Thursday, 7 April 2011

Getting a bit behind.

.
"You've gone quiet" a friend remarked.

Well, I've been busy doing other things,
like making new organ pipes ready for this years shows.

The garden is growing like crazy
and there is loads of dead bits from last years plants to cut back.
I always leave these dead seed heads,
as they provide food for the birds during the Winter.

So today, a quick and easy post for me.
Lots of pictures and not much to research and type.

Sunday, found me, yet again in Great Missenden.
.
.
Up Church Lane to....
.
.
.......that lovely churchyard.

Now, in February this area is a mass of Snowdrops.
I blogged about them here last year.
.
.
But now, in April, a totally different scene.
Primroses and Celandines

Before the hawthorn leaves unfold,
Or buttercups put forth their gold,
By every sunny footpath shine
The stars of Lesser Celandine.

and here below, Wood Anemonies.
.
.
The Winter's long sleeping,
Like night-time, is done;
But day-stars are leaping
To welcome the sun.

Star-like they sprinkle
The wildwood with light;
Countless, they twinkle -
The Windflowers white!

("Windflower" is another name for Wood Anemone)

All up the side of the path
were these tiny Violets
.
.
Sorry, not a very good pic!

And here a plant that I had to look up.

I think it is Spring Squill.
.
.
I must admit, I not a 'flora' person
.
.
Am I right?

A lovely afternoon, but had to get back to feed the cats.

Stopped in Missenden High St. for petrol.
.
.

What's this "Out of Fuel"
.
.
Needs a closer look.
.
.
"Sorry.....
OUT
of FUEL.
.....ever since
8 gallons
cost over a £1.

"Pump attendant went to lunch.
Mechanic got too old to repair.
Neither left a mobile number"

I remember those days.

Half a Crown a gallon - Two shillings & six pence!
(in horrid new money - 12.5p a gallon)

And what is it now?
New pence and bloody Litres!
.

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Burnard,loved the little tour thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The churchyard looks so peaceful - can you imagine HS2 roaring through here...?
    My 1928 Bucks guidebook says that Captain Thomas Backhouse died in Missenden in 1800. He had always said he wouldn't lie in the churchyard so built himself a pyramidal tomb in his own wood 'on the hill' where he remained for 7 years. One of his sons, returned from abroad, removed his father's coffin to the churchyard. Do you fancy looking for it at some time, Bernard??
    I remember petrol at 4/3d a gallon when I started driving about 1964 when I paid in real money, not the Monopoly rubbish we have now...I'm glad someone had the foresight to rescue the petrol pumps - more social history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have fond memories of that churchyard, my friend Simon broke his leg there one winter and we had to carry him home LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. You haven't been peeking through office windows have you Bernard the pipe carver:)

    Nice pics though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was such a lovely Spring walk. It's very early for bluebells, but they do look very much like them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely walk. Can't wait to visit there myself.
    Petrol has skyrocketed here at the moment - $1.50 a litre ! and with the large distances we travel that means at least $50 a week in petrol costs.
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see a 'rest a while we me' bench in one of those photos.

    Watch out for me there ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful flowers. It's a great time of year. How are your knees for bending down? Cos primroses have an exquisite scent.
    I have seen spring squill once so am not qualified to say if these are they or not.
    What did I hear about Great Missenden recently? Was somebody famous born there, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Morning Carole, I’m sorry there were only pictures as I like to include a bit more history etc. :)

    It always looks very peaceful Sylve, but unfortunately the local ‘ton-up’ boys roar up and down those straight roads between Amersham and Wendover making a terrible racket. A huge number of the very olde stones have been removed for safety. Round the back of the church they have been used as a retaining ‘wall’ to hold back the ground. I will take a look but a lot are badly weathered and difficult to read.

    Kath,
    “Fond memories” ? A broken leg!! :O
    Very painful memories I reckon - Poor Simon! LOL

    Hi Angus:
    Me? A pipe carver?
    I conjured up a vision of me sitting in the woods hacking away at a Briar to get a pipe for a quick smoke!
    Talking of office windows - most of the old shops in our villages are now converted into offices for solicitors, IT consultants etc. Not worth a peep (except maybe in Amersham) and ‘that office’ is upstairs over the Post Office. I failed..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morning Molly,
    This, I’m afraid, was just a quick pictorial post to save time. When its nice weather I need to be out in the garden catching up on all those jobs.
    Not a Bluebell Molly. It only had one little flower on each stem. :)

    Hi Helen,
    That bench is just waiting for you. :)
    I don’t think about petrol prices anymore. I mean, what can you do?
    It is a shame to stay at home all the time. No, I cut back on other things and enjoy my days out in the countryside.

    As I get older Cherie, I find I need rather more of these benches. I noticed on Thursday at Cliveden NT, that this year they have provided far more seats and benches in the grounds. Very welcome.
    They opened the new maze yesterday and the Long Garden looks stunning. Will blog about it later.

    Morning Foody.
    Knees are alright thanks, but the wet grass leaves two dark patches on my trousers!
    If Missenden was in the news, it was probably something to do with Roald Dahl maybe? It is also in the news because the HS2 high speed train is planned to go right through that area, right passed that Church. :( and :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I, too, grow tired of the computer at times...busy living. You are right, there is so much to DO!
    Your flower pictures are wonderful...Ours are starting to come up and that makes me happy. Yes, all the spring clean-up will keep me hopping this time of the year!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess it depends on why we were in the churchyard in the first place hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Donna,
    In this lovely weather, and especially in the Spring, it is a shame to be indoors. I enjoy blogging, but more so in the cold wet Winters.
    I shall pop over to Ohio and take a peek into your garden. :)

    Kath. Tut-tut!
    "Ask no questions, hear no lies:
    Every seen a Chinaman doing up his ....?" :)

    ReplyDelete