.
Have you ever been lonely, have you every been blue?
When I hear this song title I always think of Elvis. In fact I thought for a long time that it was ‘his’ song, he certainly made it popular, but …..
“Have You Ever Been Lonely” was published in 1933
and I have this copy in my ‘Music Chest’.
.
.
Peter DeRose composed the music, and George Brown wrote the lyric in which an admirer asks forgiveness of a sweetheart and wonders if she has ever felt the way he does now. In addition to Henry Hall with the BBC Dance Orchestra, other bands like Paul Whiteman, Ted Lewis and Ray Noble assured its popularity on the Big Band circuit.
But it was in the 60s when Jerry Vale revived it that it became a staple among country artists. Chet Atkins, Della Reese, Patsy Cline, Slim Whitman, and Jim Reeves are among the best covers of the song.
A bit later in 1966, Paul McCartney wrote his wonderful elegy for Eleanor Rigby, who picked up the rice in the church where a wedding has been - lived in a dream - then she died in a church and was buried along with her name - nobody came.
.
.
Did you know that today, the number of people living on their own has doubled since the 1970s, and that most of them are (us) older people.
Of course a lot of us are very happy living on our own. Some they will say that they like their routine and their independence and not having to worry about whether someone else wants to watch a different TV channel, or like me, not even wanting a telly.
Retirement was a big jolt.
All those familiar work mates and friends.
There, one day.
Gone, the next.
Everyone promises to stay in touch, and then doesn’t.
I can always recognise a lonely person when you meet them in shops or on buses: they never stop talking, chatting away about this and that as though they’d not spoken to anyone in a week. Probably haven’t.
In this all-laughing, twittering world it’s assumed that we can all find a comforting voice of friendship somewhere. For increasing numbers that just isn’t so.
Most need interaction with others to feel fully alive.
.
.
Another couple of disturbing facts:-
Nearly half the meals in Britain……
……are now eaten alone?
Nearly half the ‘ready meals’ in Europe…..
……. are consumed in the UK?
And another little song which I remember singing years ago,
but don't have a copy of is.....
Of all the saddest words
That I have ever heard;
The saddest is the story
Told me by a bird.
He had spent about and hour,
Chatting with a flower
and here is the tale the flower told.
I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch,
an onion patch, an onion patch.
I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch
and all I do is cry all day.
Boo hoo, boo hoo.
The air is so strong it takes my breath away.
I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch,
Oh won't you come and play with me?
There, that's cheered us up a bit.
Have a nice day.
.

Oh dear, it didn't cheer me up. I felt too sorry for the poor crying petunia.
ReplyDeleteDo people who chatter incessantly not get on your nerves? They must make themselves even more lonely because they cause people to cross the street to avoid them!
Thanks for putting the words of Eleanor Rigby. I never could get them.
Glad you're not lonely, Unc. I don't think I would be either. I have lived on my own and was quite content, but I suppose it wasn't for a terribly long time.
Funny you mention lonely people in shops. Some of my old ladies only leave their homes when they have their weekly outing with us. They say it is the highlight of their week. As one who used to grumble about grocery shopping, it is very humbling to see the pleasure they get from this very ordinary day out. I love to see the smiles on their faces when someone takes the time to chat to them, or just to smile and say hello.
ReplyDeleteAh, but when our economies fail even further, a lot of us will end up living together to save costs, won't we? The real question is how to combine multiple junk collections into a single household. When I see a house that's been restored as a museum piece, I marvel at how little space people had to live. A bed, a chest and an armoire in a bedroom. I imagine a person living there who had a week's worth of clothes and few personal possessions.
ReplyDeleteOne of the reasons my husband decided to move out was there just isn't room in the house I own for all the stuff two people have collected. In the past it held much bigger families. In the present, a whole multi-generational family of Hispanic or southeast Asian immigrants could live in it comfortably, but we were crammed.
It all seems to rest on our personal perceptions of loneliness and happiness and space.
George Brown? he had a varied career then?
ReplyDeleteThose figures about ready meals are shocking, happy to think of you Bernard cooking your wholesome, nourishing meals..real food!
I do remembere those songs.
Loneliness is a scourge, there are remedies.
Foody:
ReplyDeleteThe petunia wasn’t ‘really’ sad, she was crying because of the onions I assume. :D
I never mind chatting to any of my neighbour, as long as they know when to stop.
I may be in a hurry or have an appointment, but some will go on and on talking.
There is only one person in our road that ’catches’ you. “Oh, dear, I got caught by Norman” they say. One day I was out on the front mixing cement when he ‘caught’ me. On and on he went. The cement was going hard on the shovel and still he didn’t take a hint!
Being alone is OK if you are fit and can get out. I feel very sad about old people who are not that mobile and stuck indoors.
Kath:
Just what I was saying to Foody.
Isn’t it just a bit sad, when the highlight of someone’s week is going to the shops?
They do organise ’get-togethers’ and ‘coffee mornings’ at local churches and community centres around here but I’m not sure if they provide transport. I think old people have to make their own way there. :(
Jan:
The trend here is definitely in the other direction. More and more people are living alone and of course using up all the ‘family’ homes. I live on my own in a three bed bungalow and I have to plead guilty to filling up all the rooms with my ‘collections’.
Actually, I don’t now have as much as I used to. It’s now mainly books and music.
I started having a good clear-out some years ago as I realised that if I wanted to ‘down-size’ at some date in the future, I would just have to ‘dump’ a load of stuff.
One bedroom is now completely empty, so I am making progress.
Throwing bits of your past away is sometimes difficult but must be done.
But…..how many times have I needed something that I threw away months earlier!
Von:
I have to admit that I have yet to resort to a ‘ready meal’.
Maybe they have a place, and maybe they are OK for those in a hurry and maybe they suit some people ‘down to the ground’, but not for me. Well, not until I can’t get out and do my own shopping.
Then it‘s ‘Meals on Wheels’ I guess.
Mind you, giving ready meals to old people is at least ensuring that they get fed a reasonable meal once a day and saves them cooking.
Cheers all. Bernard
Yes, I find it sad Unc. Thats one of the reasons why we try hard to give them the most fun day, the most conversation and laughs and to make them feel valued and cared for by us. I enjoyed doing that small thing for these wonderful old ladies and feel sad that I will no longer have that opportunity come the Autumn.
ReplyDeleteI have a CD called "Bridge to Havana" on which is the song "Unlonely". Very pretty tune. I'll have to check and see who sings it.
ReplyDeleteKath:
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping that something will turn up for you before the autumn. There seem to be lots of voluntary groups offering help. We have a 'community bus' here and they have been appealing for drivers. I wish I could spare the time - I expect I am too old - you need to be young and fit.
Hi Deb:
I have to admit I didn't even know there was a word "Unlonely". :D
How unusual. My dictionary says the prefix 'un-' has limitless applications in English and can have two meanings. "Absence of quality" (fair, unfair) or "Sense of contrary action" (lock, unlock).
So 'Lonely, unlonely'. Must refer to someone who is 'not lonely'. :)