Thursday, 10 November 2011

Searching for a subject.

.
This last week or so,
I have been stuck for a subject to write about.
.
.
So I went digging through my piles and
heaps of sheet music for ideas.

I found this one.
.
.
.....but I expect I moaned about fireworks
upsetting animals last year, and the year before.


And, as last year, and the year before,
I have been making Tomato soup.
.
.
Hey Tom, I think we're in the soup!

And talking of 'being in the soup',
I notice that all the european leaders are
re-arranging the deck-chairs, yet again!
.
.
...and making plans!
.
.
And whilst on the subject of
being in 'hot water'.

Here's a 'clean' song -
"Singing in the Bathtub".
.
.
And would you believe it,
here's a lady who takes her hen
into her bath with her!

Looks more like a cock bird to me.
.
.
A soapy cock.

And this chap, has got one up on
the old rubber duck he had as a kid!
.
.
A soapy duck.

And, still on the subject of soap,
I found this.....
.
.

And this......
.
.
Every bloody week I lose a sock!


And so after all this searching,
for something to write about,
I found these.

And I remembered.
.
.
Where are the boys of the old Brigade,
Who fought for us side by side?
Shoulder to shoulder, and blade by blade,
Fought till they fell and died!
Who so ready and undismayed?
Who so merry and true?
Where are the boys of the old Brigade?
Where are the lads we knew?

Over the sea far away they lie,
Far from the land of their love;
Nations alter, the years go by,
But Heav’n is still Heav’n above,
Not in the Abbey proudly laid
Find they a place or part;
The gallant boys of the old Brigade,
They sleep in old England’s heart.


Words..... F. E. Weatherly (1848-1929)


The words are from a song "The Old Brigade".
I have the music, but only in a book of 'Parlour Songs'.
.
.
One of my interests,
is digging out these old songs and tunes.....
....many of course, long forgotten.

But let us not ever forget the many who died
fighting for our freedom.

We will remember them.
.

13 comments:

  1. Uncle, wherever do you find these pics! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the lady who lost her sock was in Flackwell Heath laundrette last Monday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha Lovely to have you back Bernard!
    Do you play these tunes Bernard? Is this music for a piano that you tinkle away on ? I like the thought of you sifting through these old books and reminding yourself of the tunes as you sit at your piano.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I retired I did indeed buy a piano. Before that I learnt to play on my Harmonium (now gone). I have always been able to read music but have only played treble line instruments. Although I can read bass lines I always have trouble in keeping both hand doing different things!
    Cheers....B

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the tunes at least of Chinese Laundry Blues and Boys of the Old Brigade.
    Love your two tomato friends though it looks a tad like 'Off with their heads...'After you Claude'. 'No, after you...'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have recordings of George Formby playing/singing Laundry Blues.
    I had all these tomatoes with strange shapes last year. The little men are actually made up of two tomatoes, one on top the other.
    Cheers....B

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is like a delightful bowl of stew, lots of little things hidden in it. I can't for the life of me figure out how that girl fit herself into the washing machine, though. And the lady bathing with her rooster reminds me of a segment of The Natural History of Chickens. You might be able to find that online, it's a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jan. I like that. :D
    "A bowl of stew" is about right. I started off with no plan in sight, so it was a bit of a ramble.
    If you don't figure out the 'girl in a tub' wait till you see the picture of a 'girl in a fridge'! (lurking somewhere in my folders). :O
    Cheers.....B

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bathing pictures made me smile :-) It amazes me what some people get up to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi CherryPie.
    "There's none so queer as folk"
    as the saying goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post. Put my emotions into a tizzy though. Laugh then cry. Thank you for taking the time to create the nice "stew".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope your piles are smaller now Bernard the soapy:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A bit belated but I've been away and then it takes me ages to get going again once I'm back.
    Well what nutty people, bathing with birds and especially bathing in the washing machine!
    That Poppyland music reminded me that there is a lovely film called Poppyland. It's a bit simple and sugary but very sweet. I wonder if that sheet music is the theme tune for the film?

    ReplyDelete