.
It is nearly three years ago that I finally decided to have a go at this blogging lark.
I had of course been reading, and enjoying blogs for a few years before that.
One of first blogs I followed was that of a charming lady of great character, living in Devon.
.
.
An ex Londoner, I think, from the 'East-end'.
I only think that, rather than know it,
as she was rather keen on - jellied eels.
“Please, will someone send me down some jellied eels.”
she used to say on her blog.
I remember finding a fishmonger, I think in Reading, who would post them frozen, to anywhere in the UK - but at a cost of course.
“I wanted jellied eels, not caviar!” she replied.
So, alas, my poor Devonshire Dumpling never got her ‘last wish’.
She got her winkles.....
.

.
from Baggy Point ........
.

.
.....just up the coast from Bideford where she had her ‘mud hut’.
She got her Chinese take-a-way in Bideford,
but no ‘Eel pie’ from her beloved ’East-end’.
Why am I telling you this?
Well, I am very, very much saddened today to hear that this charming and witty blogger friend had passed quietly away from the bloggersphere and left another, unfillable hole in my list of followers.
God bless you Yvonne.
I’m so very sorry to loose you, I’m also so sorry we never got to meet up, and I’m ever so sorry you never got to taste again, those lovely ’East-end’ favourites - ’Jellied eels’.
Rest in peace.
Bernard. xxx
.
From her blogger profile.
Yvonne-Hadley-Jones
An Eastender who now lives in North Devon. Bookworm, loves cooking and The Arts and anything to do with the sea. Freelance photographer. Lives with a Spaniel named Raki and a Cockatiel called Harry who thinks he's a fruit bat. Adores dolphins, rainbows, photography and nature and enjoys long walks in the countryside. Hates man's inhumanity towards man and ill treatment of animals- and totally detests the labour party, football, and the bloody EU.
"....and totally detests the labour party,
football, and the bloody EU."
Amen to that!
.

dear bernard,
ReplyDeleteso very sorry for your loss of such an influential friend.
She sounds great Bernard,so sad to loose someone that brings a spark to your day.Jellied eels sound disgusting and I did see them for sale at the beach at Weymouth when we were there but did not be tempted to taste lol.So sorry about Yvonne bless her.
ReplyDeleteGoodness what a shock. I too regularly visited "DD" as we called her.
ReplyDeleteShe was indeed, quite a character. How very sad.
That is such sad news, Bernard. She sounded a great character. May she rest in peace.
ReplyDeleteA beautiful tribute to DD. I was so sad when I heard the news yesterday.
ReplyDeleteI too hope she rests in peace.
How come I haven't found your blog before? It's right up my street, so now I am a faithful/less follower.
ReplyDeleteThats so sad, she sounds like she was a wonderfully interesting person.......but Oh My God, jellied eels YUK!
ReplyDeleteThat's sad, but it looks like she had a very rewarding life. She must have been a very interesting lady. RIP
ReplyDeleteYes, all very sad.
ReplyDeleteI don't think she left her blog up which is also a loss.
It's nice to look back over happy times, don't you think?
As you know, I have tried to comment on lots of your posts but Blogger failed me, although it was my own fault. I have now sorted it out. Anyway, here I am to say I was sorry to hear of the passing of the feistiest lady I think I have ever come across.
ReplyDelete