Monday, 11 June 2012

“Measure twice, cut once.”

.
A few of you may have noticed a teeny weeny ‘technical’ bit that I contributed to ‘Kath the Quilter’s blog. It was all about measuring an angle of fifteen degrees. I’m sorry that I may have confused a few ladies (and gentlemen), but these mathematical calculations are an every day  occurrence to us engineers. I was good at trigonometry at school and loved anything mathematical. This is a rather unusual piece of marquetry I did as teenager.
.

.
All made from thin wood veneers. I worked to a published plan, 
so I can’t claim it was my design.

Now days if  I am given an engineering problem in the workshop, I sit down and work it all out on paper first. I then work it out a second time, just to be sure. 
My old woodwork master at school used to say, “Measure twice, cut once.”
I’m sure that could also prove true before cutting out quilt materials?
.

A part of my collection of woodworking rules.
.
Well today I thought that I had better make amends for all this serious stuff and do one of my ‘light-hearted’ posts, just to prove that mathematics and engineering have a funny side too.
  
Here’s a tale for you.

Once upon a time, three Red Indian squaws who were expecting their first children went to the tribe's Medicine Man for a blessing.
He said to the first squaw: "You must obtain the hide of a buffalo and give birth lying on it".
To the second he said : "You must obtain the hide of a bear and give birth lying on it".
To the third he said : "You must obtain the hide of a hippopotamus and give birth lying on it".
After they'd all had their papooses, the first two squaws felt that the third squaw was more blessed because she'd had twins.
They went to the Medicine Man to complain about the blessing, but he said to them : -
"I thought everybody knew that the squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sum of the squaws on the other two hides".


This is of course only amusing to those of you who remember from their school days, that the “square of the hypotenuse, is equal to the sum of the squares on the other two sides.”

Groans all round I guess?  This is how one schoolboy found ‘x’!
.

.

But seriously, angles can be interesting.

It was in fact my mother, believe it or not, that got me interested in cutting precise angles. In the 50’s with just us three boys, things had to be shared out equally to avoid any arguments and fights. You know the sort of thing; “Aw, he’s got a bigger piece than me.” Well, Mom used to give us a knife and say, one of you can cut the cake up, and the others can have first choice of the pieces!
I promise you that I can, still to this day, divide things into a precise number of pieces.
I can still take piece of wood, and cut it into say three or five perfect pieces without a rule.   

.
And some metalworking rules.
.
I have to admit that I passed all my Maths papers at O level and A level, but I did start to struggle a bit when studying engineering at university. 
Boy was it hard! No cutting cake into equal segments there! 

I remember one day hearing about these two engineering students who were cycling across the university campus when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?" The second engineer replied, "Well, I was walking along yesterday, minding my own business, when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike, threw it to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, "Take what you want." 
The first engineer nodded approvingly and said, "Good choice; the clothes probably wouldn't have fitted you anyway."
.

Wonderful old bike!
.

All engineering graduates just love mechanical things.

That is not to say that there were not other things in our curriculum.
We did manage to find time for ‘liquid refreshment’ of course, but even then, we were not detached from engineering.
You see,
To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
But to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

But as you can imagine, after a ‘few jars’ of Mitchell & Butlers best, anything could happen. 
.

.
"Oh! Go on! Give us a kiss."

In those days many a good tale was told in the ‘Slug & Lettuce’.
I had an engineering friend on my course, who recalled how he was crossing the Bristol road one day, when a frog called out to him and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess." He bent over, picked up the frog, and put it in his pocket. The frog spoke up again and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn back into a beautiful princess and stay with you for one week." My mate took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to the pocket. The frog then cried out, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess, I'll stay with you for one week and do anything you want." Again, he took the frog out, smiled at it and put it back into his pocket. Finally, the frog asked, "What is the matter? I've told you I'm a beautiful princess and that I'll stay with you for one week and do anything you want. Why won't you kiss me?" My friend said, "Look, I'm an engineer. I don't have time for a girlfriend, but a talking frog, now that's cool.

So here I am today, a garden full of frogs and hedgehogs, a workshop full of angles, tools and machinery and not a ‘girl’ in sight!

