.
Do you know - (OK, a silly question - of course you don‘t) - that I have probably spent the best part of the last twenty years trying to lose weight?
It must have been around 1992 when I went the quacks because I had rediscovered the delights and problems that I had had as a child - namely asthma. My poor Granddad suffered terribly, and I can remember him puffing away in the wood shed on so called ‘Asthma cigarettes’ and probably making things worse for him.
.
![]() |
| A Smoking Gradpa toy. |
I guess that asthma, like our long noses, must have ‘run’ in the family, as without fail, after a compulsory ‘cross-country’ five mile run, I would be off school for at least two days, wheezing and puffing and forced to inhale, from under a tea-towel, a hot vapour, known in those days as ’Friar’s Balsam’.
Of course, as a child I had visions of this sly monk brewing up a foul mixture in this vast iron pot in a remote monastery way down in the West Country. Later in life, maybe ten years later, I was to enjoy a totally different and most pleasurable liqueur from a monastery, not in Devon, but from Normandy in France, known as Benedictine.
The brew from the Devon Benedictine Abbey was just a ‘tonic wine’.
Never mind, still a good reason to enjoy a visit to the Abbey in Buckfastleigh, Devon.
A travelling friar named Phipps,
Called at Heaven on one of his trips.
He quickly sold God
Ten penn’orth of Cod,
And St. Peter - two penn’orth of chips!
Enough of tonics, back to foul medicine.
For asthma, there was also this horrid concoction called ‘Liqufruta’ tasting of liquorice (which I love) and garlic which, (thanks to ‘Liqufruta Garlic Cough Medicine’) I cannot bear to this day. (Sorry ladies.)
.
![]() |
| True! It's used for killing Vampires! |
.
Another ‘smelly’ thing Mom used on us was Vick. It was supposed to ‘open the nose’ and ‘sooth the throat’, but we boys could never understand why it was rubbed on our chests?
.
.
Pam Ayres was also a devotee -
I’m sitting on the sofa,
By the fire and staying in,
Me head is free of comfort
And me nose is free of skin.
Me friends have run for cover,
They have left me pale and sick
With me pockets full of tissues
And me nostrils full of Vick.
I expect it all helped, but strange as it might seem, after getting into my teens and enjoying cider, girls, beer, real ale and more girls, the ‘tight-chest-iness’ (and choir-boy voice) disappeared.
So for thirty years from then, I had been ‘wheeze-free’ and Doc free. **
**(As an aside, and this is perfectly true, I had been down here in Bucks for nigh on thirty years, and my registered Doctor had been a hundred miles away back in Kings Norton! The anomaly was discovered when my dear old Dad went to see Dr. McCulloch, and he enquired as to how ‘young’ Bernard was, as he not seen him for some time. Dad of course revealed my whereabouts and it was then that I then had to register with a local doctor.)
.
.
Doctors, dentists and checkups; not something I actually look forward to.
I went for my routine check-up last Tuesday and everything seemed to be going fine until he stretched on a surgical glove and stuck his index finger up my backside!
Woops, I thought. It’s about time I found myself a new dentist!
But seriously, I did receive a good, but unwelcome, check-up.
And I thought I was Doc free!
But all good things come to an end.
Doc did give me an ‘inhaler’, BUT he also checked my heart, my liver and my triglycerides, my blood pressure and my credentials, all my bits & pieces and cholesterol levels as well.
I was caught, ‘Hook, line and sinker.’
Once ‘they’ have got you they never let go!
So now in addition, I also take these blood-pressure pills, water-pills and things called Statins!
I was also then instructed to lose weight.
Then, when I told him I couldn’t stop singing
'The Green, Green Grass of Home',
he said I probably had ‘Tom Jones Syndrome‘.
.
.
"Is it common?" I said.
“Well,” he replied,
"It's Not Unusual."
A low fat diet was called for, I was told.
Well, I’ve been on skimmed milk (0.1% fat) for 20 years now. Haven’t lost an ounce!
