.
Hose pipe bans again?
It must be that time of the year I guess.
We are continually told that it is due to lack of rainfall, but I recon it is more likely due to an increase in the population, especially here in the south east of England. I expect we will all be asked, in a week or two, to ‘share a bath’ or more likely ‘share a shower’.
.

.
There is actually a ‘Share a Shower’ campaign with Facebook pages. (whatever that means?).
Way back in the ‘good old days’, sharing baths and using second-hand bath water was quite normal. In the late 40’s, early 50’s most people were a bit hard up and it cost quite a few bob to use the immersion heater to fill a bath. Friday night was bath night and us three boys all piled in together. I was the eldest and as I grew larger there was not room for three so my two brothers were washed first and I had their second hand water!
The Great Western Railway had an engine named “The Knight of the Bath”.
This was always nicknamed “Friday Night” by the engine drivers.
So where is all this leading?
.
.
Well, I was going to do a post on ‘Bubbles’ as in ‘I’m forever blowing bubbles’ but found I had already done one here.
.
.
Two and a half years ago! How time flies.
You see, on sorting out all my old photos I had come across a picture of a wee carving I had done of a seahorse. It was done in about 1976 and I gave it away to my then ‘girl of the month’ who thought it really nice. It didn’t have a stand and she asked it I could make one with the words ’Oh Bubbles’ on the base.
The things us chaps have to do to keep you ladies happy.
.

.
I was glad I found the picture - it brought back happy memories.
And there were even more memories of those days as I sorted out my collection of old LP’s. To make more room, I am gradually converting them to CD’s and giving the old records to the charity shops (and brothers to sell on eBay).
Some of these discs haven’t been ’given a spin’ for thirty years, but of course sounded as good as new. The one that did make me smile and gave me the idea for todays wee video was Meri Wilson singing ’Rub-a-dub-dub, two in a tub’.
.
.
See, there were even water shortages way back in 1977.
As children the words used to be along the lines of -
“Rub-a-dub-dub,
Three men in a tub,
And who do you think they be?
The butcher, the baker,
The candlestick-maker,
All put out to sea.”
So, here we go, for your entertainment and maybe approval, Meri Wilson singing ’Rub-a-dub-dub’.
Any resemblance to Uncle B in the following is pure coincidence.
(Oh yes, and no blowing it up to full size for a better view!)
.
.
He,he,he.
.

We all used the same tin bath when I was at home many years ago.
ReplyDeleteMy Dad used to get it in from it's spot where it used to hang on the outside wall and then the copper was filled with water to heated for the bath.
We all used to use the same water, little ones first ending with Dad parting the scum that had acumulated on the top. Then Dad used to bail some of the water out into the sink and walk the bath, end up across to the back door and empty the rest down the stairs into the garden. lol
We didn't get a proper bath until 1964 and even then it was in the kitchen with a top on.
Not sure how people would survive now if they had to live like we did then.
Good old days, or were they?
Briony
Good old days? Well, we were happy then, as we knew no different. I lived in a 'Cadbury house', built by Cadbury's for the employees, and all had bathrooms. I remember the 'tin baths'. We played in those as kids. Pretend boats.
DeleteI remember that coal miners used to have their bath in front of the kitchen fire filled with hot water off the range.
We're all getting soft I guess.
Cheers.....Bernard
I take it that is you in the last scene? I was thinking maybe a baby picture of yours was coming.
ReplyDeleteIs that Wesley being showered? It's hard even to tell if it's a cat or a dog, it's so soaked.
Liked the ducklings and haven't we seen the lady with her chicken before?
Well, it was certainly an out-of-the-ordinary post, Bernard!
These days everybody thiinks they have to bath their children every night and have to shower themselves every day. What a load of nonsense. I'm sure all the dirt keeps you warmer!
Moi?
DeleteMaybe it is and maybe it isn't! (As you used to say) :)
No it's not Wes although it is a cat.
One that likes water obviously.
I didn't like to say about not showering every day, in case my friends started avoiding me! :(
But unless the weather is very hot or you are very dirty - a lot of it is unnecessary - every day.
I once knew someone who showered twice a day! Can't make rules about it. Each to her(his) own.
Cheers......B.
Fabulous blog Bernard,being a country girl I can remember the washing being done in the machine first then the water put into the tub for our baths this was in drought time and the old Pope washing machine heated the water too .This was for Bob and me when i was small it was water heated in the copper over a wood fire and then a dipper was used to put it into a tin tub,it was fun and we thought it wasgreat as we knew no different,and we used to get so dirt from our play,these days it does not seem our grandchildren get very dirty ,it is not hard play with all the electronics!
ReplyDeleteGosh, you had the dirty water after the washing? It should have been the other way round. :)
DeleteAlthough in those days, we had a weekly bath, we were always being sent up to the bathroom to -wash your hands - wash your knees - wash your neck! In fact, I remember having to go and have a 'neck inspection' before we were allowed to watch TV.
