Thursday, 28 April 2011

"Not-so-Good" Friday.

.
My whole Easter break has been unusual to say the least.

"Not-so-Good" Friday saw a Windows update, crash my PC.
.
.
It went 'belly up' and I had nothing working except,
the internet phone.

The gremlins were at work.
.
.
Have you ever tried getting help on a Bank holiday?

I found myself going round in circles.
.
.
I was advised that I would have to reload the operating system,
that came with the machine in November 2007!
It had been lurking there on the Hard Drive all this time,
waiting for this opportunity.

"You will lose all your data in this operation,
so try to back it all up" the help-desk person said.

Luckily, I back-up at least once a month,
but decided to try a complete back-up using the Recovery Manager.
"It would require 18 DVD's" it informed me!
.
.
I stumbled on all day Saturday.
Seven hours to prepare the back-up files,
and three hours to write them to disc.

I had a break on Sunday and Monday,
and did a successful System Restore on Tuesday.

My hard drive now had no programs
and no data.

Downloaded and installed a few important programs on Wednesday.

Thursday, this morning,
I attempted to restore the data from those 18 DVD's.

I got to disc number 15 and it failed!
.
.
It turned out that it failed because some of those files
were from the BBC iPlayer and were write-protected!
(no one told me until afterwards)
So, as the last three discs only contained rubbish programme data,
it was no big loss.

All my organ music and pictures are restored.

I need a rest.

I just don't know what to do first?
I will try and catch up with you all,
as soon as possible.
I had a couple of blogs planned - a Easter one,
and
most important of all,

Hazel was 102 on Wednesday!
(Nineteen, in our years)
.

12 comments:

  1. Oh no! What a nightmare! So glad you're back Bernard and you managed to restore all your music and pictures. Also some comfort that the last three disks were not important. Happy belated birthday greeting to Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor you, I was exhausted just reading about your ordeal-by-computer.
    Luckily I have my own in-house PC wizard to sort mine out :-O
    And there's me thinking you'd over indulged on the catnip at Hazel's party!
    Happy Birthday old gel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good evening Uncle B., i know the feeling...it terrible when the pc does`nt work...it happend to me too and could not restore anything...but i too got my "wizzkid"Serge who lives quit near...but then...i did not wanted to disturp him on his free weekend back then...he is working with pc`s during the whole week and likes to take a break when he is free..nobody else to ask!!..late at night i thought i had it all worked out( together with the helpdesk and trying a thousend settings) and the next day by starting up all was gone...again...i could cry then i tell you...
    After that i bought a external hard disk...so all is on that when my pc crashes again...no worrys anymore..( i hope)..
    so many hugs for lovely Hazel happy belated birthday...i am sure Bernard makes it up to you..102...you go girl!!!Great to read that you have all your music and pictures restored...that would be a great loss of all the work you had with it...
    greetings and you take care now..groetjes Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you didn't pick up a hammer and smash everything! Must be your clever engineering mind that helps you through things like this. I can offer my condolences, but can't say I know how you feel. I've had a Mac for 25 years and have never had a problem like that. (Not the same computer all those years, I've had to upgrade, but only 3 times.) They may be more expensive, but honestly they just work. That's a necessity for me because I have no patience for machines that don't work. I've also had Macs at work for 20 years and never had a problem. (Thank you God. Or maybe Steve Jobs.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed that you'd gone AWOL. Glad you've got it all back working again. Makes you feel cut off from the world when your computer doesn't work don't you think?
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Easter weekend sounds a bit like mine. I did have a fun day out but I was mostly focused on restoring my network and internet connections which had been frazzled after a power cut!

    Nothing is ever as easy as it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being fro the states, I had never heard of a bank holiday until we went to Ireland and my father was ill in the hospital. He was there a week and to be discharged...on a bank holiday. We had plane reservations to go home...and couldn't get a doctor to discharge him...all on holiday! Made the plane with minutes to spare. We looked like your circle cycle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you managed to sort it out Bernard the re-booted, now you know that you have to do a backup to the nice new Hard drive you bought:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blimey, Bernard, I thought it was only me who had PC problems!!
    I shan't say any more or I'll be tempting fate though good to see you're 'mobile' again. (Or whatever the PC equivalent word would be!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought you had gone quiet!!!
    Serioulsy tho, its terrible when you lose the computer, isn't it?
    Horrible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all. I've done a special post above.
    Cheers.....Bernard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a to do! You deserve a medal or something. Some big award for effort. I would have given up, or taken it to somebody else!

    ReplyDelete