.
I have to admit that I don't really
know the difference between
a Cockatoo and a Parakeet.
.
.
A little Mantovani number.
I do know that we have quite a lot of
these noisy, but colourful birds
in quite a number of areas,
including Bourne End.
I've been trying for years to get
photographs of them, but as soon as they spot you
they are off!
Just before Christmas I heard their
squawks very close indeed.
In fact they were next door, up in Norman's tree.
.
.
I tried hard to zoom in on them,
but from inside my kitchen
was not the ideal location.
.
.
Opened the back door carefully....
......and they were off like a shot.
Never mind, this below is what
they look like close up.
(Not my photo)
.
.
Monk Parakeets.
Wiki tells me they are also know as
the Quaker Parrots.
So now I have 'Parrots'
'Cockatoos'
&
'Parakeets'
to choose from!
The population in 2011 is believed to be around 150 in the Home Counties. The Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs announced plans to control them to counter the threat to infrastructure, crops and native British wildlife by trapping and re-homing, removing nests and shooting when necessary.
150? Is that all?
There are about 50,
in the Cookham/Bourne End area alone.
I put bird seed out most days in the Winter months.
I scatter it on the ground,
away from the house in an open position.
(Just in case cats are hiding in the hedges.)
Wesley is not in the slightest interested.
He just likes a sit in the sun,
as he did this last Friday.
.
.
...until,
.
.
Someone found my seed.
.
.
"What are you doing in my patch?"
Wow!
What a difference a day makes!
.
.
"Ah, good!" "No ginger cat."
"But shucks! No seed either."
That's because Unc B. was not going to go out
any further than his back door.
I put it on the small table this weekend.
.
.
I noticed all the papers are full of
all this cold and chaos, so for a change,
I have put up a wee video of the garden in Spring.
It serves two purposes.
Firstly, to cheer you all up and
secondly I wanted to remember my
next door neighbour who sadly passed away
in January, aged 80.
.
.
We had been neighbours for twenty years,
almost exactly to the day.
Over those years we used to swap cuttings and plants.
All those red tulips you see above,
are always referred to as "Norman's Tulips".
He dug them up by the bucketful.
He is not forgotten here.
RIP
.



How lovely that you have an everlasting memento to your dear neighbour.
ReplyDeleteI first saw those green birds about 15 years ago, in Hanwell where my Grandparents lived and they are all over West London now. I have also seen them at Coombe hill (Bucks).
Your garden and the birdsong is just gorgeous Uncle B.
Just been for a walk and saw a load attacking some apples left on a tree. I can't see that they are really doing any harm. It's not as if we grow grapes and things like that in England.
DeleteGlad you enjoyed my thrush singing for you. :D
Sorry to hear about your neighbour.
ReplyDeleteYour video did cheer me up, but after hearing the thrush it has made me long for the Spring.
I don't think we have the parakeets here in Yorkshire yet.
No parakeets -
Delete- but lots of fairies. He,he!
Yes, Spring is on its way. It won't be long before we put the clocks forward. :D
Lovely blog again,we have a very similar bush parrot here I see them on my daily mail run,they mate for life apparently and many times I see a careless driver has gone too fast through a flock and one is dead on the road and the partner sadly sitting beside the little limp body,I can be at least 2 hours before I come back and the poor little live one is still sitting there...lovely little creatures they are.
ReplyDeleteOh Carole. What a sad tale.
DeleteI get birds killed by flying into the glass of the windows. They see the reflection of the garden.
I've never noticed a grieving mate. How sad.
Thank you for that lovely video, Bernard. I don't think there's anything on earth as nice as listening to birds singing early morning in April and May. It's been grey, cold and foggy here today.
ReplyDeleteAnd looking at the weather forecast it seems it was really cold up there in Wales last night.
DeleteThanks for your comment on YouTube. I keep forgetting to look there.
Bernard your blog was a pleasure to read- and a fine tribute to Norman - I have not seen a parakeet - I believe several have been seen as far North as Bridgnorth according to local Shropshire birders - Thanks for sharing - Jane UK
ReplyDeleteThanks Jane. I don't know how far "North of Watford Gap" these birds go? It is really strange to see green Parakeets in the snow!
