.
For the first time,
I've managed to be ahead of things this year.
I have in the past always underestimated the time available leading up to Christmas, but not this time.
I bought my M&S Christmas pudding in November (long sell-by date),
even a hunk of cake and mince pies are all safely gathered in!
.
.
I buy M&S because this is one time of the year,
when it is good to have something really nice.
And.....this year, I wrote all my cards early
and posted them all off last Thursday.
Years ago I would buy an assorted box of 30 cards,
but always noticed that I ended up with about half a dozen left which, to be honest, I wouldn’t have sent to my Mother-in-Law!…..No, no, no, sorry. I meant worst enemy.
Either the picture on the front was a bit naff or the words inside a bit sloppy. Sometimes both.
.
.
I now buy Charity packs of six, or sometimes ten,
with identical pictures and words.
After all, if they are going to different address, who is to know?
What did amaze me this year was the breakdown of where all this money goes.
In my case, the largest ‘Christmas donation’ was not to charity,
but to the Royal Mail.
30p for a 2nd class stamp and 39p for a First class.
I don’t see the need for a First class stamp,
as long as you remember to allow enough time.
.
.
But as Pam Ayres says - “you may want to impress you friends”.
Hundredweights of Christmas cards,
Went flying through the post,
With First Class postage stamps on those,
You had to flatter most.
Within a million kitchens,
Mince pies were being made,
On everybody’s radio,
“White Christmas”, it was played.
I read somewhere that “Dreaming of a White Christmas”
was now considered racist!
It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest,
as we now seem to have everything we do monitored.
.
.
Oh may thy Christmas happy be,
And naught but joy appear,
Is now the wish I send to thee,
And all I love most dear.
Anyway back to the cards.
At what point does a Christmas card become charitable?
When 100% of the card price goes to charity?
Or just 70%... or 50%?
.
.
Guess again.
According to the Charities Advisory Trust (CAT),
some retailers selling charity Christmas cards are passing on as little as 1.1% of the card price to the charity mentioned on the back.
Online shops were identified as the worst offenders with over a quarter of internet retailers giving less than 2% to charity.
.
.
The CAT found that many high-street stores had improved since last year.
Most now gave at least 10% to charity.
Waterstones, Marks and Spencer and Debenhams now donate 20%,
while John Lewis gives 25%.
I’m afraid I can’t afford to buy by cards from any of those four.
I better not say how much I paid for my cards - my friends and relations might be reading this!
What I do know,
is that my chosen charity got the smallest slice of the cake.
.
.
Simple daisies I have sent thee,
But they have a golden eye,
And they ever look to Heaven
Even ‘neath a wintry sky.
By now all friends and family will have received theirs,
and now all that remains is to send Christmas Greetings to all my blogger friends and pals.
These greetings are in alphabetical order (Sorry Zoe!),
and I hope I have not left too many out.
(I did worry about this actually and worse still, since uploading onto YT have remembered a few names I should have included.)
I’m sorry about this - I must be getting old and forgetful. It was an accident, I didn’t mean to miss out anyone.
We are all friends here.
So to ALL my blogging friends -
(plays full screen - I hope)
(plays full screen - I hope)
.
.
See you all next year.
Cheers....Bernard and Wesley. xx
.

Good afternoon Bernard...I wish you a wonderful Christmas time and a very happy and healthy new year!!....i will raise a glass or two and will be cheering to you and Wesley on Christmas day and thank you that i am in de video too......you have done a great job there....so have a peacefull time...i`ll be back here next year for sure....MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!...Francien...
ReplyDeleteBless you dear Uncle Bernard, I love it, what a fabulous idea!
ReplyDeleteMerry Chrismas, Cool Yule and all that jazz xx
Bless your little heart. I think that is my favourite, favourite Christmas card. Bernard to you and Wesley have a peaceful, Happy Christmas from Molly & O/H xx
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful Christmas card.. Have a great time x
ReplyDeleteWell dear friend you bought tears to my eyes remembering us,have the most wonderful Christmas,be safe and I look so froward to seeing you here again next year,many blessings from our home to yours.xx(this is by far my most favourite card).
ReplyDeleteDear Uncle Bernard,
ReplyDeleteYou are a true Christmas angel to remember all of us so sweetly and personally. This is a card I shall always remember. I wish I could give you and Wesley a big thank you hug!
Have a happy blessed Christmas and know that you are remembered with love for the joy you bring all year.
Aawww! That was wonderful. Thankyou and a very merry Christmas to you Bernard.
ReplyDeleteWhat a delightful video card :-) the tune is one of my favourtites at this time of year.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a lovely Christmas, looking forward to seeing you again in the new year :-)
Awww Bernard, that was lovely. I really enjoyed it, I'm going to watch it again later.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a truly wonderful Christmas.
all the best
from Julie and Grumpy
Hello Bernard - what a wonderful collection of cards - I am glad to hear that you are so well organised this year - I must admit I do tend to leave things to the last minute and panic like mad! - The cookies in your previous blog look really scrummy - how exciting to have parcels arriving in the post! - I am not able to open your video on my pc tonight - I will try again later - thankyou for the entertaining blogs - Best Wishes Jane
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Bernard, so very kind of you. Hope you and yours have a great christmas, full of peace and joy xx
ReplyDeleteI was told that "Deck the Halls" was not appropriate because of the line "don we now our gay apparel." Good grief. On the plus side, I see people all over the world celebrating Christmas, even countries that have different religions. So the traditions live on, even if our holidays are getting outsourced. What keeps them alive here are wonderful friends like you. Have a warm and comfy holiday.
ReplyDeleteHello again Bernard - I have played back your Xmas message - thankyou so much - love the card - greetings to you and yours over the festive season - Jane
ReplyDeleteWell done Bernard. You are certainly on the ball this year. Thank you for your lovely greeting. I hope you have a lovely Christmas all snug and warm. It sounds like you have the food situation well in hand.
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen & Tony
That was beautiful Bernard, really lovely.
ReplyDeleteWishing you a lovely Christmas and a very happy new year.
I'm so stuffed I can hardly waddle to the computer. I'm stretched out in my recliner chair infront of the TV where the Boxing Day cricket is droning on playing Scabble on my phone!
ReplyDeleteHope you had a nice day too.
I'm not moving much today.. or eating again either ( famous last words ?!!)
Cheers
That was lovely!!! Very touching and very moving. I liked my walking-in-the-snow card. If I had seen that at Christmas I'd have cried buckets and buckets.
ReplyDelete