Thursday, 24 November 2011

A Tough Choice for a Young Boy.

.
When I was at junior school, probably aged nine or ten, we were quizzed as to what we thought we would do for a living when we finally left school.
At that age it was not really a career decision, but I remember all the girls wanting to be nurses and secretaries, and most of the boys wanted to be engine drivers and things like that.
I remembered all this, because the class laughed
when I said I wanted to be a chef!

Well, it never came to pass.
At Grammar school, there were again discussions with career advisors, and being good at Art, I thought I would get into ‘Stage set design’ or maybe ‘Book illustration.

“There’s no demand” they said,
and “Certainly no money to be made.“
“ The future in in technology and especially electronics.“

I enjoyed the art classes. You always enjoy things that you are good at.
Whilst sorting out old photographs from my Grandmother’s house, I found a sketch that I had done when I was nine.
.
.
Granny had kept it all those years.

It was done in ’ball-point’ pen and for a nine year old, not bad, considering that you could not rub out any mistakes, as with pencil.
At Grammar school, we had proper art classes, and guess what?
I was always coming ’top of the class’.
I still have many of my drawings and illustrations from those days.
.
.
Bernard - class 5 a1

Here's a few. I hope I don't bore you.
.
.
And for 'Grey Fergie' lovers -
(complete with rusty staples, at the top.)
.
.
And for any up a Welsh Mountain?
.
.
Moel-y-Myddfa or is it Molly Mithfa?

But my favourite subject was birds.
(in those days - only the feathered ones!)
.
.
Sorry, there are no chickens.
.
.
Close up of the above, Golden Eagle.
.
.
A page of Tits.
(this is not 'page three' by the way!)

.
.
A Peregrine Falcon.


And finally - the dreaded exams!
.
.
Illustration Paper I - Art O Level - 1959 Wed 24th.
Object Drawing Paper III - Art O Level - 1959 Thur 2 July.

Guess what? I passed.

I was torn between what I enjoyed
and what seemed at the time,
the sensible subjects to study.

I opted for Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
Well, that choice got me to university and into a well paid job, but I often wonder what would have happened had I decided to take the ‘arty’ route?


In 1968 I ended up here at Taplow Court,
a 'stately home' next door to Cliveden.
It was the home of
'British Telecommunications Research Ltd.'
.
.
Of course I had to do a picture.
A 'scraperboard' from 1968.

I was there for nearly 20 years.
Perhaps I'll write up about them one day.
.

17 comments:

  1. What fabulous drawings Uncle B. I did enjoy seeing them, you do have a talent for drawing that's for sure, but I knew that when you showed the scenes you had painted on the organ.
    How lovely that your Nan kept that little drawing and that you have it now. My Mum didnt keep anything, but I have all my sons drawings, wobbly little clay pots and a dragon plaque!
    I love to draw, but never mastered perspective.
    Your ilustration of Taplow Court, looks exactly as if it had come from a book.

    ps judging by the upsurge of interest in making proddy rugs, I have no doubt that you could have a thriving little business turning out the necessary hand tools, judging by the reaction to the ones I showed last week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Bernard! Your art is most beautiful. What a blessing and talent you have. Please show us more and do not wait to write about your adventures in art. It is lovely to view, I want to drink more in. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really very good indeed. I know quite a lot of youngsters who have gone off to follow their hearts and are now actors, musicians, dancers... I think nowadays there is less of this attitude of it not being worthwhile if it isn't academic. I might have gone into music or professional crafting if I hadn't been similarly discouraged. I wanted to be a violin maker at one point. Hey, I did actually make one. Subject of a post I think.
    Seriously, those birds are excellent. I see no reason why you couldn't have gone to illustrate bird books and sell paintings too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good evening Uncle B.,
    well sir...i am a bit disapointed......no cats!!..☺..but seriously.... i just love your bird drawings ...that eagle is so great and you did a perfect job on "Taplow Court"...it looks like a picture of the original...so beautiful done!!... take care....groetjes Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, well,well how absolutely fantastic, I think you would have gone far in the world of art and illustration,I think your work is wonderful,what a lovely thing your gran did to keep that..thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Francien said-what, no cats? I'll wager you have some drawings or could do them now. It sounds like an artistic path is where your heart is leading you at this point in life. Go for it! You are too gifted to neglect your God-given talent.
    PS. HOW IS WESLEY?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very talented. You made a career through science and engineering and you are also a very talented artist.

    I would love to have at least one of those skills :-) Both areas which interest me greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all - I don’t want you to think I was ‘showing off’ with these pictures. :)
    This post was about showing my younger family members, what their great uncle B got up to at school. :o

    Hi Kath and thanks.
    I have hardly done any drawing and painting (apart from the organ front), since those early days. I enjoy it but there just isn’t time for everything. :D

    Hello Mary Ellen,
    I’m glad you enjoyed it. That drawing book was full of a school years work.
    I chose those pictures that I thought would be most interesting for this blog.

