Monday, 22 June 2009

"Is this the Way to Wareham?"

.
Following on from this mornings bit on bicycles made for two, I did a bit of digging around and came up with a few more pictures.
This first one is most likely to be of the type of bicycle in question.


As you can see the lady sat in front and simply helped with the pedalling.


The steering was the responsibility of the gentleman sitting behind.
So in simple terms....the lady in front had no idea of where she was going!

This little picture is not the best I'm afraid because it was enlarged from a cigarette card......but you get the idea.

It is just as well that there was not so much traffic about, as sitting out in front with no control of the steering or brakes, must have been a wee bit scary, to say the least!

If the lady was wearing a large-ish hat or bonnet, that would also block the view of the bloke doing the steering!





And now for a little humour to finish off.

.
An up-to-date young maiden, appropriately dressed,
Came down the road on her machine, in 'bloomers', coat and vest.
To reach the town of Wareham, she started out that day,
but feared that at some turning, she may have missed her way.
She hailed a local farmer, who answered to her call.
He stared at bike and costume, the 'bloomers' most of all.
"Is this the way to Wareham?" she asked in voice refined.
"The way to wear 'em? I don't know ---
I never wear that kind !"
.

2 comments:

  1. I'd rather be on the back of a Harley Davidson with my long skirt billowing out behind, hanging onto some tattooed dude for dear life and nagging directly into his ear that he's going too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, how right you are Jan.
    But I suppose these ladies of a hundred years ago, found riding these bikes exciting.
    I thought you enjoyed riding horses?
    Motorbikes and horses don't mix too well in this 'neck of the woods'.
    Cheers.....Bernard

    ReplyDelete