.
On Saturday I 'crossed the water' into Berkshire.
To Cookham to be precise, to meet up with a couple of
Vintage car owning mates.
There was a local get-together at the local cricket field.
.
.
This red one is a Sunbeam, belonging to Howard,
and the one to the right is
Chris's Wolseley 18.
As we stood reminiscing and generally moaning
about the eu and all the regulations that make life hard,
look what glided passed and parked up in that space.
.
.
Absolutely immaculate.
.
.
Memories flooded back.
Dad's first car was an Armstrong, and
on returning home I dug out a few of the old photos I had.
I was hoping to find the one of Dad and I at Welshpool.
We (the Armstrong actually) were towing the caravan
to Towyn in Merionethshire, mid-Wales.
I couldn't find a print, so I guess it's
still in the box of negatives.
So here is a couple of prints of our old motor.
.

.
We used to get the back seat out and put it on the ground
to sit on.
L to R. - Pop, me, Colin, Mom, Adrian & Nan.
.

.
This must have been one of my very first
attempts at photography.
I was only seven then, and somehow managed to
not cut anyones 'head orf'.
What a lovely shiny car. Dad loved tinkering with it.
and polishing the sphinx!
All Armstrongs had a sphinx mascot out on the front.
.
.
This is the one on the car at Cookham.
"Armstrong Siddeley’s famous Sphinx mascot: John Davenport Siddeley first used the upright Sphinx mascot in advertisements for the Siddeley Deasy car made before the First World War. Armstrong Siddeley adopted the Sphinx when they started production in 1919 and continued until they made their last car in 1960. The Sphinx changed over the years – lay down in the 1930s and was streamlined in the 1950s."
Now when our faithful Armstrong was exchanged for a Daimler,
we kept the mascot.
I had it on the front of my Tandem for many years.
Where it is now, I know not.
It is one of many things I failed to keep when I left home.
Ian may know?
.

.
A wee picture. It is on a bracket on the front forks.
Not only Dad had a liking for Armstrong's,
but also dear Aunty Gladys (dad's sister).
.

.
This looks like a 1947 Armstrong 'Hurricane',
but I'm not sure.
So, on Saturday, I had a good day out with the lads.
As I said earlier, lots of moans about all this 'Elf 'n Safety rubbish
and Public Liability Insurance.
It does you good to get it 'off your chest'.
I see David the Cameroon has finally noticed how
people are getting pissed off with all these restrictions
on proposed Street Parties.
"David Cameron will today criticise councils for using red tape to prevent residents from holding street parties to celebrate the royal wedding.
Some local authorities have demanded that events have insurance cover and have charged for road closures, or demanded hosts adhere to strict health and safety rules. Mr Cameron is expected to “debunk” the myths surrounding street party rules.
A party in Rochester was cancelled after organisers were told they would have to take out £5million worth of public liability"
What is all the fuss about?
I have had to insure my "extremely dangerous" organ
before I can play at public events.
I mean - the bellows may explode and kill dozens of bystanders.
(it works on "high pressure air" at 4" water gauge)
.
.
My £5,000,000 cover certificate for this year.
And the annual premium?
Wait for it!
£1.50
Because there is absolutely no risk,
the insurance company simply charge for admin & postage.
I had to write a cheque for £1.50.
Regulations (eu) make you want to weep.
.

