Friday, 6 July 2012

"Give Aunty a Nice Big Kiss"

.
“Come on now. Give your Aunty Alice a nice big kiss.”
That would be my Mom saying that, somewhere around 1950.

.
.
Us lads didn’t like kissing, anymore than we liked Cod Liver Oil, but we liked our Aunties.
You see, by giving our Aunty Alice, a boyish peck on her eau de Cologne scented, heavily powdered cheek, it might result in a ‘ten bob note’ being lovingly squeezed through the slot in my money box! In those days that was ‘serious’ money to a young boy. I remember saving up £5 in my money box to buy my first bike. A bike! Just from kissing Aunties. So you see, there might be an ulterior and rather materialistic motive behind me ‘puckering up’ even to this day!
And this day is?

National Kissing Day.  July 6th .
.

.
I’m never quite sure why we have these ‘National Days’. I usually assume it is a commercial thingie, just to sell cards and cuddly bears?
But suppose it was a day, just one day, when you could go out and kiss anyone, (in my case 120% female), without the fear of the charge of an assault being brought.
No? 
Thought not. Just wishful thinking.
.

.
Looking back over time, I can remember my first ‘romantic’ kiss. Well you do, don’t you? In those days it was a case of ‘shall I now?’ or ’shan’t I?’ 
It was a time of ’shall I get my face slapped?’ 
Nowadays it appears to be more like 
‘Hiya honey and hop into bed‘!

We, were young gentlemen then, with short hair and clean necks.

Of course in reality,

“I’ve kissed many girls under many conditions,
I’ve kissed them both with, and without their permissions,
But never a one, for a moment compares
With the one that I kissed, in the dark, on the stairs.”

Not true in my case. 
We were on a train, alone in the compartment, 
coming back from a day out on the Malvern Hills.
I’ll say no more, but I remember it well.
I still have a photo of her, as one in a group, in my youth club day archives. 
Over fifty five years ago!
I’ll leave her there.
.

.
Those were the days when ’lovers’ wrote SWALK on the back of envelopes (and worse)  and children played kissing games like ’Postman’s knock’. In case there is someone not ‘in the know’, SWALK is ‘Sealed with a loving kiss’ and Postman's Knock is a game played by groups of children or teenagers (?) in which one person is chosen to be the "postman", goes outside and knocks on the door. Another person is chosen by the rest of the group to answer the door, and pays for the "letter" with a kiss. Then another person is chosen to be postman, etc. 
It wasn’t a lot of fun in those days for us young budding Conker champions to be kissing girls, but a revival today here in Bourne End library, might get me and the like minded more  interested in ‘Romantic Novels’?
.

.
I think I read about this ‘Kissing Day’ int’ Daily Telegraph, because I’m not a great reader of women’s magazines, except in the doctor’s waiting room, where anything is better that playing the guessing game ‘I wonder what’s wrong with you?

The eye-catching headline was - (here - not in the Telegraph)

‘It's official - the Brits aren't kissing enough!’ 
It continues ‘…..a staggering 95% of young women believe they aren't getting enough’!?
I’m sure that 95% of young men must also be having the same problem, not to mention the 100% of old men!
What's more, ‘nearly a quarter of women (24%) have experienced a kissing drought and gone for over a year without so much as a hint of a kiss.’ 
.

Over a year without a kiss.?
.
‘The average period of non-lip action is three to six months for nearly a third (30%) of women. The forecast is not so bad for a fifth (21%) of women who don't go any longer than a month without a kiss.’

As there were so many statistics I will not bore you with too many, but it appears that us British, sweep the board with nearly half (42%) of the vote for great at kissing. The Italians - the Casanovas of Europe come in second with 15%, closely followed by the French with 13%.

Probably something to do with the dreaded garlic.
C’est la vie!
.
.

And then at the reverse ‘slobbering’ end, were the poor old Lager swilling, Sauerkraut munching Germans who came top the list of the wurst kuss’rs, with over a third (38%) of the voters saying 999. (“nein,nein,nein“). 

I did a google for facts about kissing, history of kissing, reasons for kissing. All boring stuff. It appears no-one really knows why we alone in the animal kingdom, do it. It appears that animals do engage in kissing-like behaviours but it is not proper kissing. 

.

.
I read that human lips are different from those of all other animals because they are everted, (I checked this out and it means that they purse outward).
I’m sure there is joke in there somewhere about ‘big everted lips‘, but I’m sure you have had enough bad jokes from me lately.
.

.
Songs are, of course, littered with the word ‘kiss‘. 
I found hundreds with ‘kiss’ in the title
.
.
And thousands with the word ‘kiss’ in the lyrics.
But there is still only one song in my collection,
 about a poor old Gnat’s Wedding.
.

.
A bit later, I did a google on ‘Kissing gates’, to get a bit of background info. I was surprised to find that the first page listed Dating agencies - ’Countryside Online Dating’ and ’Farmer’s Dating Site’ - all named ‘The Kissing Gate’!

This is my idea of a kissing gate.
.

