiet river or stream.
I love the sound of 'running water'. :)
The Thames is a bit too busy these days.
Lovely photos of my old haunts Uncle B. The bridge on Cookham Marsh, was where I sat on my (last) horse for the first time. I had owned her since she was a foal, you see and used to walk her over that bridge most days.Later we would ride up to the Dean and through the woods where I loved to look down from Winter hill, towards Marlow and Bourne End, when the fields were flooded below.
ReplyDeleteHi Kath,
ReplyDeleteI guess that must have been when you lived in Maidenhead then? When I drive up the lanes to Winter Hill view spot, I nearly always have to pull over for pony riders to pass. There must be riding schools up't top, as most of the girls look very young. Not a boys thing, is it! :D
I am planning a post on Cookham and Spencer.
Cheers.....Bernard. xx
Yes, we also lived in Cookham Rise for a couple of years. There are certainly many horses kept in Cookham and Pinkneys green. There used to be a little riding school facing the green, near Golden Ball lane. The farm at Canon court offered stables for rent too. I have a postcard somewhere of the bridleway which Stanley Spencer painted, looking from Spring lane/Long lane down towards the farm in question. Lots of poppies I seem to remember.
ReplyDelete