I don’t use butter or any other ‘spreads’. Haven’t lost an ounce!
.
.
I don’t eat any cakes, sweets, choccies or biscuits. (except of course Jan’s Cookies).
And - you’ve guessed. Haven’t lost an ounce!
No chips or fried foods, in fact, years ago I actually gave away my frying pan.
And drink? They always ask you about that don’t they?
“Let me see your hands.” the doctor said. “Mmm, they are a bit shaky.“
“Do you drink much?”
“No,” I said. “I spill most of it.”
And then of course he asked about smoking and exercise.
Well, I have never smoked.
No, never.
“What never?” He enquired.
No! Not never.
“Not ever?”
(Sounds a wee bit Gilbert & Sullivan here.)
Well, maybe years ago on a wee pipe that I bought in Austria.
.
.
But not for the last forty years.
However, when I was a lad smoking was not considered bad for you. In fact there were these adverts like this one encouraging it to help you lose weight.
.
.
“And exercise?” He enquired.
Well, every morning I begin by standing on a comfortable surface where I have plenty of room at each side. Then with a 5 lb potato bag in each hand I extend my arms straight out from my sides and I hold them there as long as I can. I try to reach a full minute and then I relax..
As each day passes, I find that I can hold this position for just a bit longer. After a couple of weeks I move up to 10 lb potato bags.
I then try 50 lb potato bags and eventually I try to get to where I can get to lift a 100 lb potato bag in each hand and hold my arms straight for more than a full minute.
Eventually, once I’ve mastered this, I feel confident to put a potato into each bag.......
Still haven’t lost an ounce.
So he suggest I try a Mediterranean diet.
Now this looks a really interesting diet, apart from the garlic! (Thanks to that ‘aversion therapy’ from Liqufruta.)
Pasta, olive oil, tomatoes, peppers and wine!
(And always avoid the - miles from the Mediterranean,
really-bad-for-you, high-calorie Yorkshire Pudding.)
It said preferably drink red wine as it contains anti-oxidants.
Now I know for a fact, that I have loads of ‘oxidants‘.
I get them behind the ears, under the arms and around the crutch!
At last I have a cure - Red Wine.
So, last Wednesday I was in Sainsbury’s buying up some bottles of Chianti, Bardolino and Montepulciano….
Some lovely ‘oily’ fish, and not forgetting, a few red peppers and some olive oil.
.
.
And home grown tomatoes and courgettes.
Word must have got around as when I got home, there were these two women at the door, doing a survey on weight loss.
They asked what bread I ate, when I said white they gave me a lecture on the benefits of brown bread for a whole 30 minutes!
I think they were just Hovis Witnesses.
.
.
Make ‘light’ of all your troubles,
and may all your ‘weight problems’ be little ones!
Salute!
.
.






Ha. Another lovely chuckle-inducing post from you.
ReplyDeleteI have a friend who is on cholesterol-reducing tablets. When he takes some butter he looks at me and says 'it gives my tablets something to do'.
Hi Katherine. I don't think the tablets work that way. :)
DeleteThe one's I take (evening), inhibit the production of cholesterol by the liver. They don't neutralise the fatty foods we eat. Nice idea though.
Nice one Bernard the bonny, snap with the cholesterol thingies, it seems that when you get to a "certain age" the medics seem to want to jab you with needles, squeeze your limbs with blow up do-dahs and thrust things into your rear exit-and doesn't it bloody hurt!
ReplyDeleteYou know of course what will happen after a while on the Med grub-you won't lose an ounce....:)
It's the pasta that puts the weight on Angus.
DeleteThe diet also tells you to eat rice and potatoes! I've always assumed these were full of calories.
I try to keep a distance from the doctors too. The food in that diet looks and sounds rather delicious!
ReplyDeleteHi Cherie. Yes, I like most things Mediterranean - except for the garlic which I leave out of my cooking.