Hello Uncle B,
ReplyDeleteWhen we lived in Nevada recently, there were water restrictions as the supply depended on the amount of snow fall in the mountains in the winter. Water was not automatically served in restaurants unless requested and those who felt they HAD to have a green lawn (in the desert) could only water for a certain amount of time on certain days. There were water watchers who reported the people who abused the rules! I suppose it is still the same today.
That song is great and your production is hilarious. I've already played it twice.
Hope you and Wesley are having a lovely Spring. Marilyn
We have rules, like no hoses to wash cars, but no 'water watchers'. They rely on 'not-so-friendly' neighbours reporting them! A bit sneaky. :(
DeleteGlad you enjoyed that song. I had great fun putting it together and tying to get the right pictures in the right places. Wes is out in the sunshine as I write. Cheers.
OH,
ReplyDeleteI am daft today so forgot to say how charming the seahorse is that you carved for that lucky lady!
Thanks Marilyn. I do wonder where it is today. I wonder if she kept it? :)
DeleteOr took it to the charity shop. :(
I remember the drought in 1977. We lived on a housing estate at the time. The washing up water, bath water and practically everything else was re-cycled and they used to go round looking who's lawn was green and then it was 'by heck!'
ReplyDeleteAmazing things lawns.
DeleteMine went completely brown; all dry and crunchy! :(
When it finally rained - all the bl**dy water ran straight orf!
But, in time it recovered.
Amazing. :)
I'd like to know, did you call her Bubbles, or maybe that was her pet name for you? :-)
ReplyDeleteNow - you have got me there. :D
DeleteI can't remember where the name came from. It wasn't a pet name for either of us. Vicky used to give names to most things. Her car was called 'Blossom' for some strange reason. :)
I remember the drought of 1977 too. I remember the first few rain drops and the shriek of joy from the pub down the road.
ReplyDeleteLast summer in Shropshire we hardly had any rain at all...
As well as an increase in population, I think as a nation we have become more wasteful where water is concerned.
Love the video :-)
I too remember running out into the rain, although perhaps not shrieking for joy. It had been five weeks here without a drop. I had virtually no garden then. You know - just a postage stamp!
DeleteHow I would manage now, heaven knows, although I do have five water butts collecting water from the roof. All full as I speak :) That's 40 galls x 5.
200 gallons on standby. :)
I don't remember if we ponged or not. :) There was of course lots of washing necks,knees etc. every day. It must had been difficult for our mothers to keep all our clothes clean. Only a boiler and the sink in those days. And do you remember the old clothes-horse in front of the fire? Yes times have changed. :)
ReplyDeleteYou are remarkable. Saving all of those photos, records, and sheet music is one thing, but putting them together in a little vignette is extraordinary. I loved the kitty in the shower! Really cute.
ReplyDeleteHi Myrna. I have always been one for keeping things. Not only old photos, records, books and music, but also bits of wood, bits of metal - it's a "just in case I might need it" situation. I hope to downsize to a smaller house so I am on a massive 'spring clean'.
DeleteTrust me, downsizing only means you don't have enough room for your stuff! The "just in case" things just come with you. My husband is like you, but it seems like its only MY things that get given away or thrown out!
DeleteI know what you mean Myrna, but, I am trying to be a bit more ruthless this time. I keep telling myself - "If I haven't used/needed some item in 20 years! I don't really need to keep it."
DeleteHello Bernard
ReplyDeleteYour blog has brought back memories we had a tin bath back home - and now we have two yellow ducks sitting on the side of the bath -what a postcard collection you have - I like the water sounds especially the water going down the plug at the end - enjoy your day - Jane
Luckily I never had to use a tin bath. It must have been a huge job to bale out all that water at the end. I made all those bubbles with 'washing-up liquid' and the shower hose on full. The sound was actually part of the record, I just added the plug-hole! :)
DeleteThank you so much dear friend for all your kind wishes. Things here have greatly improved and Dad has bounced back amazingly well. I'm sure there is more ahead as he is 90 after all but for now all is well.
ReplyDeleteRecently, when we were experiencing a 10 year drought, our local council issued us with timers for the shower. You were supposed to set the egg timer when you stepped into the shower so that you would only shower for 3 minutes! putting up the cost of water was a much more effective way of making up watch our water usage!!!
At the moment we are having a wet season where it rains every day and everything is getting mouldy in the heat and humidity. Seems we're never happy!!
Cheers
Some get little rain, some get too much. 'Twas ever thus.
DeleteIn the SE England we never seem to get our fair share. I gave up growing 'thirsty' plants in the garden years ago. When I was put on a water-meter, I had to be more careful of what I used or 'pay the cost'. It is nice to only pay for what you use, but you have to be careful not to leave any taps dripping! :(
Cheers....B.
When I was a very small person - until the age of six - we used a tin bath in front of the fire. All week that bath hung on a hook outside the back door, come Friday night it was fetched on and half filled - gradually - with something approaching warm water.
ReplyDeleteI remember sharing the bath - sometimes - with my dad (I did find certain things, ahem, interesting).