Which reminds me, talking of ‘girls & sight‘.
The other day I was coming back up the road from the shops, with a ‘chicken motive’ tie I had bought for 50p from the local Hospice shop, when I saw this glass eye fall from a window above.
I just managed to catch it before it smashed on the pavement. I looked up to see where it came from, just in time to see a young woman looking down.  
"Is this yours?" I asked. She said, "Yes, could you bring it up?" So of course, as she couldn’t see very well, I agreed. 
After puffing up a flight of stairs, she was profuse in her thanks and she offered me a drink. As she was very attractive, I agreed. Shortly afterwards she said, "I'm about to have dinner. There's plenty; would you like to join me?" 
As I was a near-starving-pensioner, I readily accepted her offer and we both enjoyed a lovely meal. As the evening was drawing to a close the lady said, "I've had a marvellous evening. Would you like to stay the night?" 
Of course I hesitated, I had Wesley to feed, so I said, "Do you act like this with every man you meet?" 

"No," she replied, "only those who catch my eye."
.


.

Well by now you must be thinking that poor old Uncle Bernard has gone completely ‘off his trolley’. 
You could be right, but don’t forget it takes one, to recognise one, or so I believe?

But, during my last visit to my  doctor, I asked him, 
"How do you determine whether or not an older person should be put in an Care Home?"
"Well,"  he said, "we fill up a bathtub, then we offer a teaspoon, a  teacup and a bucket to the person to empty the bath."
"Oh, I understand," I  said. "A normal person would use the bucket, because it is bigger than the spoon or the teacup." 

 "No" he said. "A normal  person would pull the bath-plug out!

And, then calmly handed me an application form!

And talking of trolleys, this is what I have been making this last week.
.

.
A super-dooper four wheeled Organ trolley with pneumatic tyres!

(And yes, the handle is/was an old 'rolling-pin.)
.

25 comments:

  1. Maybe I met the wrong kind of engineers - but none of the ones I used to know would think the glass was too big! (They used to maintain bridges - I guess they're a special sort. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning AJ.
      Now civil engineers are a different 'breed'. They like big chunky structures and express measurements in 1000's of tons or tonnes, and millions of gallons or litres. I supped my beer in smaller quantities. :)
      Thanks for dropping in.
      Cheers....B

      Delete
  2. well the jokes don't get any better, but you're SO right when you say "I’m sure that could also prove true before cutting out quilt materials?". You ave no idea how many mistakes I have made through faulty maths. My brain just doesn't seem to work that way! It interests me that you are logical as well as artistic, not many people have both skills.

    I love that trolley, (especially the handle), I can't help thinking my son would have loved it and spend hours taking his toys (and his pals) for rides.
    My Dad made him something similar, on a much smaller scale, filled with hand made wooden blocks. I have kept it, for the time I might have Grand children of my own :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kath. I'm sorry about the jokes, but I only resort to this type of blogging when there is no other news. :D
      I have in the past made a few mistakes. I now ask myself - do I really want to go back and start all over again? - of course not.
      So, I slow down and check before I start machining or cutting.
      That is quite a 'chunky' trolley as it has to carry the organ. To check it was ok I have sat on it myself! Seems strong enough. :D
      Cheers...Unc B

      Delete
  3. Your jokes are naughty but nice Uncle B - they made me laugh. You could publish a joke book. The marquetry you did is fantastic - very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly.
      I couldn't really publish a joke book, they are not original. They are off the web. :o
      I have noticed that marquetry has gone out of fashion. When I was a lad things like fretwork and marquetry were quite popular. I have other marquetry pictures still knocking around somewhere. I must give them a polish.
      Cheers....B

      Delete
  4. Hello Bernard - glad to see you are still being very inventive and thanks for reminding us of that Pythagoras theory!! - glad to hear that you remembered poor Wesley's supper and kept your eye on the ball - take care Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane. I don't suppose many people use Pythagoras after they have left school. We learnt loads of things way back then, that I have never found a use for in 'real' life.
      In truth, Wes has his 'supper' at four o'clock if I'm around then!
      Cheers....B

      Delete
  5. Nice to see you back, Bernard, and in such good form. Not being at all mathematical it's a marvel to me that anyone could make anything cut in wood fit with its companion parts. One thing about using recycled material for quilting is - there's plenty of it to have a second try if you make a mistake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sylve.
      Marquetry is usually done by cutting out one piece to the pattern with a slight overlap. When this place on the adjoining part it is possible to cut through both pieces. When the waste is removed the top piece will drop exactly to match the bottom piece. That's the theory at least!
      Nearly all the wood I used in building the organ and that both trolleys, is recycled wood. I have collected stacks from old wardrobes and dressing tables. Usually oak and mahogany, but sometimes even walnut.
      Take care.....B

