Monday, 3 May 2010

Island Hopping.

.
.
Before the use of steam and diesel, all the large boats on the Thames were towed by horses (or men) or limited use of sail. Towing obviously required a tow path along one or other sides of the river. A lot of the riverside land is private and so the towpath has to change sides many times. Each time there was a change, there was a need for a ferry to get the horses or men to the opposite side. Just along these three or four miles there was a need for a similar number of ferries. There was the Spade Oak ferry at the foot of Winter Hill and several down stream at Cookham.
At Cookham the waters of the Thames encounter the solid mass of Chiltern chalk at Cliveden Cliff, which forces a sharp change in direction southwards.
.
.
If you look closely you can pick out Cliveden House
and Tower at the top of the 'Cliff'.
(click to enlarge any picture)
Centuries ago this area would have been a maze of narrow channels between wooded marshy islands. This made it easier to cross the river here.
.
.
To get to the lock today involves ‘island hopping’, first onto Formosa Island over this delightful bridge and then onto Mill Eyot and finally across the ’lock cut’ to Sashes Island.
.
.
Sashes Island is the largest in the group and one of the largest in the Thames. Its name evolved from Sceaftaga, Sceaf being a Saxon name.
Cookham Lock opened in 1830. The landowner at Hedsor, Lord Boston, sued for compensation because of lost trade caused by the disuse of the towpath on his land.
Later on a weir was built at the Cookham end, which completely stopped the flow of river traffic. Once again he claimed compensation, so you see ‘Compensation culture’ is nothing new!
This blocked off section is now private water with no public right of navigation, a unique situation on the Thames.

Cookham had no bridge until the 19th Century, so the ferry that crossed the Thames near the church was vital to village life.
.
.
Cookham road bridge.

Later when the lock was in use and a bridge had been built, a ferry was still needed to take towpath traffic from Sashes Island to the towpath on the village bank.
.
.
The winch post for the ferry may still be found on the tip of the island. (where that white boat is moored).
There was another ferry at the other end of the lock cut but although both ferries closed in 1956 the towpath along the cut remains open.

Now for a pint in the Ferry Inn.
.
.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely. We went thru close to 100 locks on our Riverboat trip on the Rhine, Main, and Danube rivers...many at night, but doing it during daylight when your boat is barely 2 inches from the wall of the lock is very exciting. In March of 2011 we are going through the Panama Canal. We like locks.
    Thanks for your comments on my blog page. I am still "with cast," but if all goes well, I only have 3 weeks left. I'll know more after my doctor's appointment on May 14.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that piece of history and the lovely pictures to go with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you did this post Unc. When we lived in MAidenhead, we were on the river in our little boat most weekends. Later, when my son was a bit older and we sold the boat, I would take him down to Odney to paddle. It was a dleightful trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your feedback; I tend to agree with you on the page.
    How do I manage on 1-1/2 legs? #1- I remember it is only temporary. #2- I have lots of help (hired and husband). #3- I have all our food prepared by a healthy home delivered food service (it's very good). #4- I have a knee scooter, wheel chair, and other devices to help me get up stairs and #5- I have my kindle and my computer to take my mind off of it. IT IS STILL BORING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pics, almost makes the south the place to live. But only just getting over the M25 a fortnight ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting to learn about the lock and river traffic as we don't have them here in Oz. Have you ever seen the fantastic Falkirk Wheel in Scotland that eliminates the need for many locks?
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for stopping by and for liking my photo's. It is always a problem for me deciding on which pictures to leave out. With these digital cameras it is so easy to keep 'clicking' away and coming home with a hundred!
    Perhaps I will do a bit about other locks on the Thames?

    ReplyDelete