DeleteOh Bernard what fun that was fun to read rofl lol
ReplyDeleteI am sat here laughing on my own, as DH is at Turnberry at the senior golf, watching that is, not competing ! We had a competitor staying for B&B this week but as he didn't make the cut, he left on Friday to go home, so he gave us his tickets. I assume DH got in as he isn't home yet so they can't have thrown him out. I stayed home as we had guests in last night that left this morning, so i had work to do which is a workout doing the housework!
Laughing on your own, is fine Ann.
DeleteHow does the saying go?
"Laugh, and the World laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."
Keep laughing. :)
You gave me a much needed laugh today with your spot-on comments about the doctors. If you aren't sick when you get there, you will be when you leave, or so they say. My philosophy is to do what you want and eat what you want In Moderation. Of course I am on a similar regimen of pills, etc.!
ReplyDeleteThe photo of you in Austria is quite debonnaire and the pipe did add to the cool factor.
My husband's mother was a huge believer in Vicks also. To this day, at the first sign of a sniffle, out comes the Vicks. He says it is not a potent as it was but it smells like it to me.
The diet and vino will help the medicine go down. As always, my best to Wesley.
Hello Marilyn.
DeleteWhen I'm are not unwell, I don't like having all these 'tests'.
I said to the doctor, it's as if he was determined to find something wrong with me, so that he could prescribe more pills.
I think that picture was taken about thirty years ago. I've put on weight since then! :(
When I last registered with a docs I only had to fill in a form and leave. Now I hear they take all sorts of stuff from you and shove things up you before you can be registered.
ReplyDeleteA doctor of a friend of ours said 'Everybody over 50 should be on statins'. So they must just be an age thing. But I'm sure the butter-eater is right. If you are on statins, then why bother trying to control cholesterol with diet? That's the statins' job, is it not? Can't you just eat what you want now?
I dread the day when anybody tells me I should and shouldn't eat certain things.
I should say that I have heard from one man that the finger-up-the-rear test was not painful at all. He was very worried before it, so I am just saying this fo rthe benefit of anybody who is too afraid to go for it.
Hi Foody. They do indeed check you out, and so do dentists. There is some eu regulation I believe that makes all this form filling necessary.
DeleteThere are two sources of cholesterol. One is from the fats we eat and the other is from our liver. The pills reduce the liver output and hence the total. If you eat too much fat, the total goes back up.
No, it doesn't hurt. :)
A pill to make you go and a pill to stop you going when you're going too much - Uncle B, I was watching them in the surgery all coming out with their carrier bags full of pills - must do the economy a lot of good or the drug companies at least. Anyway the main thing is - Keep Well.
ReplyDeleteYour jokes were a tonic in themselves - keep them coming :0)
Pills are big business Molly.
DeleteI think there are far too many pills being prescribed these days.
And some people actually buy more!
Just look at the thousands of items on the chemist's shelves!
I'm surprised some people don't start rattling!
Cheers...B
Foody, I agree it isn't painful, just a little... disconcerting.
ReplyDeleteBernard, yet another classic post! Thankyou very much.
Hello Hippo,
DeleteThanks very much. Glad you enjoyed it.
I think it depends on the size of the medic, the one who did mine was about six foot four with hands like ET:)
ReplyDelete"Hands"?
DeleteI think they are only supposed to use one finger!
Here's an interest read from Angus.
ReplyDeletehttp://angusdeionallandsundry.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/why-men-dont-go-to-doctor.html
Thanks for the explanation. Loved the jokes.
ReplyDeleteJust to say.... cos maybe you wanna know first.... I have prepared some posts early this week because I'm very busy and if I didn't do Fauna Friday now, I never would. The thing is, there's a mug shot of Yours Truly. An error really. I was meaning to have just Quasar but totally forgot how to crop photos, so then I thought 'Oh heck, what does it matter? Everyone else is in their own blogs' so I left it in. Also the hat is quite a good disguise.
