.
I know this election covers the whole UK but......as an Englishman.....
.
.
Smile at us, pay us, pass us; but do not quite forget,
For we are the people of England, that never has spoken yet.
There is many a fat farmer that drinks less cheerfully,
There is many a free French peasant
who is richer and sadder than we.
There are no folk in the whole world so hapless or so wise.
There is hunger in our bellies, there is laughter in our eyes;
You laugh at us and love us, both mugs and eyes are wet:
Only you do not know us. For we have not spoken yet.
G.K Chesterton
It has just gone 7 o'clock and the polls are open.
I shall be going down later in the day, a futile but necessary gesture.
You see here in the Beaconsfield constituency, one person does not really have one vote.
They have the equivalent of 0.029 votes.
This figure is based on the probability of the seat changing hands and its size.
45.91% of those who voted in Beaconsfield in 2005, did not vote for the winning candidate. Those votes counted for nothing in our First Past the Post system.
Across the country, the average UK voter has the power of 0.253 votes. That is 8.33 times more power than my vote here.
The future of the country is in the hands of a few - lucky enough to live in marginal seats.
They call this Democracy.
.

You have my deepest sympathy. I hate elections with their lies and false promises. A new party wins but nothing ever seems to change. The only good thing is that those terrible election debates will finally cease!
ReplyDeleteGood luck
Helen
Once we might have said 'may the best man win"...hard to know what to say now in these times and taking into account the above and the candidates.I can say I'm rather glad not to have the vote as I once did, courtesy of the Government who generously gave me permanent residency for a time.
ReplyDeleteI'll be glad when it's all over Unc, after nearly thumping our Tory canvasser when he called at our door. He looked quite dissapointed when I answered and asked, in a very patronising voice,who the little lady (me) might be voting for?
ReplyDelete"Whoever my Husband tells me to", I simpered, "now I must get back to the kitchen sink".
Pounding my taties with extra vigour.
Glad to be back! And now I found Kath, so it worked out alright. Democracy requires stamina and a strong stomach. We had to put up with 8 years of George Bush before "we the people" elected Obama. And even today, the right-wing radio and TV commentators make a "thinking human being's" blood boil.
ReplyDeleteMyrna is so right, and so are you Uncle B. An intelligent vote has so little meaning when there are so many idiots out and about. A rural community has absolutely no say at all, even in a county election. In my own area, one huge housing development and all those new voters with no sense of responsibility or tradition bankrupted our local fire department in two years with their votes to buy more ambulances to haul sick and old people all the way back to town. Meanwhile their houses burned down, with a fire department right across the road, because there were no funds left to staff it. Majority rule has some severe limitations.
ReplyDeleteElectoral reform could and should happen. It's got to.
ReplyDeleteHi Helen:
ReplyDeleteYou are certainly in the best place in France, well away from it all. You say - a new party wins and nothing changes. Very true, but even worse this morning - no one has won an overall majority.
Hi Von:
I think the whole political system needs a rethink. Turnouts are low. Powers handed over to Brussels, politicians not being truthful etc etc. A broken system and some say a ‘broken Britain‘.
Hi Kath:
Bad news this morning then! They say this result will cause discussions to go for days if not weeks! I hate that expression ‘little lady’. You were right to leave him on the doorstep. :D
Hi Myrna:
Sorry to have confused things. Glad to have you back. You may enjoy Kaths site she does a very interesting blog, although I have to admit that I don’t fully understand all the sewing bits & bobs :)
Hi Jan:
Millions of people always vote with the attitude of “What’s in for me?”
Hardly ever, what is good for the country, their area and community.
I also think that a lot of people don’t understand what policies they are being offered.
We, in the country, have just had the first TV debates. People are now voting for personalities, rather than policies.
All a mess.
Hi Maddie:
Well something has got to be done. I think we will see some changes after this morning result. It can not come too soon.
Thanks all……Bernard
Commiserations. I mean for you. I didn't vote UKIP but sorry your favoured party didn't make it. Neither did mine but I don't care a hoot!
ReplyDeleteThanks Foody.
ReplyDeleteI don't really care a hoot either. I think it is right to turn out though and express an opinion.
With our system of two party Parliaments, every one who doesn't support the big two is a looser.
All my life, I have NEVER been on the winning side.