DeleteI saw some yesterday but didn't have my camera with me. :(
A thoughtful tribute to your neighbor. His memory will live on in your garden every Spring.
ReplyDeleteWe don't have any of the pretty little birds in the Southern U.S.
So good to see Wesley on patrol. He looks quite relaxed but alert to the situation before him!
Hi Marilyn, Wesley spends nearly all day indoors when it's cold and snowy. That was an exception because we had a bit of sunshine last Friday.
DeleteWith our experience here in Australia with introduced species wreaking havok on native species, I have to say I agree with removing them before they do any serious harm to your native birds although I know that sounds harsh. I love birds and they are very pretty ones but then some fool thought rabbits were lovely soft fluffy things and brought them into Australia and we are still trying to minimise the damage and get rid of them so they ( the parakeets )need to go, humanely if possible.
ReplyDeleteLoved your little tribute to Norman - and I'm sure he would find it a suitable one too. The garden looked lovely.
Cheers
Hi Helen. I do agree that imported species should not harm the natives. (humans included - if I'm allowed to say it?) :O
DeleteBut, I don't know if these parakeets really do cause any damage (to crops) or harm (to other birds). I get more of a problem with grey squirrels.
They dig up anything and chew everything. Us gardeners have a constant struggle.
I'm told Rabbit Pie is very tasty! :)
It was served up here during the War.
Cheers.
What an exotic place Bourne End is - I've never seen a cockatoo in the wild. A Scottish acquaintance thought she'd seen a green parrot in her garden (this is some years ago) but it turned out to be a green woodpecker. Rehoming the flock of birds? Sounds a bit farfetched to me. Wesley's coat is a fantastic colour in the sunshine - I don't get sun at ground level at all during the winter so the snow will take time to go. No lazing about for Ashley yet...
ReplyDeleteHe was at the very bottom of the garden there Sylve. I still have loads of snow in the shadow of the house. If you want to see loads of Parakeets you have to go nearer London along the Thames. Windsor, Stains and places like Eel Pie Island. They give away their position by the noise they make.
DeleteAw.... that was lovely. Your garden is such a profusion of flowers. Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteNot like that today Foody. I filmed that in the Spring, last year.
DeleteI had no idea that there were Parakeets in the wild in this country. You learn something new every day!
ReplyDeleteThat is a really lovely tribute to your friend :-)
Hi Cherie. I keep telling you that I'm a -
Delete"Mine of useless information." :)
The Parakeets have been here for years now. I don't know how they get enough to eat in the Winter, unless they raid the 'bird-tables'?
We have no feral parrots, but that pair of English doves you identified for me a couple of years ago is now 24. Even in our rural farm neighborhood, birds are not a problem, the farmers have learned that if there's a flock of blackbirds, for example, in the corn field, they need to go examine the crop because the birds are probably there after insects.
ReplyDeleteI love the pictures of Wesley caught in the middle of his bath by that gorgeous pheasant. And I'm so sorry you've lost a good neighbor.
XOX
Were those the 'Tubby Doves'?
DeleteHaving a bathe under your garden sprinkler. Ha,ha. 24 eh!
That is one of mine in the tree at the end of that video clip. They nest in my garden every year. We call them 'Collared Doves'.
A rare glimpse of Wes outside!
He's tucked up in the warm most days. He can't wait for the Summer sun.
Comment found in the press said:-
ReplyDelete"As recent arrivals I am surprised that they are not being offered all the largest and best bird houses that the British tax payer can afford, not to mention immediate access to free translation services, veterinary care and a generous seed allowance for life. They might also qualify for citizenship and the chance to disenfranchise the native species at the next election."
I like it! Ha,ha,ha!
Uncle B. You are a shocker!
DeleteOodles of them Dahn 'ere in 'ampshire Bernard the bird fancier, and even more than that at Frensham ponds just dahn the road:)
ReplyDeleteI'll have to tell Sylvie then, she says she's never seen one.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure that 150 figure is 'way off the mark'.
Bernard, you have been missing for a while. Are you alright?
ReplyDeleteYes thanks,
Delete"All present and correct!"
Well - Wes and I are. :)
Oh, good. That was all!
ReplyDelete