.
Some of my regulars will know Tuesday is
Market Day in Thame.
.
.
And as the girls on the cake stall knew this,
they had plenty of Home-made Carrot Cake for me.
.
.
And on the right of the picture for foodies,
there were little nests with Easter eggs.
You get very strange signs in Thame.
.
.
This was one of many.
No idea what it was all about.
A "Happy Sausage Hour" perhaps?
And then .....
.

.
....on her way to the Farmers Market.
.

.
Yes, it was the second Tuesday of the month;
There was, in addition to the normal market,
all those lovely farmers stalls.
Here's one.
.
.
I don't think she was going here!
.
.
Or here!
Then on down down Greyhound Walk to Waitrose,
to get a sandwich for lunch, I passed an Italian deli.
.
.
Rainbow pasta twirls! Whatever next?
- o -
Now just last year Tesco started labelling their 'English butter',
as British butter!
It's true! But why a change? (eu I bet?)
"Ten out of ten" then to Waitrose,
for identifying all their English cheeses correctly,
and with a little English flag.
Just look at the selection!
.
.
Creamy Lancashire, Belton Cheshire,
Cropwell Bishop Blue Stilton, Yorkshire Blue,
Hawe's Traditional Wensleydale and
Godsell's Single Gloucester.
I like the name of that last one!
.
.
Cornish Yarg with and without the dreaded garlic!
Llawnroc Cornish Brie and
Dutchy Trevarrian Cornish Blue.
.
.
Somerset Brie and Olde York Ewe's,
to name just a few.
I didn't treat myself;
I just ended up with a cheese sandwich,
and a bag of Kettle chips!
.

You're making me feel hungry! I got my small white uncut loaf from the - is it called Baker's Basket? -stall, strong cheese in Waitrose and that grease which masquerades as not-quite-butter.
ReplyDeleteHave you noticed that we are allowed to call ourselves 'English' in the 2011 Census? Not before time! I won't have to cross out British this year...
I love the lady on the ostrich!!
ReplyDeleteOOH! I love cheese. Which to try first? One a week in alphabetical order, I think.
ReplyDeleteI would so love to ride an ostrich. Unfortunately, to carry me the bird would have to be so large it would eat dogs for breakfast and terrorize humans, sheep and cattle. We have a couple of English cheeses in our little store here, I'll pay more attention to what kind they are. I think one is a Stilton. The main question here would be what kind of wine do you drink with those weird cheeses? The answer is, if you drink enough it makes no difference.
ReplyDeleteHello Bernard, I envied your market, farmers markets are just becoming fashionable here,by here I mean up in the bush away from the city,they have always had them,now we are just starting to get them within travelling distance.The one big difference I noticed is your ladies cake stall,we are no longer by law allowed to sell cakes etc like that..it has spoilt it for everyone, some yuppy health official was bored one day and decided every single ingredient had to be named,cakes,slices,scones etc wrapped or in those pesky little plastic holders,all food kept at a certain temp,the list goes on, it has gotten so bad cake stalls are almost non exsistant,for those not able to cook their own it is sad,also just plain bloody silly!sorry)
ReplyDeleteLove the look of those markets. Hope we can get there on the right day. The cheeses especially look great and we love trying them though Tony is a bit whimpy with cheese and doesn't like the strong ones or more disappointingly the blue ones that I love.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait for our holiday. Not long now.
Cheers
Helsie from Tony's computer !!
I didn't know you had so many different English cheese. I'm partial to French Camembert, but I certainly would love trying your Brie if I would find some. I've written names down and I'll ask, next time at the Market. Lovely illustrations, as always. Cheers!
ReplyDeleteMorning Sylve:
ReplyDeleteI must admit that I gave up butter years ago. The doctor put me on a low-fat diet. He did say I could and should enjoy a bit of cheese in moderation.
I have now got used to plain bread or crisp breads with cheese.
A little chutney helps!
Hi Kath: I have never fancied eating ostrich.
Have you ever tried it? :D
So do I Doohie, but I have to watch my cholesterol levels. :(
Hi Jan:
Are they safe to ride I wonder? I have always seen them running at terrific speeds!
Only two English cheeses. You are missing out. As you say one is Stilton and the other probably Cheddar. Although we hear of ‘Cheese & Wine’ parties, I have read that wine will spoil the taste of good cheese, and cheese will spoil the taste of good wine!
Here is a link to Stilton -
www.stiltoncheese.com/using_stilton/wines/20
Cheers - Good Health. :)
Hi Carole,
What I like about farmer’s markets, is they offer you small samples and tasters. :)
What I don’t like about farmer’s markets, is the price of everything is a bit too much for a poor olde pensioner! :(
We have a rule that says fish, meat and cheeses have to be kept on refrigeration. This means we have wee generators buzzing away at markets.
They have not introduced rules on cakes and bread though. Thankfully - yet!
Morning Helen/Tony,
I thought of you as I went round Thame on Tuesday. It was a lovely sunny day.
The cheeses were in Waitrose (supermarket) although there is sometimes a man in the market. I love the strongest, bluest and preferably, the smelliest cheeses! :o
Hello Claude:
Oh yes, we have hundreds here. They seem to keep bringing out new ones, but they needn’t really. The old traditional cheeses are always best. Our Somerset brie is very popular, but not quite as good as the real French version. Camembert is another cheese I enjoy and also Gorgonzola from Italy.
Oh, my God! Carrot cake. I rarely can pass it up. I can smell it right through the computer. I love small British towns and villages; would love to make the trip again. Last time we came upon a parade. We parked the car and joined the crowd just as Lady Godiva came thru on her horse. She looked nude, but alas, it was just a nude body suit. My hubby loved it anyway!
ReplyDeleteI love a trip to the market. Happy Sausage day to you too Bernard. With the crippling price of fuel Ostrich travel is a fantastic idea!
ReplyDeleteNo I have not tried Ostrich, Uncle B, but I love the way you find these unusual pictures.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Molly, I fancy a pair of Ostrichs pulling a trap. One of the Rothchilds had a pair of zebras who pulled a carriage round the estate at Waddesdon (before my time of course!).
What a delightful collection of cheeses :-)
ReplyDeleteThey are lots of stalls selling Ostrich in the middle of Birmingham at the moment.
Hi Myrna.
ReplyDelete“I can smell it right through the computer.”
I’m sure this is - sort of true. :o
I often imagine the taste of goodies when I see them on the web.
Lady Godiva. Ah, that would be Banbury, just up the road from Thame.
Thanks Molly,
I don’t know if it was ‘Sausage Day’. I know they have a “British Sausage Week” but I think that has passed. A dog-cart sounds a good idea. I’m a bit worried about the speeds the ostrich can get up to. :o
No. Nor me Kath.
I don’t like the idea of bringing all these unusual creatures to our ‘green and pleasant land’ and then……
…..eating them! :(
I have loads more photos ‘up my sleeve’ - just for you. :)
Waitrose, CherryPie.
Not that I do a lot of shopping in Waitrose, but it is good for those times when you need a treat. :)
MMMMM!!! LOvely foody pics. I missed this post because I was away but I'm catching up now.
ReplyDeleteI spotted the little nests. I fancy the chocolatey things myself.
Sausage o'clock? Maybe you should have gone in and seen what it was all about.
Well I am glad they are not just shoving Union Jacks on those English cheeses. They look delightful. I can even smell them!
Foody pics especially for you. :)
ReplyDelete