.
Rain! Lovely rain!
Well, good for the garden, which was as dry as a bone,
but not so go for those who have just rushed off on holiday.
So, what have we all been up to on days like this?
Hazel has set up camp in the greenhouse. Having reached the 'ripe old' age of 102, she thought she might as well 'ripen off' with the tomatoes!
Wes, on the other hand, decided on the doormat.
.
.
So two dry pussies, and where was I?
In the 'workshop'.
Actually, us engineers are not supposed to use the word 'workshop', it has to be referred to as a 'Hobby room'! A workshop implies 'work' and that would never do in a residential property.
Elf 'n Safety and worse!!!!!
(Heaven help us - please eu hurry up and collapse)
You see, I'm one, who has always fancied a nice bang,
on the drum!
And my wee organ doesn't have one.
.

.
This fellow over in Holland does.
A nice little side drum.
Here's another tucked behind a curtain,
showing all 'the works'.
.
.
Now, to get these to bang at the right time,
and in time with the music, they can be linked into
the Bass Notes.
(as in the Ump, of ump, pah, pah.)
But, they can also be driven by a puff of air
from the tracker-bar.
.
.
This is my tracker-bar.
The organ has 26 notes - but the bar has 27 holes!
You see I planned ahead and added an extra hole
for percussion.
Many builders do this.
My friend Derek (in Australia) has a 27th hole and
uses it to power his moving bandsmen.
.

.
Derek Deane's 27 note Organ.
Over the years, at car boots and in charity shops,
I have picked up all sorts of rubbish,
and I have a few old tambourines,
and even an old drum kicking about.
.
.
All I need now, is to get the puff of air,
from the hole number 27,
down to a device to bang the drum in time with the music!
So now to the technical bit.
.
.
This is what I have been up to
whilst the rain, rained,
the euro collapsed,
and
the cats slept through the whole thing!
Making a valve chest to 'Bang on my Drum'.
.
.
I must admit, that that the thought
of the euro collapsing,
and
the whole eu thingie going belly up,
is a darn sight more exciting
than having a bang on my drum!
I feel like playing "Land of Hope & Glory".
.

As you well know, we must each march to our own drum beat....as for the kitties they, of course, live all of life to their own beat.
ReplyDeleteI thought of you and your blog as I watched a 1920's silent, German made movie and in it was an organ grinder with his monkey. The organ grinder looked ok, but, the monkey was rather sinister looking..... Stick with the kitties at home and forget the monkey.....
Cheers to you all.
I have learnt so much since following your blog Bernard,I really had never given all the working much thought, I would love to have your Aussie friend come to our Big Boys Toys day and I am sure that everyone would be fascinated.I am looking forward to seeing how you go with your 27th hole.
ReplyDeleteI think that's really cool having a drum to boom boom in time with the music. The drawings look mind blowing - my Other Half is very impressed and thinks you are very brainy.
ReplyDeleteVery clever Bernard. You have such an interesting hobbywith your organ ... and there are also the clocks you restore.
ReplyDeleteIt's very dry here too - funny saying that after floods at the beginning of the year but that's the way it goes in Oz.
I'm with you on the EU by the way.
Cheers
Helen
I find you creation of a valve chest far more fasinating than the collapse of the Euro which seems to be doing a slow dying swan...
ReplyDeleteI think Wes has the best idea ;-)
Oh you are clever Uncle B. Have you done any more painting lately? I am a great fan of your delightful miniature scenes.
ReplyDeleteI would LOVE to learn to play the drums, but I don't duppose the neighbours would ! If a good old 1960's (my era) piece of drumming comes on the radio then the windows are shut and the radio turned up. lovely sunshine here in Ayr yehhhhhhhh
ReplyDeleteYou're so clever. I'd probably just sit beside the organ, dress like a gypsy, and bang the drum or shake the tambourine myself. Is there really a chance the EU might tank? Whatever was it for, anyway, sort of an economic NATO?
ReplyDeleteThere was I, giving thanks for a bit of rain on my dry garden, and what happens?
ReplyDeleteIt rained on us at the Great Bucks Steam Fair on Saturday.
Never mind, at least it cleared up around lunchtime and the afternoon was not too bad.
Hi Mary,
I was going to say you never see real monkeys any more, but then I remembered that I had seen one, on YouTube, in America dressed as a sailor! There is also a clip on my other blog here -
Morning Carole,
Derek is a member of AMOS (see here http://www.amos.asn.au/ ). He lives in Bombala NSW., and expect there are many members scattered around a big country like Australia.
Hi Molly,
None of what I do is new technology, as these organs have been around since Victorian days. There are many other sounds that can be found on some of the larger organs. Cymbals, glockenspiel, triangle and even wooden blocks are used.
Hello Helen,
Sometimes I think I take on doing too many things. I used to be interested in vintage motorbikes but sold my two some years ago.
Hi Cherie,
You are the first one to be fascinated by my valve chest. :D
Actually, I have put a Perspex side on it, so that people can get a peep of it working.
It is nice to see how things work.
Morning Kath:
You are kind. :D
No, I haven’t found time for painting, although I did unearth one of my very early childhood drawings. It was in amongst my Grandmothers old photos.
Hi Ann,
Do you know, I think you can buy ‘electronic’ drum kits. You ‘bang away’ wearing headphones and nobody else can hear you. We needed a bit of sunshine this weekend for the Steam rally. Showers are forecast again for today.
Hello Jan,
‘Husband and wife’ grinders do exactly that. Hubby turns and his good lady joins in, sometimes even singing. I have noticed that in France most of the organ grinders/wives/girlfriends sing along.
As I go out on my own, I need an automated system. I just turn the handle and chat to passers-by.
Mary:
ReplyDeleteSorry I left out the link to a real monkey -
http://tracker-bar.blogspot.com/2011/07/real-organ-grinders-monkey.html
Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back and we'll talk about it.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
Madison
maddie0147@gmail.com
Hello Maddie, for one moment I thought you were my follower Maddie Grigg from Dorset - but not so. :o
ReplyDeleteWell, I'm afraid you won't find my email address anywhere on the web, I am very, very shy and very, very secretive.
However, I am always pleased to consider any requests from charming young ladies, but can't always promise to oblige.
Cheers.....Bernard