A quick (but lengthy) follow-up to Tuesday's post
as I have now located the song I was looking for.
I have also popped up a version here for those of you wanting to hear it.
MESSING ABOUT ON THE RIVER
Josh MacRae
When the weather is fine, then you know it's a sign
For messing about on the river.
If you take my advice, there's nothing so nice
As messing about on the river.
There are long-boats and short boats and all sorts of craft,
And cruisers and keel boats and some with no draught.
So, take off your coat, go jump in a boat.
Go messing about on the river.
.
There are boats made from kits that greet you in bits
For messing about on the river;
Or you might like to scull in a glass-fibre hull,
Just messing about on the river.
There are tillers and rudders and anchors and cleats
And ropes that are sometimes referred to as sheets.
With the wind in your face, there's no finer place
Than messing about on the river
.
There are skippers and mates and rowing-club eights
Just messing about on the river.
There are pontoons and trots, and all sorts of knots
For messing about on the river.
With inboards and outboards and dinghies you sail.
The first thing you learn is the right way to bail.
In a one-seat canoe, you're the skipper and crew
When you're messing about on the river.
.
There are bridges and locks and moorings and docks
When you're messing about on the river.
There are whirlpools and weirs that you mustn't go near
When messing about on the river.
There are backwater places all hidden from view,
And quaint little islands just waiting for you,
So I'll leave you right now to cast off your bow
To go messing about on the river.
.
And now, as a follow-up to "School for Scalpels" last Sunday.
(same tune)
MESSING ABOUT WITH YOUR LIVER.
(M.A.W.Y.L.)
There's whiskey or wine, or vodka is fine, for Messing About With Your Liver,
You can even try hops, or the new alcho pops, for M.A.W.Y.L.,
There's ale of all sorts, there's porter and stout,
There's lager and cider, they're all good no doubt,
But stay off the gin, it will lead to ruin, when you're M.A.W.Y.L.
Your vision gets blurred, and your speech may be slurred, whilst M.A.W.Y.L.,
The road may zig zag, you'll have to blow in the bag, through M.A.W.Y.L.,
Excuse me says the copper, but you've told a whopper,
Eight pints at least, you've had with your feast,
Spend the night in our cell, we'll take your car as well, no more M.A.W.Y.L.
If you drink strong ale, you'll never get stale, whilst M.A.W.Y.L.
Its laxative properties, will put you at ease, whilst M.A.W.Y.L.
With bowels in overdrive, don't get taken short,
Long meetings or car trips are bound to be fraught,
You'll get a rebuke, if you have to puke, through M.A.W.Y.L.
.


ha ha, I have never heard the second version :D
ReplyDeleteYou do broaden our horizons, Uncle B.
Since reading your initial post, that tune has been in my head, but I didnt know the words. I also was reminded of "Tales of the riverbank" which had a charming little tune at the beginning.
Very witty.
ReplyDeleteI remember Tales of the Riverbank too! Was the tune by Giuliani?
That is a fine array of boats there.
ReplyDeleteI have not heard of the second version either.
Today it's been wall to wall sunshine here Bernard! Just right for messing about on the river! The other version I've not heard before but dead funny if that's the right expression!!
ReplyDeleteGreat!
I was going to post this up on Tuesday but the post was a bit long already! I though it better to do a separate post and add the 'Liver' version and a few boat pictures for brother Adrian, who is always complaining that the blog contains too many cats!
ReplyDeleteGlad you all found it amusing. :)
Think of me on Saturday - I need some 'wall2wall' sunshine - it's organ grinding time.
Actually, I don't need the sun, I just want it to stay dry.
Cheers all......Bernard