Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Boxes of Goodies.

.
I did a post, years back called ‘Little Boxes’.
It was prompted by the song of the same title.
The boxes I was referring to then,
were boxes of things I had that needed restoring.
Today, however, I am prompted by totally different boxes,
in fact parcels.
I will now flip back to just after World War II,
around 1946-7 when I was five, and living at Thackeray Road.
.
Little B at Thackeray.

I can remember a very impressive box that arrived there one day.
It had come from a family in the United States.
When opened, it revealed its precious contents - food!!
Yes, it was a food parcel!
You are going to ask how I could remember this.
Well some things stick in your memory don’t they.
I can remember things from those days better than I can remember phone numbers and even names from yesterday!
And why does it remain a memory?
Because the parcel contained amongst other things, a tin of pineapple.
After all the dull flavours of war rations, this taste, my first taste of pineapple in fact, was something ‘out of this world’.
These parcels were sent over from the US by kind Americans and Canadians who made up boxes of goodies that they thought we might enjoy.
There was a name and address enclosed
and Mom would have written to the family to thank them.
How families were chosen to receive these I have no idea,
but every food parcel being made up, would be different.
I can only remember the pineapple,
but I expect there were other things like tins of ham, sausages, fruit and even tinned cream. Of course there could not be anything fresh as these parcels came over by boat and the journey would have taken weeks.
I vaguely remember a tin of salmon being included but I don’t recall trying it. I bet my Mom polished that off.
She adored salmon.

Back now to December 2011.
This morning at 9:05am I found this in the porch.
.
.
A parcel from California.

It had not taken five weeks to ship, but just over five days!
And on reading the ‘Customs Declaration’ - it contained food!

and was looking out for the postie.
.
.
He rode straight past at eight thirty -
not even a Christmas card today.
This parcel arrived half a hour later by courier.

It was from my blogger pal, Jan,
in Sloughhouse, California
and contained the promised home-made Cookies.
I mailed her straight away to thank her
and to let her know that it was safe
and sound and not just a box of 'Cookie Crumbs!'
.
.
"....boxes of goodies that they thought we might enjoy."

You bet!
Gosh Jan. You have packed those well.
Each Cookie type in its own wee box.
.
.
Chocolate Chip Cookies

and
.
.
Chocolate Cookies

and
.
.
Peanut Butter Cookies.

That, by the way, is Jan's message on the box!
He, he!

And to cap it all, a 'Christmas Pressie'.
.
.
I shall open that nearer Christmas Jan.
Thanks ever so much. {Hugs}

Now as the saying goes -
"The Proof of the Pudding is in the Eating"
.
.
Time for Cookies and coffee.

Mmmmmm.
.
.
Says it all, really!

Many, many thanks. More {hugs}

I popped up all the pictures above so Jan could see that her excellent packing protected all the important contents which all arrived safely.
Not one broken biscuit. (sorry- cookie!).
.
.
PS How long will they keep Jan?
(in a Biccie tin of course).
(Cookie jar?)
.

11 comments:

  1. Lucky you, what a lovely parcel to recieve.Those cookies look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ate BOTH cookies in one session?? ... proof that I'm not greedy after all.

    They do look yummy ... and I love peanut butter, lol.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes me too. I would eat the peanut butter ones over the choccie flavours. One of my blog pals recently sent me some peanut butter toffees!
    I love that photo of little B, what a darling little tank top, I bet it was hand knitted xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Evening Bernard....i would not had to ask Jan for howlong the lovely cookies would keep......they would not last that long...but you had a good time too looking at the empty ( beautiful) plate....from the looks of the cookies they must have tasted great!!..please show us whats in the other package when you have opened it....oh i am such an" nieuwsgierig Aagje" a very curious woman that is....i always take a sneak peak and close the package again and feel bad afterwards....Husband is ok....he has that kind of flue always ones during winter.. strangly mostly after his injection to prevent the flue...the little amount of bacterie who are in there are enough for him to feel bad for a few days.....bad heart...and almost 71...but he`s got lovely help as you could see in my post with the cat on my blog....he never did that before....could not resist to take the picture...thank you for your great comment...so....here we go again...for you are such a good "student"......pas goed op jezelf en alvast hele fijne Kerstdagen!!.....groetjes Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I'm so glad to know that something works, in this case the mail service. People told me the package would arrive in a mess, that the postal inspectors would open everything and leave bite marks when they tasted. Maybe they're too busy for that this time of the year. You can freeze the cookies, of course, and then have a couple around at Christmas to leave on a plate for Santa. I shipped them in freezer bags.

    This is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should have added 2 things to that box, a treat for Wesley and hugs for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'It's getting to feel a bit like Christmas' as the song goes. Bernard thank you for sharing your goodies with us and Jan thank you for the kind thought

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely present to receive, especially from such a great distance and so lovingly packed :-)

    Jan sounds like a wonderful friend, but then of course you are a good friend too :-)

    I hope you will keep us posted on the contents of the Christmas parcel...

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look pretty tasty Bernard. Will it be Anzac biscuits from Oz in April?
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes Doohie, they were - really good!
    even having flown half way round the world!

    Hi Julie,
    Two? Well at first, I put out three on that plate, as Jan had cooked and sent three different types.
    I thought I'll have one of each! :)
    Then I thought "That looks greedy" so I put one back!

    Hi Kath, I have tried all flavours now and the peanut cookies came first - but only just - just by a small 'chocolate chip'!!!!!
    They are all great and.....
    "Naughty but Nice"!

    Hello Francien,
    Those two didn't last long LOL, but in the big box were about 40.
    I didn't actually count them, but I wanted to keep some for after Christmas day. (guess that's Kerstdagen?) I haven't worked out that bit of Dutch. Sounds like...
    "…step good on ??? And meanwhile ??? Fine Christmas day". Ha,ha, I'm not much good, am I?
    I learnt two new words from your blog yesterday...
    "…katten en één poezenbeest…".
    I'm sure I shall find a use for those! LOL
    I have a ginger 'poezenbeest'! :)

    Thanks Jan,
    All safe and sound. Have sent you an email this morning as there is not a lot of space in these comment boxes.
    I have frozen a couple of dozen for later. Thanks for the {hug} and Wesley says he'll be quite happy with a couple of slices of the turkey leg!

    Hello Molly, Thanks for popping over.I do hope you are feeling OK. I was a wee bit upset reading your blog this morning.
    Let's hope things turn out ok and you both get to enjoy Christmas.
    I wish I could share these cookies with you both.

    Hi Helen,
    Yes, very tasty, especially the chocolate ones. Haven't heard of Anzac biccies. I did come across a Australian make called "Arnott". A good old name from Buckinghamshire.

    Cheers all....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to see you were well looked after by your food-loving Blogger Pals!

    ReplyDelete