Saturday, 1 May 2010

Pain in the Posterior

.
.
Well I made it to the dentist on Friday.
Not as bad as I first thought, except for my bank balance.
I came away with a bill for £266.50.
I wonder if I had paid VAT on that?

Anyway it wasn’t the Wisdom tooth, he said that was OK and it turned out that I needed a “Posterior Composite filling” !
My poor posterior.

A bit of light relief.

A dentist named Archibald Moss
Fell in love with a dainty Miss Ross,
But he held in abhorrence
Her Christian name…Florence,
So he now calls her sweet Dental Floss !

Devonshire Dumpling was expecting a musical outburst on either dentists or teeth. But apart from “All I want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth”, I’m at a bit of a foss.

Plenty of songs about ‘Smiles’ though.
.
.
Actually the dentist asked me “Are you happy with your smile?”.
The receptionist said “Go on, give us a smile”.
Have you every tried to smile, two minutes before being on the receiving end of that drill?

This was a new dentist for me, and I had to complete quite a long questionnaire.
Medication, illnesses, do you smoke, do you drink…
…the one I wasn’t too keen on though was - next of kin!!!!

Well I’m glad that’s over. Settled down with a glass of medicinal red wine to watch the Snooker.
Which reminds me of another crumb of light relief.

A man told his doctor he wasn’t feeling at all well.
The doctor asked him what sort of meals he was eating.
“Well, doctor, at breakfast I have three snooker balls, two yellow, one blue.
For lunch I have two browns and a pink.
For tea, a yellow. For supper three blacks.”
“I’m not surprised you’re not well on that diet……


……you’re not getting enough greens.”

.
.

11 comments:

  1. Wow! I'd love to hear the music to that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The doctor one, I mean...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad your teeth are sorted.

    I had to fill out one of those forms (again!) last time I visited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at my 'denture' dentist on Friday - Virgo co-incidence again, Bernard.

    The only thing missing from the last line of your excellent snooker ball joke was Basil Brush's "BOOM, BOOM".

    Anyway we all knew you wouldn't need any 'wisdom' treatment - you're wise enough as it is. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you ever try drinking a cup of tea when your face hasn't quite come back to life? messy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My least favorite time at the dentist's: The dentist has just come in to tell you all about some atrocious procedure he's going to do (after you waited in the chair for a good while, hearing people groan and moan in the other rooms). Just as he leaves to get his instruments of torture the assistant comes in to take your blood pressure. "Oh my" she says "it's quite high!" Well, duh.

    I think you should have Katherine Plumer scrimshaw something on an ivory veneer that you could have installed as a front tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tardy:
    I must admit, I've never heard a recording of it either.

    Hi Cherie:
    Forms everywhere these days! They even asked how many units of alcohol a week! What has that got to do with teeth? I would have thought "How many pints of milk a week?" (calcium), or "Do you drink lots of tea?" (staining), would have been more related questions.

    Hi Mrs S.
    I felt a bit "down in the mouth" (H/T DD) so thought a joke or two would be the best tonic for the day.

    Kath, I did years ago.
    But recently I have not bothered with injections as these 'super duper high speed super cooled' drills really are messy, but don't hurt. If the dentist says an injection is not necessary - I believe him.
    (famous last words) :o

    Hi Jan:
    I was just looking at you on the back of that mighty motor-tricycle. Looked fun.
    More fun than going to the dentist.
    It's funny you should mention 'blood pressure': The dentist asked why I hadn't been for a check-up for 2 years?
    I told him my Doctor advised me to "avoid stressful situations".
    I am not sure if he saw the funny side of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Have you every tried to smile, two minutes before being on the receiving end of that drill?".......I think its far worse when you are asked to 'rinse' and you open your numb mouth and dutifully 'rinse' only to find that you have poured the water all over your chin/neck/clothing/ legs and in consequence you walk out of the surgery looking as if you have wet yourself....AND you have paid a dentist a small fortune to ensure that you'll look like a total retard in public.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad to hear it's all over. I hope you didn't look like the girl in the top picture.
    My last but one dentist used to prod me in the shoulder and say, crossly, "Relax! Nothing's going to happen!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi DD,
    I can't say that that has ever happened to me, but as Kath said, it is very difficult for your mouth to find the cup even when you get home.

    Hi Foody,
    Relax ....if only.
    OK now thanks. Only got to go back to see the "High Jeanist".

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete