.
"Eileen, achara, I hear someone tapping."
"Tis the ivy, dear mother, against the glass flapping."
"Eily, I surely hear somebody sighing,"
"Tis the sound, mother dear, of the summer wind dying."
These are some words from a lovely Irish song called
the Spinning Wheel.
Eileen's mother was blind therefore not knowing that her
daughter's lover was outside tapping on the window.
I had a tapping on the window yesterday!
.
.
It is usually Wesley,
squeaking his wet paws up and down the glass.
Five o'clock - "Where's my breakfast?"
So fed the cats.
.
.
Made myself a coffee,
Checked that the garden was still there.
.
.
And thought. hey ho!
What shall I blog about today?
I've loads of bits about 'this and that' ,
but not enough 'meat' to justify a post all to itself.
So today is a mixed bag, until I get myself sorted.
I've been busy building these new pipes for the organ.
Here they are in situ, ready to be voiced and tuned.
.
.
I did a write up on the construction,
over on Tracker-bar.blogspot.
It has kept me busy, but I still just about
found time to get up to Cliveden to see how the Tulips are coming on.
Last year they planted up the Long Garden with thousands.
It took me three visits to to catch them in flower.
But this year, a change.
Still thousands, but now blue Hyacinths.
.
.
The perfume as you walked down
that centre aisle was amazing.
.
.
Fancy planting all those!
I bet someone had backache.
I also found out that the new maze was now open,
although I didn't have time to give it a go.
They were still laying it out the last time I went.
On this visit I tried taking short clips using my camera
in 'movie' mode. I was going to post some up,
but found I wasn't very good at holding the camera steady.
They also needed a bit of sound or background music.
I shall work on it.
Here's a sample - just testing.
.
.
The trouble with blogger is that these clips are a bit on the small side.
Still what do you expect for free?
I may have to upload something larger to YouTube I think,
and add some nice Irish tunes.
.

Those organ pipes are amazing, even in their unfinished state - what do you do in your spare time??? I can imagine the scent of the hyacinths, there's nothing like it; haven't been to Cliveden since pre-1978;I think the maze preparation was shown on TV recently.
ReplyDeleteNice tidy eaters, your cats, no bits dropped on the table...
Nice to see Hazel tucking in :-D
ReplyDeleteI can just imagine the smell of those hyacinths- divine.
Oh, how I enjoy your posts, Bernard! I would love to see your country. My youngest sister goes to England to visit the family of a lovely lady one of my uncles was engaged to during World War II. Alas, our Uncle Leo was killed when his ship was sunk in the English Channel. Uncle Leo's fiance was named Nancy Tulip. I used to stare at her picture and think how beautiful she was and what a beautiful name she had. The pathos of the situation only added to my childhood romanticism. My sister missed her last visit because of the big snow you all had this past winter. I am not sure when she will get back. She speaks often with Nancy's brother Clive, but he is very ill and not expected to live.
ReplyDeleteOh my, I should not end on this sad note. I just wanted to say how beautiful your pictures are and thank you for the posts....
By the way, your film isn't at all bad. I know you shall have the technique down pat and be posting 'shorts' very soon!
ReplyDeleteA little bit of everything, Lovely! I can almost smell the hyacinths!
ReplyDeleteIt's a lovely flowery garden you've got.
ReplyDeleteA pheasant 'ooking off'! What could that mean?!
All that blue! I'd be dying to plant something bright yellow behind them, that combination is so cheery. I love the pheasant, of course. What a beauty. And your kitties always make me happy. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteGood evening Uncle B.,
ReplyDeleteI always love to read your blog and look at the always amazing pictures you show us..is that the same pheasant as in your earlier post on the 4th of March??..he likes yours and the cats compagnionship if its called that way..because he is returning...hope not for a "c-ooking off"..your cats are adorable and so welbehaved...Have a nice and sunny week...groetjes Francien.
Hi Sylve,
ReplyDeleteSince I took that photo, I have voiced them and tuned them. They are now playing along with all the other pipes. I have yet to decide how to finish them. Ie stain or varnish. Spare time? There is no spare time when you (me) are retired!
True Kath.
Hazel has her ‘off days’ and eats very little. Then she seems to want to catch up, and eats ‘like a horse’. I know animals are OK if they eat well. :D
Hello Mary,
You are very kind to say that about my efforts.
Sometimes, I am happy with my posts (like last weeks) and some days I think “Mmmm, that wasn’t very good.”
I can’t think of a name more English than ‘Nancy Tulip’. Actually I have never heard of the surname ‘Tulip’. I think I’ll go and look in my phone book; it is very unusual.
I have done ‘films’ before, but only as a slideshow. There is one of my effort about the River Thames here -
monkey-organ.blogspot.com/2010/10/winkles-and-watercress.html
and on YouTube here -
www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4h0GNqM5GY
Hi Molly,
Yes, I was using up ‘odd & ends’, so a bit of a mixed bag.
Morning Foody.
ReplyDeleteI took loads of garden photos last week, but nothing extraordinary. After all, they are only red tulips - the same as last year and the year before.
The missing words are “Booking Office”. I nicked it from a local railway station when they closed it down! He,he,he!
Exactly what I thought Jan.
I don’t know why they (the National Trust gardeners) do this?
I would have thought white Hyacinths would also have gone well along with the blue.
I have no idea why the pheasant kept looking in, apart from the fact that he could see his reflection in the glass.
Good Morning Francien,
I have just been admiring the lovely things that you make and show us on your blog.
I have to admit that I don’t know know what half of them are used for? However, they look lovely.
Yes, the pheasant is the same one. I get quite a few in the Spring. The males come down from the woods and fields further up the lane, looking for ‘lady friends’.
I don’t know what they expect to find in my garden. Just two lazy cats!
The cats take no notice of him.
Another nice sunny day here. Mind you, my garden could do with a drop of the ‘wet stuff’!
I was on my way home last night and 'Booking office' occurred to me. I thought you must have got the sign from a station. So I was right. Nicked it? Oooooh, you naughty boy!
ReplyDeleteGood afternoon Uncle B., thanks for the compliment though..nice to know that you take the time to look at my blog...these are all "girly"things i gave away when someone wants them..now that its going to be better weather i will make mosaics again..just for the fun of making things in my rarely spare time.. thats why i enjoy your lovely pictures of your country..your cats and garden somuch...its like being there myself..
ReplyDeleteits going to be wonderful weather tomorrow too so i think you have to grab your wateringcan and spent the day outside..
groetjes Francien.
The Hyacinths are amazing :-)
ReplyDeleteYour video clip looks perfectly still to me.
Foody, Francien, Cherie,
ReplyDeleteThanks again. :)
I love all of the photos you posted. What darling cats. What are the names? I'm an animal lover. The video was nice too. I love your garden. I'm assuming the small one is yours.
ReplyDelete