It's a 'cracker' of a picture. :)
DeleteYou look really chuffed there, and Quasar looks in 'tip-top' condition too. (as does her rider)
Low fat diets have proved to be worthless in controlling cholesterol and weight. Low carb, however, works. Which means no pasta, potatoes, or rice. I've been reading quite a lot about this recently. I've also read that statins are only helpful for those who have had a heart attack. I don't know, it seems to me that you were doing pretty well until the doctor got hold of you. As long the potato sack wasn't empty because you ate the potatoes.
ReplyDeleteHi Jan. Yes I was doing well on lowering my cholesterol by diet only.
DeleteI got the levels right down to those recommended by the book I was using. I was amazed when the doc said he wanted them lower still and prescribed statins!
I reckon 'Big pharma.' are behind this push to get us all on pills? I'm trying to do two things really. Lose weight and keep LDC levels down. I don't know who to believe about any diet these days? There always seems to be equal arguments for and against every type of diet.
I don't actually eat any rice or pasta, but as I have grown four rows of excellent potatoes this year, I am enjoying them every day for free. Always boiled.
I have also (temporary) given up up bread so I eat potatoes to give a bit of roughage.
Cheers....B
How do you think of all the jokes, Bernard? You're a real tonic! Perhaps I should throw away all the heart pills I have to take and just have a disc of you telling jokes. Unfortunately I like cakes, pastries, biscuits etc and anything sweet(and fatty) so I'm heavier than I should be. I came off (free) statins a couple of months ago and am trying (expensive) Plant Sterols instead, will have a blood test in Sept. to see if it's working. Should be on a plant based diet, no fat at all - some hopes.
ReplyDeleteRe the Vick - my Mum used to knit my vests when I was small and made a pocket on the front into which went a camphor block to keep my breathing free in the winter...
Hi Silve. Over the years, I have collected hundreds of 'jokes'. These I have sorted by subject, so it doesn't take me long to round-up a few on any subject I am writing about. They are all a bit corny but I find it breaks up my otherwise boring bits.
Delete"Sweet and fatty"? You may probably like me then! :)
I haven't heard of Plant Sterols. I hope I don't have to start taking even more pills.
A knitted vest. Well I never.
We had wooly-vests with little rubber buttons at the neck. I was told the buttons were soft so that they didn't get broken when going through the mangle!
Like Silve, I shall be on a plant based diet without fats, from now on. I will be interested to see if that aids my weight loss.
ReplyDeleteI used to love Vicks, so you remember Rosehip syrup? My mum used to make us take a spoonful every day in the winter.
Hi Kath.
DeleteI'm really on a plant based diet.
I go down the Co-op nearly everyday and come back loaded with reduced veggies. I bought a cauli yesterday for 40p, so that will keep me going for three days. Luckly, I never mind having the same thing for several days. By the way I heard on the radio this morning that because of the wet weather, a 'veggie-box' man from Somerset had had to give up trading. I hope this was not your supplier?
Yes, I remember Rosehip syrup. I loved it. I was reading that during WW2 children were paid to go out and gather Rosehips from the hedgerows. Is it vitamin C?
I'm not sure. We also were given Cod-liver oil everyday. I never minded this actually and still, all these years on, I have a spoon-full every morning.
Thanks for your mail, I'll reply when I get a mo. :D
I grew up with a mother who thinks Vick's (as we call it here) cures everything and at 90 she still uses it every night !I also grew up an asthmatic in a time when there we not so many of us and not much medication that actually did any good. At least in these days when so many children suffer from asthma there are some good drugs to help.
ReplyDeleteAs for all those tests.... you fellows need to get a grip! We women have been suffering all sorts on indignities in the name of preventative medicine for years and years!!
Cheers
Morning Helen.
DeleteI've just, after four years, got my first glimpse of a certain shy blogger friend of ours! A day to remember, and to celebrate with a wee glass of red vino!
You are right about those early days. Most medication 'relieved the symptoms' as they say. What I wanted was a cure!
These inhalers of today are much better.
'Preventative medicine'? Is that what it is called? Sorry. I'm a coward when it comes to hospitals and 'matters medical'.
