Friday, 1 April 2011

More Slo' Cooking.

.
To be honest, I couldn’t decide whether or not to do this post today after all those shocking revelations here on Wednesday.
You see I’ve always wanted visitors to think that this is a blog of “Good Taste”.

Yes, today, it’s a question of ‘Taste‘.
A question of “I wonder what that tastes like”?
A couple of weeks ago I tried my first duck egg. I enjoyed it.

.
.
But I wonder how many of you have tried Frog's legs or hedgehog?
No, neither have I, but people have been known to resort to making pies from them, and I believe Angus is quite partial to a fricassee of grey squirrel.
Now where is all this leading?

Well, yesterday my friends tortoise died.
It had got through the winter hibernation alright,
but was wandering about not eating or drinking.
We looked on the web here, and read:-

“Certain complex chemical and biological processes are initiated as the animal prepares to emerge into the spring sunshine. At this point unfortunately, it often runs into its first problem. In this country springs are cold, wet and miserable.
For us, this sort of weather may be merely unpleasant. For tortoises it can present rather more serious problems. Upon first emerging from hibernation a tortoise is depleted in strength, and is very vulnerable to infection. Unless it receives adequate quantities of heat and light it will simply 'not get going properly', and instead of starting to regain weight and strength lost during hibernation, may well refuse to eat and begin to decline.”

Well it did.
It declined to eat, and died.

My friend was of course very upset, and asked me,
as she lives in a flat, would I mind burying the poor tortoise in my garden.

So I brought it home and ……..
I can hear you all saying “Oh no! You didn’t eat it, did you?”

Well, I though long and hard about this, and then remembered things like Turtle soup, and I remember reading that tortoises on the Galápagos have been hunted for their meat by sailors and fishermen for years. The great Charles Darwin, when he arrived in the Galápagos in 1835, described how he and the crew of the Beagle lived entirely on tortoise meat.
And, even if I didn’t fancy it, Hazel might - and Wesley eats anything!

Firstly, I googled the web for the ‘internal layout’ of a tortoise.
I found this.
.
.
So I now knew where to find the various bits .

Actually it scooped out fairly easily,
but it was a bit ‘rubbery’ in texture‘ and would require long slow cooking;
I know, I’ll make a soup.
(To avoid upsetting anyone, I have thrown away all the bits with pipes and suchlike).

My “Mrs Beeton” didn’t really help; she only mentions ‘Mock Turtle’ soup.

.
.
However, the rest was easy, fry an onion,
chop a tomato, brown the meat and add some stock.
I couldn’t decide if beef stock or chicken stock was best,
so in the end I settled for vegetable stock, as tortoise are totally vegetarian.
.
.
And the result after a few hours gentle simmering -

a quick zap with a blender -

a delicious tortoise soup.

.
.
Now, what more could one want,
apart from crusty bread,

on April Fool‘s Day?


So friends and followers, sing along with me…..

“He’s a faithful friend, the tortoise;
And he’ll love you till the end.”
.

.
Enjoy. He,he,he,he, he!

I wonder why so many folk singers have beards?
(and, 'a little bird tells me', some of their wives too.)
.

14 comments:

  1. He, he, he!
    How far down did you get before you twigged?

    Now I just wanted to point out that no animals were injured in the preparation of this post.
    The old tortoise shell I picked up at a car boot sale about twenty years ago.
    Why I can't remember.
    The 'innards' shown above were old chicken bones and the 'meat' was Hazel's leftovers!

    I know.
    I'm getting daft in my old age.
    But it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh , it WAS fun!!!
    I didn't really believe it but the shell NEARLY convinced me. You know the photo with what looked like the skeleton lying in it.
    A great laugh Bernard !!
    Cheers
    Helen
    PS And eat a hedgehog ???? though I must say I have eaten kangaroo! (It's very nice )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bet you check this often today for comments !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good evening Uncle B., I have open and closed your blog again after your first picture...but then i thought.."he could not!!..could he?!"and went back to read your whole post...and there...first of April t.G....
    i have eaten some crazy food in the different countrys i lived in ( camel a.o.) but never a turtle or hedgehog...i think?! i never asked...
    Have a fine weekend..its going to be very sunny here with 21 degrees..i hope so...groetjes Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer Red Squirrel (more nuttier) Bernard the Testudo boiler, giant Tortoise is the most delicious food going (so I am told), Emu is a bit stringy, hedgehog is nice in a stew, Reindeer is very tender, but Badger is tough, whereas Criadillas have a strange salty taste, and Seal Flipper Pie is great as long as you remember the Worcestershire sauce....is it too late for April Fools day?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Helen,
    It is getting more difficult every year to 'pull the wool over peoples eyes.'
    Hedgehogs were eaten by 'travellers' years ago, and I saw someone on TV a while back, showing you how to cook squirrel. :(
    I had to choose something silly, like a tortoise. Didn't fool you then? :)

    Morning Francien,
    I was not sure how friends in other parts of the world would react? Do they have 'April Fools' on the first?
    I noticed Jan in California does. I don't even know where it originated. It was was meant to be what we term "A shaggy dog story" where you lead people on to believe the tale until the end.
    It is also nice here today, a bit windy but not a cold wind. :)
    Take care.....groetjes Bernard

    A Testudo boiler? Angus.
    I shall have to look that up.
    Some of those you mention are eaten, like hedgehog and reindeer. (though not be me I might add) No, never too late for a leg-pull.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Testudo. Yes, found it on the picture above.
    It just shows how I don't even read my own blog pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh bernard , i believed all of it, until your last sentence,
    Typical of me!!!!!
    Well done, it was a good 'un!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And there was me too, thinking that it was all kosher. By the time I read to the end of the post - gosh that sound delicious. Wonder if hubs would like some for his supper. Perhaps not :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you are a scream Bernard :-D
    That's one of the best "wind-ups" I have seen since the "scratch and sniff" Tv screen in the 80's.
    I must say, it was beautifully set up and photographed, you rotter :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I kept going back and forth. At first I thought surely not, then I thought well maybe he is having it for dinner, and what a relief when I suddenly realized it wasn't true. I have eaten many a frog leg. When I was a kid we used to "gig" for frogs. I will say that I wasn't very good at it.. My mother fried them and they jumped all over the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Morning Annette,
    Fancy you believing me! :o
    Glad you enjoyed it.

    Honest Molly: You fell for it? :o
    I didn't want it to sound too real, and I didn't want to give the game away too early on.
    I don't know about you, but I'd have to be on a desert island and starving before I'd really try it. :(

    Thanks Kath,
    I always wanted to be a 'rotter'. :D
    Teased the girls at school. That's me. :)
    It was a quick off the cuff blog,as I planned it weeks ago. I did hesitate though, as I thought it might be in 'bad taste'.

    Good morning 'ILMD&MM,
    A "shaggy dog story" you see and an April Fools joke. I had to start off being serious for a bit, otherwise people would have twigged too early.
    I have never tried frogs leg's. There can't be much meat on them. Having loads in my ponds in the garden, I can't say I'm all that keen on eating any of them.

    Cheers all - Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honest Uncle B - I'm winding you up too. (he he)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are such a tease...

    You didn't fool me, you love animals too much to do that ;-)

    ReplyDelete