.

.
Bicycle's, tricycles and tandems. I have had them all.
Of course I started off with a tricycle. I really don't know where the money came from in the 1940's. We were all a wee bit strapped for cash, but I wouldn't mind betting my dear old Grandad was behind it somewhere. I was reading here than Jan had just bought herself a nice new tricycle. It would seem that they are ideal whether we are either six or 'a little' older! (smiley face)





.

.
Grandad looks on.
After a few years, I wanted a bike and I remember having to buy it out of my PO Saving account.
It was a BSA with 18" wheels, maroon in colour and cost Five guineas! (£5 5s 0d - £5.25).
Couldn't find any photo's of that bike or any other bike I rode, for that matter.
But I did find this one of me, all alone, on my tandem.
.

.
No fancy Lycra shorts in those days!
"A Bicycle made for Two". Cue music.
We did a lot of cycling in those days and I must have got through quite a number of bikes as I grew up. Apart from that first bike, I never had anything from new. They were all second hand. Dad would strip them down, repaint them and fit new parts.
When I got into my teens, I started Youth Hostelling and going further afield.
We always set off west, to Wales, mainly because we knew the area having spent most of our holidays there.
.
.
It took a couple of days to get to the Welsh coast and our first stop for the night was usually at The Long Mynd in Shropshire. We were knackered when we got to Church Stretton and then to cap it all, had to get our bikes up the hillside road, over the summit and down to Bridges hostel.
.

.
The road down from the summit. (photo by Jonathan Billinger)
.

.
The Youth hostel at Bridges. (photo by Richard Law)
They were exciting times - what a shame the children of today
will never know the freedom we enjoyed.
Better stop now - these tales could go on for ever.
.

I love your old photos and tales Uncle, more please. My Dad used to "do up" old bikes for us too. I don't know anyone nowdays who does that. I agree, we had more freedom, we would go off for the whole day, with my neighbors little dog, paddling in the Brent and hunting for golf balls, only returning home at tea time.
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Kath. At least someone likes old photos and tales. :)
ReplyDeleteI had three brothers and a sister so there were plenty of old bikes to do up. Not only bikes, as I remember an old doll's pram getting a repaint for young Jean.
During the 40's new bikes were rare; all the materials went towards the war effort. My father pulled off a miracle, when for my birthday they gave me a shiny new blue Schwinn two wheeler. It remains one of my favorite gifts.
ReplyDeleteExactly right Myrna. Everything was re-cycled and refurbished. My mum and dad made all our toys for us. Mother making soft toys and Dad out in his workshop.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine trying to cycle up the Long Mynd. Cycling down would be rather alarming too.
ReplyDeleteSorry Cherie, I must have missed your comment down here.
ReplyDeleteWe pushed our bike up the hill if I remember correctly and can't recall the decent.