.
This is not the post I was thinking of doing next.......
but, I sometimes get sidetracked.
Some years ago I worked for a small local company who used to collect data on all types of world commodities. Prices, production and things like that.
This meant I used to wade through pages and pages from magazines like Meat Trades Journal, The Grocer and Poultry World. I also had to go up to the British Library near St Pancras once a month to get data from magazines that the firm didn't subscribe to.
(eg. Cost of Alfalfa in California)
They say "Old habits die hard" and in my case this is true.
I still have links to some of these publications on my 'favourites' menu.
So this morning I was reading Farmers Weekly and found this.
.

.
This is a "Churkey"!
Now as I had a picture of a 'naked necked' chicken on my last post,
I though you might like to know a bit more?
"Researchers at the University of Edinburgh have discovered the physical reasons behind the strange appearance of the Transylvanian naked-neck chicken, know as a Churkey or a Turken because of its resemblance to a turkey.
After collecting and analysing DNA samples from birds in Mexico, France and Hungary, the scientists identified a complex genetic mutation which causes the skin on the birds to neck to produce a vitamin A-derived protein, inhibiting feather growth.
Transylvanian naked necks are believed to have come from the north of Romania and have been around for hundreds of years, being introduced to Britain only in the 1920s."
Source - Farmers Weekly
.

It looks weird and quite exotic. I wonder if churkey tastes like churkey. I wonder what sort of noise it makes. Gobble-cluck-a-doodle-gob!
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts exactly- Foody says it all :-D
ReplyDeleteOh my Lord! How funny, the ha-ha kind and the odd kind of funny. A chicken by any other name....is still a chicken!
ReplyDeleteIt's been around for 90 years in Britain - where???
ReplyDeleteThey developed naked necks in Transylvania so it would be easier to suck their blood. (snicker) Actually, the bird has fewer feathers all over its body, though no other naked spots, and that makes it easier to pluck. You wouldn't want to raise them in places that get very cold in the winter.
ReplyDeleteWell,well I have never heard of these either,between you and Cro I am learning more each day.
ReplyDeleteThank you everyone for leaving lovely comments.
ReplyDeleteNow had it been 'April the First', you would have thought I was 'having you on'!
It was new to me also. Last year there was an article in one of the papers which showed pictures of unusual breeds of chickens.
Amazing pictures.
My gast was flabbered!
If you enjoy the 'unusual' I shall have to keep my eye open for more snippets.
Sun is shining, birds are tweeting, I should really be making a start on the garden, BUT
I have been working on a new set of organ pipes (13), so will be off out into the workshop instead.
I will post progress up on "Bernard's other Blog (TB).
Cheers all.....Bernard.
Make the most of the sun - there's more rain on the way. :(
What a strange looking bird! Fascinating information :-)
ReplyDeleteHow do you fancy one for Christmas Dinner
ReplyDeletethen Cherie? :)
Interesting and tongue in cheek humerous....thanks for a morning chuckle!
ReplyDeleteGood morning Donna,
ReplyDeleteGlad I could raise a chuckle for you. :)
I'm always fascinated as to how people come across my little blog, from all those hundreds of thousands?
I guess it might have been from dear old Molly?
Cheers...Bernard