    Hi Foody,
    “Follow their hearts”. I guess I was ruled by my head and the thought of a well paid job. I always pictured artists sitting in cold attics unable to sell their paintings. I’d love to hear about your violin building - I can’t think of an instrument (wooden) more difficult to construct.

    Greeting Francien,
    Ah, cats. Well there are several things I have tried to draw and failed. One is people. I am no good at all at portraits. The other is animals. I have tried dogs and cats but they all come out a bit wonky. I got good at drawing buildings as I did a load of pub illustrations for “The Good Beer Guide”. I did a blog if I remember, but, when, I don’t recall.
    I may be persuaded to post up a cat picture - I’ll see. :)

    Hi Carole,
    So glad you enjoyed my post.
    Yes, Nan had written on the back ‘By Bernard 1952’.

    Hello Tom,
    Oh yes, I grind the monkey just as well. I have a clip on YouTube of me going through the motions!

    Hi Marilyn,
    As I said above, I am not very good at drawing animals. Yes you are right, I do have a few hidden away, but they are not good enough to publish. There are many people (including a few of my followers) who do much better paintings than me.
    Wesley is fine thanks. He is looking after me - follows me everywhere.

    Hello Cherie,
    My Dad was an engineer and my mother was a musician and an artist (not professional). So you see I inherited a few talents. :)

    Cheers all....B

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pictures are fantastic Bernard - Molly Mithfa, the little Fergie and the birds - they're just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. People work at good paying jobs so they'll be able to retire some day and do the things they really love, like art. Now is your time to do that. Or would be, if you weren't such a busy fellow. I love all your pieces and I hope you'll do some new ones. And I know what you mean about showing the youngsters. They have no idea what interesting, talented people we are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Bernard,
    What a talent you have there. I have a relative - the husband of a great aunt so not a blood relative - who made a living doing illustrations in fish books. His specialty was tropical fish and we have a book called "What Fish is That" that contains his drawings. You bird drawings look to be in that sort of class so perhaps you might have gone down that road but I imagine employment oportunities may have been quite limited.
    Sounds like your working life led you to other oportunities anyway and many and varied interests too which gives you lots of intertests and talents to draw on in the years when you have time to do the things you love and cast off those that you don't.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. The drawings are amazing really beautiful, I wish I had inherited that talent x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good morning Uncle B., would love to see a cat picture and maybe you like to take a look at the last two posts on my blog to see my "zen-tangles"as they are called these days.....have a great Sunday ...groetjes Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Molly,
    I did quite a few little pictures of the lakes in N. Wales. Not very good really, but I was only a teenager.

    Hello Jan,
    That is exactly what I thought all those years ago. I quite enjoyed my job at Taplow, and later jobs weren't all that bad either, except that I had hours of travelling and got home too tired for hobbies.
    Weekends were all I really had.

    Hello Helen,
    Years ago books were widely illustrated, but hand drawn pictures seem to have been taken over now, by photography. The one exception maybe is children's books. I don't think I could have done that. However, about 35 years ago I did try to do some illustrations of scenes from "The Lord of the Rings". This was way before it became popular. I still have them somewhere I expect.

    Hi Amy,
    Thanks, I thought you might like them. When it comes to talent, console yourself with the thought that I can't get, not a single note, out of a flute! (piccolo). xxxx

    Goedemorgen Francien,
    I have seen them. :)
    I liked them very much, especially the owl. They reminded me of an artists work whose name I can't remember. Probably someone like Escher.
    I haven't heard of "zen-tangles", although I like them. :)
    Sunny day here, for a change.
    Cheers...B

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for your comment Bernard...and i am sorry because i am to blame for you not be able to place a comment....i was "working"on my blog changing everything again...therefore i have to go in hotmail and change things..that always takes some time for me to get it wright....one wrong click in there and everything is gone...you are so right about the heksenkrabbeltjes.....i did them way back under my homework exercise book and one teacher always put a big cross true it and wrote "these are no good drawings..you have to stop putting them under your homework"......i am still doing it...no homework anymore but make personal greetingcards with them or under privatletters...
    groetjes hou je taai( take care) Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your drawings Bernard - you are very talented - they remind me of the illustrator Charles Tunnicliffe - now long gone 1979 to be exact - but I have quite a few of his books- one of them being called Shorelands Summer Diary- your scraperboard drawing brought back memories - I used to like having a go at that - mind you I was not as expert as you - are you going to show us your Lord of the Rings drawings? I for one would love to see them - Thanks for sharing - Jane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those drawings are fantastic. Perhaps you should get your sketch pad out again.

    ReplyDelete