So much fun to see the cars, Bernard, and go down memory lane with you! Old cars had a style and grace unlike today's. I remember my grandfathers car and we, too, used to take the seat out. He would fill it with eggs to deliver and there was plenty of room for us grandkids to ride too. We loved it and nicknamed it "the grey bomb". My mother used to tell a story about she and her parents being dressed all in white, going to church on a Sunday. They had a convertible and stopped on the way home to buy strawberries at a stand continuing on their way. Taking a close turn, the car overturned and passerbys stopped to help, thinking that the straw berries all over their clothing was blood! I think those old cars were not as stable as ours today are, which may be the tradeoff for their style and grace!
ReplyDeleteAs for all the regulations for the organ...good luck!
What lovely photos. I love Aunty Glad's hat, how stylish she looks. It's a shame that ladies don't wear hats any more, it used to be that they wouldn't dream of leaving the house without both hat and gloves.
ReplyDeleteAunty Gladys has got a propeller on her head!
ReplyDeleteGood for you, Bernard. Have a good old moan. I love a really good whingey, grizzly, angry moan! Yeah, what harm can a few trestle tables and sticky buns do anyone? I suppose if somebody got drunk and fell on a table it could flip up and the cakes could go up in the air and land on people and then they might feel they had to go to the hairdressers to have the mess cleaned up, or have to buy a new sunhat or something cos cream stuck in the straw weave would would forever attract seagulls to their heads. Easily £5m per party. Actually I've just about convinced myself that the 'Elf and Safety mob are quite right! Oops!
Marvellous cars - to think they've been cherished through all the decades of 'Must buy the latest model' and survived the war as well. No car in the family when I was a child, my first one was a very 2nd hand Ford Prefect in c. 1965.
ReplyDeleteStreet parties - petty bureaucrats throwing their weight around, as usual.
A grand day out by the sound of it Bernard the Vintage, great pics and even greater motors, makes you feel young again:)
ReplyDeleteI love the sphinx..That really looks neat on the hood. And the insurance policy...what a lot of "well, you know"! However, I have heard about those dangerous bellows and the likelihood of an explosion..(lol).Here in the USA packages have every imaginable warning on them to keep you from doing things with them that nobody would even consider. It's so that the company won't be sued. Crazy world except for the beautiful cars you had a chance to see. Keep some sanity please!
ReplyDeleteThat looks like a fun day out. I love the prints of you old motor, cars used to have such a lot of character didn't they? :-)
ReplyDeleteMorning Donna,
ReplyDeleteThere is a strange coincidence there in you comment. Our car in those pictures was also a grey one AND the registration was BOM 365.
So another grey bom?
What an interesting story, I never know whether we should laugh at accidents, but I guess it’s OK after the event when you know no one is badly hurt. The old cars were quite a way off the ground. A tad unstable I guess.
Hi Kath,
Aunty G used to work for Bentalls in Kingston -on-Thames, as a buyer. She always looked very smart. After the war, she sent Mom parcels of clothes for us boys.
Mom was pleased,
us boy were not!
We wanted toys!
Foody, it’s a posh hat from Bentalls, although it would probably behave like a propeller if the wind got up. He,he.
The real question about this cover for accidents, is years ago nobody expected compensation for everything. Someone spills red wine on a new frock - they expect a new frock. We now have “compensation culture” gone mad. Compensation in serious cases - yes. Things have now become so trivial - like parents suing the school when their son falls over playing football in the playground. What has the school done? Yes, banned football. See - I’m having another whingey! (lovely word that.)
Morning Sylve,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your email, I get back to you when I’ve got a minute.
In those days, people kept cars for tens of years. There was the old saying “If it aint broke, don’t fix it.”
I think over time, my Dad must have replaced nearly every part on that car in order to keep it on the road. Of course, there was no such thing as an MOTs in those days.
That helped.
Hi Angus,
It was only a local get together of a Historic Vehicle club, but it was local and free!
How could I not go? A lot of heavy goods vehicles thought, but all very interesting and a chance to catch up on news.
Hello ILMD&MM (Lizzie?)
Years ago nearly every make of car had a mascot on the front. Those people that didn’t, went out and bought one. I once had a Morgan with a flying stork mascot on the front. Girls would joke that they didn’t want a ride - as the stork symbolised “a baby on the way”!!!!!!
I still have it, I must dig it out.
I know what you mean about labels. I bought a packet of “Nuts & Raisins” the other day.
It stated “Warning - This product may contain nuts.”
Hi Cherie,
Very true. Cars had character in those days, and people gave them names, didn’t they.
Brilliant photos of all those cars, Bernard glad you had a good day out! If you come across that old photo of you and your Dad in Welshpool - would love to see it! ps - I think bureaucracy has gone bonkers too!
ReplyDeleteLooks like a nice day out and the weather seems to be holding too. All this public liability stuff is crazy isn't it? I blame it all on the courts - if they didn't pay these silly claims we might put an end to all this silliness!!!
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen
Good morning Molly,
ReplyDeleteThere were dozens of cars, lorries, tractors and trucks, but I only photographed a few.
I have found pictures of Dad, the caravan and I on arrival at Towyn on the site, but not yet located the ones we took on the journey.
I will continue searching. :)
Hi Helen,
The Spring here is delightful. A shower or two, now and again, but nothing to worry about. You are right, it is all driven by claims and compensation. A 'blame' game!