Most of my fun was having to bathe twice because our Golden Labrador licked all the soap and bubbles off me the first time I got out, ensuring I was sent back in again and rinsed properly by my mum.
The happiest of days ...
Hi Julie, I guess I was lucky to avoid the 'tin bath' and the 'warm water' treatment. My Great Gran had a tin bath outside on a nail in the fence, but my Gran (where I was born) had a bath room. When I was four we moved into a 'Cadbury' house and all the houses in Bournville were provided with bathrooms. It was still a 'once a week' event though for us lads. Cost of heating up the water by electric I guess. What I do remember though - is that bathrooms were bloody freezing in those days.
DeleteNow Bernard, it doesn't always rain in Scotland! Honest. Our gardens are dry as well lol
ReplyDeleteI know it doesn't really. I look the bbc forecast every morning and they of course show the whole country. It looks as if you are going to get snow today/tomorrow?
DeleteToday we have had high winds! Snow! Sleet! Rain! Only thing missing sunshine,grrrrrrrrrr
DeleteWhen I took my kids to the UK many years ago ( my daughter -5 and two sons 10, 11) they must have been sharing water when we were staying with relatives, because daughter can only remember one thing about the entire trip. Son, concerned the water would be cold by the time it was his turn, told her to get out of the bath because if she didn't she would turn into an old lady, and look, her fingertips were starting first - were going old and wrinkly already.
ReplyDeleteWhat a saucy old song on the video. Fun!
Lovely post.
Hi Katherine, Us boys stayed in the water for long periods playing with our model boats. If the water got cold it was topped up with a 'bit of hot'.
DeleteGlad you enjoyed that song. It was from 1977. I kept all my old records from that era.
Cheers....Bernard
So i'm a nerd eh Bernard. Lol. ;-)
ReplyDeleteWe were telling one of the ladies in the building society a few weeks ago about geocaching, she had never heard of it so was going to google it that night. Well we heard she had ended on a porn site lol goodness knows how she had spelt it. And yes, you are a muggle lol
See below. :)
Delete*calling loudly* BERNARD !!!!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's dry in Ayr, but beep beep cold ! ;-)
I wasn't referring to you Ann. I was simply pointing out that I'm 'old fashioned' and don't understand all hi-tec jargon.
DeleteI thought a 'muggle' was a little beaker used for hot drinks! lol
Cold Ayr blowing around your nether regions? I guess you need tartan thermal undies!!!
Aye Bernard - I shared a bath with my sister when I was a wee lassie (in the 50's) so I enjoyed reading your rub-a-dub-dub posting with your usual lighthearted approach. I noticed you had a a posting from 'ANN' who lives along the road from me in Ayr - isn't that a small world?! I didn't know about Geocaching so that's a new one on me. I remember we did stuff like that many years ago in our car and it was called a car rally (not what I would have called a car rally, really, but that's what the organiser's called it).
ReplyDeleteThanks as always to you for being so nice. It's good to be back in touch again. xx
Hi Mrs S. Thanks for popping over. :)
ReplyDeleteWe too used to have those rallies.
They were also called 'Treasure Hunts'. I can't see people today having car rallies with petrol being £1.40/l.
I enjoy putting pictures to songs. I have others up on YouTube. If you look under my list of 'Labels' there is one (@ bottom) call YouTube. That takes you to other vids. Not as funny as this one though.
Cheers.....B
Great blog Bernard, I'll be working my way through it - slowly !
ReplyDeleteAwrrr, thanks Wean, but you really don't have to work through it!
ReplyDeleteJust go up to 'Labels' on the right,
and click on 'Cats again' or 'Food', and you may find a few snippets to interest you?
Cheers...Bernard & Wesley (my Tomcat)
*shouting Bernard again*. It has been a beautiful day in Ayr, sun out and a load of washing out on the line. ;-)
ReplyDelete*calling Bernard *. Ok. The rain has just come on.
ReplyDeleteI can just visualise you - putting out the washing - then rushing out to get it all in again. Putting it out again - getting it all in once more. :o
DeleteWe are having showers here too. :)
I don't think we will be having a hosepipe ban after the storm we've just had. (30-4-2012) It started yesterday and has just cleared now at 9.00pm No thunder but the wind was horrendous and many fences has fallen.
ReplyDeleteIt's the wettest drought ever!
We have a ban here - Thames Water.
DeleteAnd talking of the Thames - the water level was quite high yesterday. "Water, water everywhere" - but all in wrong places at the wrong time!
My friend and 'follower', Sylve,
http://greatgrandmashotchpotch.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/storm-damage-in-garden.html
has her fence down. She lives near Aylesbury.
AT LAST!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThis is the millionith (!!) time Ive tried to leave a comment but couldn't because of those awful words you have to fill in.They were always rejected and now they've gone.
Thank goodness for that.
I turned them off as nearly everyone, including me, was having trouble. Thanks for trying. :)
DeleteGlad you got through. :)
Bernard........
ReplyDeleteBernard.......................... Sunny Scotland. ;-)
Brilliant as ever. You put me to shame!
ReplyDelete