.
I had always thought that they got their name from the fact that a young man could steal a kiss from his young lass as she passed through. But no. It appears that the etymology of the name is that the gate merely "kisses" (touches) the enclosure either side, rather than needing to be securely latched.

This ‘touching’ would also explain the term in snooker and billiards where one ball glances off another, as in - ‘a kiss off the black‘.
.

.
I was going to investigate why we put xxx’s on the bottom of letters. I have no idea, but I think I have rambled on long enough. 
I have to admit that I’m not ‘into’ this new continental habit that seems to have caught on over here. 
Cheek to cheek with a complete stranger and making kissing noises into each others ears!
No thanks!

How about a good old fashioned hug?

There's something in a simple hug
That always warms the heart;
It welcomes us back home
Makes it easier to part.
A hug's a way to share the joy,
And sad times we go through,
Or just a way for friends to say
They like you, 'cause you're you.


It's funny how a little hug
Makes everyone feel good;
In every place and language,
It's always understood.
No special equipment needed,
No batteries or parts-
Just open up your arms,
And open up your hearts.

But I’ll let Confucius have the very last word.
“Confucius, he say,”
"Passionate kiss, is like spider’s web....., 
....it leads to flies undoing". 

I hope you all have a lovely dry weekend. 
.

.
Keep smiling!


.



36 comments:

  1. Great post Bernard. Sending big hugs over the seas to you.... and perhaps a XX or two also !
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen.
      A big {hug} for you too.
      Cheers.....B xx

      Delete
  2. yes we always kiss in such gateways!

    I read somewhere that the "XX" tradition started with the Medieval practice of allowing those who could not write to sign documents with an "X". This was done before witnesses, and the signer placed a kiss upon the "X" to show sincerity. This is how the kiss came to be synonymous with the letter "X", and how the "X" came to be commonly used at the end of letters as kiss symbols.

    You do realise Unc, that I shall be humming that annoyingly catchy (BOM) tune for the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I'll get a letter "X"
      tattoo'd on my left cheek? :D
      (the one on my face that is, not the other ones!) :O
      I only find I get tunes stuck in my head after hearing it played.
      Cheers B xx

      Delete
  3. What a refreshing post. The pictures are wonderful. I well remember my first kiss, I was 17 years old. Kids start kissing more than their mothers and aunties when they're younger now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary.
      Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
      Fancy you being "Sweet Sixteen" and not getting kissed. You'd have had to watch it, if I'd been around at your school. :)
      Cheers B xx

      Delete
  4. I have always hated kissing relatives, old or young.
    I think people probably are missing out on kissing nowadays because they are much quicker at taking it to the bed stage and seem to be only interested in 'the business'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Foody.
      I'm not keen on the idea of kissing animals either. I know it's a sign of affection - but mouthfulls of fur? (or worse?)
      No thanks.
      Cheers B (I won't send any xx's if you don't like them?) :o
      (Oh go on! xx)

      Delete
  5. I never considered how much there was to know about kissing before reading this.
    I don't like the continental muuah, muuah either. Just think of all the germs a stranger might be carrying. What's wrong with a handshake? XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doohie.
      I agree. Handshakes are for politicians and the like.
      And why can't footballers shake hands like everybody else?
      I like your description "muuah".
      Sums it up perfectly. :)
      Cheers B xx

      Delete
  6. Postmans knock? Or there was always Dustmans Knock..............same idea as Postmans knock only dirtier! ...........oh the old ones are the best Lol
    Great post by the way, will not send kisses as got a cold Bernard grrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had heard that you get up to naughty things 'north of the border'! :o
      They are called 'Highland Games' I believe?
      I'll collect the xx's on another post. :)
      Hope you manage to shake your cold off. A wee 'dram' perhaps?

      Delete
  7. I just saw many of my cousins at a funeral yesterday and got to hug and kiss the lot of them. I have to admit I come from a family of great huggers. Sending a world class hug your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan.
      When I was young, I don't remember anyone hugging each other. All these changes over the years are coming about because people are travelling the world more and I guess picking up local customs.
      I remember as a boy being told that eskimos kiss, by rubbing their noses together! I've never found out if it's true.
      Think I'll stick with your 'world class' hugs. Thanks. :)
      Cheers B {hug}

      Delete
  8. The funniest/most embarrassing kiss I ever had was not long after we got married. One of O/H's aunties had died and we were all in the church hall at the wake. Everyone was kissing and comforting each other like they do. O/H's Uncle N had been partaking a little bit too much on the whisky and suddenly grabbed me and gave me a passionate tongue down your throat smacker. For a few seconds the room went into a deathly hush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly. It sounds as if Uncle N needed a bit of 'Dutch courage' to fulfil a secret desire! :o
      A 'deathly hush' at a funeral?
      Whatever next? :)
      Hope you are keeping dry?
      Cheers... B xx

      Delete
  9. Ahhhh - refreshing and interesting as always, Bernard. What to write in a comment area when so much has been said, about so much fun stuff that was said?!

    Kissing - I remember it very well - 'nuff said. xx

    I'm guessing Mick Jagger has big everted lips when he struts his stuff.