Cheers....B
What an interesting and humourous posting, Bernard, and I always enjoy the comments. 'Just Hovis Witnesses' ... smashing! Welcome to the 'Pill-land Clan'. Sorry to hear the Health Chiefs' have you in their grasp. I'm a great believer in never giving up anything you enjoy - but partake in moderation. I wish I could take my own medicine!
ReplyDeleteNow, for me, you've given us an interesting point relating to Vick-v-Vicks-v-Vick's.
My mother used Vick on as children, and I used it on my own children. It must have been something special because everybody used it. However, about 10 years ago I heard someone referring to it as Vicks and, although I thought it sounded stupid, but didn't correct them (which was very big of me); I had to check it out. Well, blow me down with a feather, because it is Vicks.
Daft though it sounds, saying "I used Vicks" sounds like I've still to offer a description of what Vick's product is, whereas if I say I used Vick, it announces it use (but of course it doesn't - it's only my way of thinking).
I also had to take Virol - ugh! I still can't take liquid medicine to this day, but I really do like Halls/Hall's/Halls' Mentholyptus - the original type, not the sugar-free - I could eat them 'til the cows come home; they always make my airways feel clear. I also love Trebor Extra Strong Mints, and Scottish Tablet and, and, and. xx
Hi Mrs S.
DeleteWe, as children, always called it Vick, but as you say, it is actually called Vicks.
However, I have seen some old adverts for 'Vick Brand Vapour-Rub'. As it originates from America perhaps there is a need for different trade-marks.
I was never given Virol, but I do remember the orange signs at all the railway stations.
Cheers....B
Good evening dear Bernard!!....thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog..you sure have a way to get one motivated again and put your booth where its needed......ofcourse there are far worse things that can happen to us then the dead of a dog...i surtenly had my share of love-ones dying...but this dog was so special to me...i always thought the only thing she could not do is talking.....and the sadness is not so strong anymore.....in fact i am on a list for next year to have another bull....we are so in love with this ras that we want to buy one more...as a puppy this time...i "saved" 4 from "breadbreeders"with all there problems included....i want one from 8 weeks on now...
ReplyDeleteSo...enough of that now...life goes on...i will be back on my blog...but i don`t make much when its this lovely weather....so there is not much to show there....
But you wrote a great post again....loved to read it.....and ofcourse remember several things i was given to as a child...i especially remember the Vicks.....my mother used to rubb it on my chest and back and i could not stand it....it smeld terrible and the skin was burning so you could not sleep on either side of your body.....
Like your last writing above the last image and take that advice...love the jokes.....bedankt nogmaals voor je lieve woorden...hou je taai...groeten Francien.
P.s. i have given up taking "Lipitor" pills
for my high cholesterol and its getting much better....
Hello Francien. I so glad to hear that you have placed an 'order' for a new puppy.Do you get a choice of 'boy' or 'girl'? I have to admit that all British Bulldogs look like males to me, but I guess there must be some 'ladies' around too. :)
DeleteI'm glad you enjoyed my blog along with all the 'awful' jokes and thanks for leaving me your lovely and interesting comment.
Take care....groeten Bernard
Hello Bernard,
ReplyDeleteI haven't been in the blogosphere for a while, and I had forgotten how funny you are. That is a great post.....especially the potato bags!! I can still smell "Vicks Vapor Rub." Not only from my youth, but from rubbing it into the chests of my three children. I watch my weight as well; I watch it go up and down, with no control in sight. It's nice to be back.
Oh yes Bernard,
ReplyDeleteMy mother forced me to take a spoonful of Cod Liver Oil every day. It smelled horrible, and she had no reason that I remember for giving it to me. NOW, it is called "Omega 3" and everyone is taking fish oil. But not me....to many memories.
Hello my dear friend, thanks for being kind about my ramblings and jokes. I still take Cod Liver Oil every morning. I don't mind it one bit. Perhaps I'm losing my taste buds? It's supposed to be good for lubricating our creaking joints!
DeleteYou don't have to take O3 pills, as you can eat 'oily' fish instead. I just love smoked mackerel.
Cheers....B