Thursday, 27 October 2011

"Hazel's World"

.
Hazel was born on 27th April 1992.
She was one of four females born to her mother,
a 'British Cream'.
(Father not known!)
I have quite a few pictures of them when they
were only weeks old.

Here's one.
.
.
Hazel is on the right, by her mothers left paw.
She has that little streak of ginger on her forehead.

Sadly, I'm afraid Hazel is no longer with us.
She passed away on Monday afternoon,
and finally left me,
after nineteen and a half, happy years together.
These last six months, however,
had been a rather uncomfortable time for her,
with many trips to the vets.
In a kind way, I am somewhat relieved that she is at rest,
she was, after all, the equivalent of 102 in our years.

I have laid her to rest exactly where she was sitting,
in that photo in the sun, on last Wednesdays blog.

I have made a small pictorial tribute and
posted it up on YouTube.

It's just a few pictures of Hazel,
and the only world she knew, my garden.
I had her as a kitten almost twenty years ago,
and although free to roam,
had never strayed from her beloved patch.

This was the whole world as she knew it.
She now rests here in peace, under her favourite Mulberry tree.

(It plays full screen, but not as sharp.)
.

.
I can't think why YouTube,
out of the thirty pictures there,
had to choose this one of my garden roller!
There were loads better.
But there you go!
That's life, I can't change it.

.
.
My friend.

27th April 1992.
-
24th October 2011.
.

20 comments:

  1. Sleep peacefully, lovely girl, we will miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to read about the loss of Hazel. I admit to shedding a tear as I looked at the beautiful garden where she lived and was happy.

    May she rest there in peace.

    Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear friend ...you must be so sad right now...i will miss her pictures here...your picture here show that she wss such a lovely girl.....beautiful and bright....so sorry for you....most of us know the feeling....take care....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet long dreams for Hazel, Bernard no wonder she never wandered your garden was her little touch of paradise!I personally loved the roller shot and thought what a lovely poster it would make,my other favourite pic was hazel looking through the arch like growth.Just lovely,i hope you are coping ok with your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Bernard,
    This was the perfect tribute to a dear cat who was so faithful and loving for all those years. You did give her a piece of heaven on earth in the garden. My thoughts are with you and Wesley-he will miss her and so will I. Thank you for sharing this intimate love portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bernard - I'm so sorry to hear about Hazel. She will be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I'm so sorry to read this and hope that you aren't too sad x x sending love x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear your news Bernard. Pets add so much to our lives don't they? Your tribute was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry to hear that but at least she is resting peacefully now after all her recent difficulties.

    Your video is a sweet and fitting tribute to her xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Bernard, I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
    Your tribute to Hazel is lovely. ( I can see why she wanted to be in the garden as much as she did, it is a beautiful spot. ) I love the photo of Hazel sittting in the door-way, looking into the camera, and behind her is the bird getting ready to raid the food bowl.
    I know you will miss Hazel more than words can tell until you are together again.
    You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How very, very sad. I am so sorry. It was a beautiful tribute and I feel very moved by it. I had forgotten if you said she never left the garden, but it was such a lovely place for her there was no need to go looking elsewhere. So many lovely nooks and hidey places. What a lovely life she had.
    I really like that last picture, but also the little kitten Wesley one. Also I didn't know Hazel played the violin!
    I'm thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks to all of you for these kind comments that you have left here.
    Parting from a pet, in my case cats, is not new to me. Over the last 25 years I have been parted from five others. One was killed on the road, one went AOL and the three others lived here, for nearly as many years as Hazel did. Those three are also at rest under the same Mulberry. They were all females and never strayed from the garden.
    I moved here in February 1992, Hazel joined the ‘family’, three months later in May.
    She was seven weeks old.
    So you see, this is the first time, in twenty years, that I have not had her around the house and garden, and of course I miss her very much.
    To me, a house is not a home, without a cat.
    Wesley is doing his best, but he is always out in the garden, until his tummy rumbles!
    I’m glad you liked my little video bit. For a long time, I couldn’t decide whether to post it up or not.
    I didn’t want it to be too sad, more a reflection.
    It took me ages to find a suitable piece of music. Some was too cheerful and most too sombre. In the end I settled for a little Welsh tune played on the Celtic harp.
    The title (which is in Welsh) I’m afraid escapes me.
    Once again, thank you all.
    I may take a little break now and see how things are in a day or two.
    Cheers…..B

    ReplyDelete
  13. Forgot the 'W' in AWOL.
    (Absent without leave.)
    ...not....America on line! :O

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hazel lived in a lovely world and has left you with lovely memories which will always be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Bernard I am sorry to read this. I have tears in my eyes after watching your tribute, what a good life Hazel had though. We still miss Hana our lovely Border Collie who went to the kennel in the sky April last year, we had her from a six week old puppy to almost 13 years. Hopefully we will look for another BC soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bernard
    What a wonderful tribute to a dear friend - beautiful photographs and bewitching music -
    I do not have a cat at the present -just my dog and I love her very much - any loss of a pet is agonising - we have all been there - my thoughts are with you - Jane

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry, Bernard. What a beautiful tribute you put together. It is so difficult to lose precious pets, but the memory of them lingers on.

    ReplyDelete