Wednesday, 19 October 2011

The Lawn’s a dead loss.

.
One of my brothers rang last night.
"Are you alright?" he asked.
"As well as can be expected. Why?" I said.
"Well you haven't done a blog for over two weeks."

True, but there are other things in life.
Only the other day Jan, who has just retired (California) said -

"I've spent the past 30 years in front of a computer for 8 hours a day, and it's a difficult thing to change."
but, she tells me,
she is going to take up water-colour painting.

I too spent over 30 years, but since I've retired,
I have found a 'thousand & one' other things to do.

Foody also kindly enquired -
"Are you and the cats OK?"
.
.
A song by Q. Cumber!

So, here they are yesterday watching 'yours truly',
doing a spot of garden re-design.
.
.
My garden is essentially in two parts,
divided by a pergola walk up the centre.
.
.
In Spring.

The lefthand side is all lawn, sorry moss!
The bit on the right is also lawn but much smaller,
as it is tucked away behind the shed and greenhouse.
I decided to convert this smaller patch of moss back into a vegetable garden as it was 30 odd years ago before I came here.
(I gleaned this from my neighbour, who has been on the other side of the fence for some forty odd years.)

So here we go.
.
.
This is what the cats were watching me do.
I didn't want anything too big and too much work,
so opted for a small central patch with grass (moss) walkways round the four sides.
.
.
I left the sundial in the centre and laid a couple of slabs for access.
I am going to plant herbs all around it.

No time for blogging you see.

---

The roses have faded,
They’re tired and jaded,
The garden is looking quite plain.
The lawn’s a dead loss,
Just all sphagnum moss.
Oh, I wish it was summer again.

.
.
That was a hard days graft.
I think I'll just sit in here,
in the evening sun!
.

16 comments:

  1. Glad you are back and all is fine Bernard. I know that there is more to life than blogging by it is nice to know that you were missed.
    Looks like you've been working hard but isn't it the wrong time of your to be growing vegies over there? We can only grow them in Winter here. It's too hot and humid in Summer. Lots of pests and diseases kill everything off.
    Don't work too hard now.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it's not just the 'Old Grump' and I who have a perfect moss lawn then? The veg. patch will look good with the sun dial in the centre of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've missed your blogs too Uncle B. I love home grown veggies as well - would't be without my garden - weeds an all Just think of all those lovely fresh salad crops in the Spring

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missed you and yours! Glad all is well and think your outdoor space is going to be charming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great, I imagine the cars loved watching as they are sticky beaks lol,hard work getting a new garden bed going,have fun.Glad to see a blog just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning Uncle B., if i had such a garden i would blog far less as you do.....☺...that must be a very big job!!...but you got some great audiance there...so no long pauses....got to be ready for the winter comes?!....just kidding....glad you are allright!! greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice to see a decent bit of vandalism in the gareden Bernard the mossman:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see you have three cats!
    Well done. I look forward to seeing the herbs.
    We have moss too. I know what we could do about it, but we don't. We just enjoy all parts of the garden. If we don't mind something, we don't change it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my Aussie friends showed a rather spectacular organ you might be interested in http://dzintrastitcheries.blogspot.com/2011/10/floriade-2011.html

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always loved the look of your garden as you have shown it in your posts :-) I like the new renovations too.

    Much more fun and more important than sitting at the computer. But how about a photo a day so we can see the progress ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What energy! But you have to remake gardens while the sun shines - or something. I'm downsizing my garden as well as the house contents.Not so nice today, grey but at least it's not as windy as it has been.
    Nice to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, here we are at the end of another dry, but chilly week.
    I hope to get out the today and start spreading my old compost heap all over the patch, which is now completely cleared and 80% dug over.
    Than you all for your kind comments.

    As Helen said -
    - it’s nice to know you’re missed, but after three years blogging, new subjects are sometimes a struggle and putting it all together is time consuming.
    It’s Autumn here Helen and a perfect time for getting the veggie patch ready for Spring planting. You can plant some veggies which over-winter like leeks and onions.

    Hi Doohie,
    Why is it only our lawns get moss? All the council grass, verges and parks seem completely free of it!

    Morning Molly and Marilyn,
    I’m sorry I can’t be more regular with postings but subjects to write about tend to pop up in a random way. Actually Molly your last post gave me an idea. (Moel y Golfa).

    Hi Carole,
    Hard work - yes, and I have to be careful I don’t ‘put my back out’!

    Good Morning Francien,
    Years ago I would spend nearly all my spare time gardening but as I have got older I have taken to more varied pursuits. ie Organ Grinding etc.
    PS Did you see me playing it on my blog of the 4th September? (Also on YouTube)

    Hello Angus:
    Glad to see the ’gremlins’ have allowed you to comment again. Welcome.

    Morning Foody,
    Yes. Counting the stone one. Actually there are two more stone cats around the garden. Poor Lizzie, Wesley’s twin sister, is at rest under that one in the picture.
    For some strange reason, (probably the sun), he spends ages lying on that bit of grass.

    Thanks Kath,
    I’ll take a trip over there when I’ve finished this comment (Unc B xx)

    Hi Cherie,
    Sorry I haven’t been commenting on your posts recently, but I do pop over for a read.
    You can see I have been very busy. Once a day might be a wee bit boring as I’m only digging it over at the moment. I will post again as things start to look different. :)

    Hello Sylve,
    I was just this very minute going to post my reply (above) when yours arrived. :)
    Actually, I’m trying to lose weight. I’ve been going for walks, as you know, but this seems a more productive way of ‘burning orf those pesky calories‘!
    Nice again here; I hope to get outside again later.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Afternoon sir....yes i saw your video just now!! what a lovely day that must have bin....and a happy.... very belated.... birthday!!...i even missed your lovely post about the hedgehogs...oh well.. somethimes live comes between it all...catched up now!! have a lovely relaxed Sunday...greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Bernard - lovely to read your blog - it all looks very interesting - and the cats look impressed with the new look - herbs are great - so many varieties and so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Uncle B! I've figured out what's happening to summer, those people from Australia have stolen it. Just watch, they'll soon be blogging about how wonderful it is, while we up here in the north are freezing and moaning. Maybe we can make a plan to steal it back.

    ReplyDelete