    In my opinion (!!), kissing is much, much more enjoyable than what doggies do when they meet - but I'm no dog so I'm sure they'd think differently.

    I also remember envelopes that had:
    BOLTOP - Better On Lips Than On Paper.
    ILY - I Love You.
    HOLLAND - Hope Our Love Lasts And Never Dies.
    ITALY - I Trust And Love You.
    BURMA - Be Undressed Ready My Angel (I'm blushing, but I never received one of those).

    Great photos and stories, Bernard - thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mrs S.
      I didn't like to mention too many of those others, but as you have 'broken the ice', how about -
      NORWICH. 'Nickers off ready when I come home.'
      I'd better leave it there. :o
      Glad you enjoyed this post.
      Cheer B xx

      Delete
  10. Oh - (me that doesn't have much to say)... I meant to mention that I had the "Sir Samuel Luke Fildes - The Village Wedding" - hanging on my wall in the spare room for many years. I gave it into a charity shop when I was moving. 'Twas nice to see it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favourite paintings. How sad you don't still have it.
      I know we all have to have clear-outs every so often. I'm doing one myself at the moment. :(

      Delete
  11. Cor, Bernard, I don't know where you find the inspiration for some of your blogs! What a giggle, though. Your illustrations are always so apt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hallo Sylve.
    I don't know either. I get stuck for weeks sometimes and can't think of much, then, just like a Wycombe bus, ideas come in two's and threes!
    Most of those pictures are from old postcards. I used to get them in the Bourne End Antique shop (now gorn) for a mere 10p.
    Cheers B (as it's a post on kissing - I had better send a couple xx.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea there was so much to know about kissing. Of course I remember my first one too...

    You have educated me about the kissing gate, but I think I like the thought that you can steal a kiss there better. That is what I thought it meant too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cherie, I had to leave loads out as the blog was getting far too long.
    As to the kissing gate, this definition was new to me. I shall stay with the old romantic version I think.
    Cheers B xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. As a child I was bemused by 'Postman's Knock'. Could never see the point in it. Always assumed the people organising it had got hold of how it started but hadn't been told what happened next.

    'Kiss' sounds like 'X' if you say it in the right way. (?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther.
      I could never see much point in a lot of those games we used to play. At least some of them had a prize at the end of the game - like 'Pass the parcel' or 'Musical chairs'. I expect all these games were to keep the children entertained. When I went to my great-nieces Birthday party, all they enjoyed, was throwing 'water-bombs' around in the garden.
      Cheers Bernard.

      Delete
  16. Hello Bernard - I am back on line again - pc has been poorly - perhaps a hug would have been a cure - we have hugs at work when times get stressed - that Confucious saying is a corker I must remember that one - take care you and Wesley - and I will send a x - what are those birds flying off into the sunset?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane.
      I was just reading all about your router problems. I'm gad it's all sorted. I had to 'get a man in' and it cost me £40. Ho hum! That's life.
      Birds at sunset? Haven't a clue.
      I have a feeling it a photo-shopped picture. It came to me on an email a couple of days ago.
      Cheers Bernard xx

      Delete
  17. Hi Bernard, thanks for popping by the blog, I shall have to check out the MK museum in October, I've lived in MK for 13 years and have never been.
    Kissing - always remember playing kiss chase at school!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Becky. Thanks for looking in. I found the Museum very interesting and took loads of photographs. It is all indoors, except for us poor organ-grinders, who have to 'rough it' outside!
      They have a web site here -
      http://www.mkmuseum.org.uk/
      I think the organ weekend is 6/7 Oct.
      Cheers...Bernard x
      ps 'Kiss chase' is not one I remember, but I can guess!

      Delete
  18. We never kissed in our family and now Im married to geoff , for 26 years!, his family always kiss when greeting and parting.I used to hate it and always used to back away, but they used to do it anyway, and no doubt had a laugh about it which I don't mind.
    I have got used to it now but still find it uncomfortable to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annette, I agree with your last statement. I too, feel just a wee bit uncomfortable at times. If kissing a stranger doesn't feel natural we should give it a miss.
      (I don't like to see 'same sexes' kissing, especially footballers.)
      Cheers....Bernard

      Delete
  19. sorry meant to say love the smiling face, I have had that on my blog site when a dear friend sent it to me.
    Lovely,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sent to me too - a sort of 'chain-email'.
      Cheers...B

      Delete
  20. I like this blog, glad I found it.

    I had an Auntie Alice, lived in Rainford. Actually, she was my great aunt and we kids would just bust a gut when she would say to dad, 'Come on now Ginger! Give yer auntie a kiss, you're not too old to get your bottom smacked!' Completely ignoring the fact, of course, that he was white haired and fifty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Hippo.
      My Auntie Alice lived in a place called Alum Rock, a district to the north in Birmingham.
      I'm afraid my blog is not what it used to be. Years ago, I blogged every day, later it became once a week and now, as I get older it is a bit of a struggle to even find a subject to cover, once a month.
      I don't know how much longer I shall carry on blogging.
      Cheers....Bernard

      Delete