      Delete
  6. Go right to the top of the class Bernard for that posting lol One of our sons in law is an engineer I think he would apprieciate the "squaw" joke, very funny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann. Top of the class eh?
      I used to be 'top of the class' in Art and Woodwork. I did well in Science and Maths - but failed miserably in French, German and even English. I was so bad at French & German that I wasn't even allowed to take O-level. :(
      I'm glad to hear you are one of my 'happy followers'. :)
      Cheers...B

      Delete
  7. Maths! :o(
    Another great post, Bernard. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doohie,
      I have always believed that people don't like maths because they are taught correctly. If it was explained with real life amusing situations it might be more appealing?
      Thanks for being a 'fan' :)

      Delete
  8. I do so struggle with maths, I wish my brain could cope so easily with it.

    I do love those rules and tapes in the second photo. My Dad had some very similar instruments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning CherryPie.
      Some of those wooden rules were my Dad's. Some I have had for fifty years and some have been collected from car-boot sales.
      All those metal working tools are second hand. Many have the original owners name engraved on them.
      Cheers....B :)

      Delete
  9. Heck, Bernard, you are full of it today! What HAVE you been drinking/eating? It's a truly magnificent piece of marquetry even if you didn't actually design it.
    Do you use a protractor to cut up pies? Or do it by eye (pie-eyed?!!!)
    And what on earth is a chicken-motive tie?? Ahhh... you mean 'motif' I think. It had chickens on it. Please let us see!
    Excellent trolley too. What a talented, clever old so-and-so you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Foody.
      I had done several traditional marquetry pictures before that one. This was unusual and I quite fancied doing something different. :)
      Ha,ha! Yes. Pies were cut
      'by eye'.
      If you had clicked on that link on the second line (Kath) you would have spotted the tie. :o
      I thought 'motif' was singular?
      As the tie had dozens of chickens on it,I used 'motives'.
      As in 'hoof' and 'hooves'! :)
      (that's my excuse anyway)
      I'm sure you're correct. I failed English o-level twice you see. :(
      Glad you noticed how I modified that trolley to carry the organ. Now I don't know what do do with the sides I didn't need?
      Cheers....B

      Delete
  10. I love how the snarky math student found "x".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha,ha. We really have some bright students these days?
      By the way, I hope you approve of my 'Cookie Policy'? See top right-hand of blog. :)
      Your delicious, famous cookies. :)
      (I still have a couple left in the freezer) :O

      Delete
  11. Hope it's still fashionable to be late - it's me with the kilt and umbrella, Bernard! Hubby used to say measure twice - cut once (and as you know he, too, was an Engineer). My brother-in-law who was a joiner also used the same adage. I enjoyed dressmaking and homecrafts at one time and got into the same habit thanks to hubby so it applies in all walks of life doesn't it. Hubby also used the you cut/you choose for our two boys - it stopped greediness and unnecessary bickering. Nice bit of reminiscing for me there.

    Your marquetry is fantastically amazing, and so beautiful. I wouldn't mind a floor like it! xx I'm sure quite a few of us could probably make use of that beautiful 'rolling pin trolley' - hahaha - amazing. Use what you have and you'll never want.

    Gotta say though, your woodraft is much better than your jokes, but I really did enjoy them.

    From what I read you knows how to whittle away his time usefully. I'll need to take a copy from your jotter - I'm not producing - just whittling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mrs S.
      My workshop is full of old bits of furniture and discarded wooded items. (like the rolling pin).
      I have things like old bread-boards, chopping boards, in fact anything made in good solid wood.
      I buy these bits from boot-sales, but have also been known to climb into a skip to heave out an old mahogany dressing-table. The organ, and the trolley above are both made from 90% recycled wood. It's actually better seasoned than new stuff.
      I know the jokes are a wee bit naff, but I pop them in when I'm stuck for blog ideas.
      Cheer....B xx

      Delete
  12. Your jokes were great Bernard - I was teasing you. A former boss of mine used to raid skips and his motto was, "A piece of wood today, a shelf tomorrow.". xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. So much to comment on, in one fabulous post, Bernard! But I'll restrict myself to a compliment on your beautiful marquetry. It reminds me of an 'Escher' painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine.
      Now you come to mention it is a bit Escher. Of course when I did that, I hadn't heard of him. I did a blog about some of his designs - it was probably two years ago now.
      This is a problem for me, as I have over 700 blogs back there and can never find anything.
      Cheers....Bernard.

      Delete